SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

What's for Dinner #262

hawk307
16 years ago

Looks like everyone wanted to stay over. so I'll start a new Post.

I had some Shrimp Marinara Sauce leftover from the

Tiella ,

so I added some Imitation Crab Meat to it and had it with Spaghetti.

Comments (99)

• bunnyman
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I least I get to look at good food. Had a candy bar and chocolate milk for "food" yesterday. Today is going to be much the same unless I buy a hotdog or something. Food I could Poof but that sounds like more effort then I'm up to.

Hope you are feeling better Annie. Perhaps your imaginary daughter could make you some soup?

: )
    lyra

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Sharon/chase, I love the picture of the raccoon stealing you blind under the watchful eye of your killer kitty. The freakin' nerve.
    I'm glad you're back to posting beautiful dinner pictures.

Sol, is that a panaforte in the pic on the left of the scones? I almost bought one this year, and thought...no...wait til I can get a piece in Italy.

Maureen, no panforte. It's just Mexican chocolate.
    And you actually cooked pasta in a pressure cooker, in just five minutes? I learned something new today. I wish I didn't have any issues with pressure cookers, but after witnessing several explosions (not my own) I've made sure to avoid them, both.
    Btw, when you go to Italy, could you make some room in your luggage for one stowaway? I'll be very quiet, and I smell good. Please, let's make arrangements.

Sharon, all your pictures are wonderful, but the last one with the Lime blossom and the bee is my absolute favorite.

Oh Sol...Kamren adores Ann's scones with chocolate chips..they are his favorite..Last time I made them with hand cut semi sweet chocolate..He ate all 8 over a few days all by himself. LOL

Terri, with Kamren as my partner in crime, we could easily inhale Chocolate Scones in less than an hour, not days.
    I used the same recipe I've posted before for Cranberry Cream Scones, but subbed coarsely chopped Lindt chocolate.
    Don't let word of this get out, but, the Chocolate Scones are now history!

Oh and Luigi, I HATE YOU TOO!....with a passion.

Jain, Jain, Jain, did you really think we were going to let that Lovely Box of Wonders freeze to death outside?
    Jim brought it into the house when he got home yesterday, and I didn't get to rip it open until I got home, later that evening. I must now take a good picture of this here beauty (while we still have some daylight left), and post it here for all to see.
    In the meantime, I must also come up with the proper words to describe my gratitude for this incredibly lovely surprise. Thank you, thank you, my dear Jain!

Sol

• Related Discussions

Does anyone know this rose? (photos)

Q

Comments (33)
    Hi Everyone..... Well, certainly some of the photos of Arizona on HMF look like mine, but there seems to be a huge variation in the bloom coloration and form on there. Whereas mine is more a deep orange and tightly-petalled, some of the photos show blooms more of the yellow coloring, and some with red to the edges. I wish I could see a bloom of Arizona in person! Because of the inconsistency of the photos I'd have to say its a strong contender, but I still am puzzled about the lack of fragrance of mine. Arizona is reported to be fragrant....mine definitely is not. Since I know detecting fragrance differs from person to person I would not base this on just my opinion alone. Dozens of people took sniffs of my rose all throughout the summer at different times and no one detected any scent whatsoever. Roses right next to it did have fragrance, so I don't think its the soil or the climate that caused the lack of scent. It just isn't fragrant at all.... I am under the impression that Jung's does get all their roses from Edmund's....they don't grow any themselves. Therefore, they couldn't help me with the identity. Thank you again to everyone for your help! I am amazed so many people jumped in to help! Celeste
    ...See More

Gina-recipe for shrimp sauce?

Q

Comments (7)
    Here you go Robin. I may start calling this one "Chase's Shrimp Scampi" since I know she loves this recipe! I do too - it's as easy as can be and delicious. I've made it for friends multiple times and it always gets raves too. Note: This is so fast. By the time the pasta is cooked the shrimp sauce is ready to eat. So have your salad, bread, drinks, whatever ready! Linguine with Shrimp Scampi (Barefoot Contessa) Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 1 1/2 teaspoons 3/4 pound linguine 3 tablespoons unsalted butter 2 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves) 1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves 1/2 lemon, zest grated 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons) 1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Sol, it was Kamren's idea to make "plain" with chocolate chips after making Ann's Chocolate Scone Strawberry shortcake..he thought they were a bit to chocolatey for him (I loved them!) but he said "momma make them white with chocolate chips"..so I did..and they are his favorite snack!

