SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How do you remove pasta from a large pot?

Lars
13 years ago

I'm not asking for instructions, but I am curious how different people perform this task. I thought of the question because of the favorite burner thread. I use a very large stock pot for boiling pasta, and then I remove it with a large strainer with a long handle into individual pasta plates that have been heated in the sink with ladles of the hot pasta water. That is why I like having my high heat burner in the front and on the same side as the sink. I never serve pasta in regular plates (unless it is a side dish), and I never serve pasta in a serving bowl or plate. This is probably because there are just two of us. I used to boil pasta in a pot that had a strainer inside, and then I would just lift the strainer to get the pasta, but this often caused a lot of water to come out of the pot and spill all over the place. If I'm cooling linguini or fettucini, I often use tongs instead of a strainer to remove it. For a while, I tried pouring the entire pot into a colandar or strainer in the sink with the pasta plates beneath, but this got messy as well. The pastas I cook the most often are rotini, rotelli, and ravioli. I used to cook long skinny pasta more often, but I haven't lately. Occasionally I will put the pasta directly into the pan that has the sauce, but only if I know that the proportions will match exactly.

I'm wondering how set in their ways people are with this type of cooking. I used to be flexible, but once I figured out what worked best for me, I haven't gone back.

Lars

Comments (22)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES