SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckent_gw

Unknowingly cut couple of trees that were on property line

CKent
10 years ago

Hello all-

Hope all are doing great.

This is my first post so pardon any ignorance about posting.

So I am new homeowner (2 yrs) and I have been really harassed by neighbors dogs that are crapping in my yard, lawn.

Almost all neighbors around me (front, left ) have dogs. I am work from M-F so I am not really sure whose dogs are really crapping in my yard. Anyway, that is the not the problem here.

Finally I decided to put a fence around my property to take care of this issue. I never complained to my neighbors as I did not have any idea whose dogs are really the culprit.

I had 3-4 trees on the property line. Since I wanted to put a fence and my assumption so far was that those are my trees, I cut those tress from the bottom and that is where this all started. Note that I did not have an idea whether trees were on property line.

Next day my neighbor (old gentleman) came to me and and in kind of pissed sound told me that I cut his (he initially claimed those were his trees) trees and he needs those back (in whatever ways).

He then showed me the property line and then I realized that the trees were actually on the property line and not entirely on his side. Anyway, that doesn't really help me as I understood that, tress that are on property line are property of both and no one neighbor can just go and cut those.

My neighbor mad a big deal out of it (tree were about 10-15 ft tall) and told me to replace those by any means.

First of all, I will admit that I should have done the due diligence on this and talked to him in advance but anyway...

What are my options here? Is this a serious deal? As I mentioned I am new home owner and do not have much idea about such issues.

My plan is to get stump removed (stump grinder method) and then replace the old trees with the similar new trees (may be 2-3 trees of height 5-6 ft each). I am planning to plant those trees completely on neighbor's side as I am not interested in having any trees there. I also want to make sure he signs a waiver after all is done and take the complete ownership of these going forward. I am also going to work with my neighbor so that he understand this.

Anyway, is this fair plan? Do you think there is something else I will liable for?

Looking forward to your help and guidance.

Comments (23)