• shaun
    16 years ago

Well today is my oldest daughter's 25th birthday! I can't believe it.

Her request is Shrimp Pasta.

So my menu is Shrimp Pasta, Fresh Asparagus (roasted with whole garlic and olive oil) hearts of romain with mandarin oranges, almonds and rice noodles, and garlic bread. My youngest daughter (23 yrs old made the b-day cake, yellow cake w/chocolate frosting, in the shape of a castle)

I'll post pictures later after the food is cooked! (gosh I hope I remember!!)

As usual, I love all the pictures you guys. Rock on with your bad selves.

• shaun
    16 years ago

Ann and Annie I do hope you both feel better soon.

• User
    16 years ago

Happy Bday to your daughter Shaun, dinner sounds yummy!

Lucky you sol...I love, love lemon anything !

Nancy do you have a recipe? I have some vintage eye of the round that needs dealing with.

Sharon you live in heaven, thanks so much for sharing your pictures. I look forward to them every day.

Ann, Lori's halibut is a favourite here too, maybe next week.

Michelle's post about her stock and brown sauce got me jonesing for something with brown sauce. I took some of my brown sauce from the freezer and added sauted mushrooms and served over pork tenderloin medallions.

Started dinner with a Greek style salad. That's three salads in three nights, Ken would be impressed!

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Oh, what doesn't look good here!?!?! It's like being in a restaurant where the whole menu looks good. A delightful problem, right?

I've been trying to avoid buying anything at the grocery while Dick is gone, since we have plenty to eat here. Plenty. I've done some fridge/freezer clean out and having the pork bone and the ham bone simmering away gave some needed steam to a dry house as well as yummy scents.

Dinner tonight was half those shrimp finally. In the end I added a packet of frozen roasted eggplant and a heel of mozzarella along with the feta. I kept one shrimp whole which you can see on the fork if you click on the pic.

Those cinnamon chip scones didn't get made...what DID I do with that recipe? ao I made Oatmeal Maple ones. Not the sweetest ones but I did manage to eat three of them today!
    Uncooked

and baked

I may need to hide them from myself!! Please note the early Mardi Gras coloring. ;-)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone: There are too many things going on here, to
    comment.
    Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest, so I'm gone for a bit.
    I don't want to get bit.
    Working on some Photo's of the Yellow Cake mix, with yeast.

I forget who I talked to about that, Maybe Annie ?????

Made Cinnamon Bunns with the Dough, best yet !

Kim:
    How did you know the Blue Jay was a Carving? Bad pictures.
    I can't get my camera to focus right.

Woodie:
    I wasn't trying to trick yau'll, just didn't say it was my neighbor's house.

Annie:
    That Bear thing, happens here a lot, down the Rifle Range.

We would be standing there talking, and one of them big guys would stand up, from behind some Blackberry bushes,
    to see what all the noise was about, then go right back to
    eating.

Here is another view of the Blue Jays but I have to get better detailed photo's.

{{gwi:1479787}}

Sharon:
    Here is a shot for you, from my archives.

{{gwi:1479788}}

Ann and Michele: Hope you are doing good ?
    Sol : Isn't love grand ?

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Well, first off I Have to say I laughed out loud at bunnyman's comment:
    "Hope you are feeling better Annie. Perhaps your imaginary daughter could make you some soup? "

Snort!

Okay, moving on...

Gonna have to try the Bourbon Chicken soon! Yum!

That pressure cooker pasta looks amazing! However, I too have a healthy fear of PC's.

Had a day from hell at work today, must have been the full moon, everyone was cranky!

Came home, made sloppy joes and sweet potatoe fries (another thread). Loved the "joes". Used some of the chili sauce I got from Sharon....holy, moly is that good stuff! Sorry, Sharon that I used it in lowly sloppy joes, but d@mn! They were good! LOL

As for the sweet potato fries....well, let's just say I reaffirmed my dislike for sweet potatoes. I think it's a texture thing...

Tomorrow will be something stellar, I am sure of it!

Linda

• lynnalexandra
    16 years ago

I agree Lou - way too much going on to do it justice with comments. I did read the whole thread - felt inspired, impressed, very hungry, etc. By the time I got to the end, I can no longer recap most of it.

I do want to say that not only is this food scrumptious, the pictures are amazing. I just ordered a new computer. My goal for this year is to catch up with technology (at least a little). My first project is getting a website for my work (psychology). Then I need to learn how to use my computer better - including editing digital photos. The photos here are amazing. Lee - I would love your backgrounds and writing. Can't wait until I can do that.

Dinner tonight was MJ's mediterranean loaf and roasted fingerling potatoes. I really liked the loaf, but made one mistake. Once I started cooking, I realized the only oats i had were steel cut - so the meatloaf was very tasty, but a little more crunchy than I'm used to. Definitely worth doing again - with regular oats (and maybe more feta and kalamata).

Lynn.

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Just a flyby Good Night from me - I'm finishing up paperwork and then packing to leave early in the AM for a biz trip to San Francisco. I might be able to lurk a little but probably can't post until I get back on Wednesday.

Lynn, thank you, my background is my almost black breakfast room table with my camera aimed down to avoid other things in the background. When I take a shot at night, the colors seem better on the black back ground. When you are ready just ask about adding text to your photos. You'll get lots of help. Although I have three programs that can do it, I tend to use a really quick free little program, Irfanview, for resizing and adding text. It's easy.

Dinner was "Planned over" Pork Chile Verde (Ann T's recipe that we love), tortillas, and chopped lettuce, tomato and avocado.

See y'all Wednesday.

Lee

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Lynn, posting on Flickr now gives you free editing thru a program they provide called Picnik. It is sooo easy, it's well worth trying. (Once your photo is up, you have the option of editing.) Maureen

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Great salad Sharon....that's what we like too!

Nancy your food looks delicious. I've never heard of a Spanish bar cake...looks interesting!

Maureen those scones look lovely...and so does the shrimp Mmm. Here we've got the carnival season now which coincides with Mardi Gras. The local TV is full of costumed groups and it will go on for quite a while as it's a big celebration here in Canaries.

Yesterday I was busy in the morning so picked up a German brand of frozen fish with dill sauce at the supermarket on my way home for lunch. Steamed my usual big pot of vegetables and cooked the fish in the frying pan as directed on the package.

They were two fillets of a nice white fish .....couldn't find out which fish it was though. The fillets were a little small but that was okay as I'd made a big fresh fruit salad for dessert. Our favourite mixture, with papaya, pear, kiwi, strawberries, banana, tangerine and the juice of two fresh oranges squeezed over all.

Photos: fish and fruit, garden this sunny morning, Suzie lapping up the rays, Blackie keeping in the shade under a patio chair and sitting in the dish I use for their dry catfood, (if anything is round, she'll sit on it), and one of our resident blackbirds having his morning swim in our little "pond".

Have a good weekend all and drive safely!

SharonCb

• shaun
    16 years ago

Well I took pictures of my daughter's birthday dinner and jazzed them all up really dandy lookin but I resized them all and now you can't see them! waaaaaaaaaaaa!

{{gwi:1479796}} {{gwi:1479797}} {{gwi:1479798}}

• User
    16 years ago

Last night we had Lou's pizza, with turkey pepperoni. Tonite it will be fish, just haven't figured out what yet :)

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Shaun that is what happens to people who flaunt their warm temperatures when others can barely type with stiff cold fingers. ;-)

The colors look good. ;-) I can read Shrimp - uh Dip? Actually that is a shame about the sizing. A small posted link can be enlarged (for the viewer) by clicking so I wouldn't bother resizing them int the future. ymmv of course. Maureen

• shaun
    16 years ago

Maureen! hahahahah!!! You're right - all my smugness came right back and bit me!

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Everything looks so good. Yesterday I made up another batch of chili because it has been so cold here. Salad and Texas Toast rounded out the meal.

Tonight no cooking - eating out with friends at an excellent Asian Rest. I do believe I will be ordering egg rolls and Shrimp in Garlic Sauce. YUM!

• shaun
    16 years ago

Trying again to post a decent size picture.....

{{gwi:1479799}}

{{gwi:1479800}}

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't believe WFD went south ?
    Think it's time for me to do the same.

Here's what I had for supper. Chicken soup with Spinich.
    From the freezer.!!!

{{gwi:1479801}}

Lynn:
    I may need your Professional help, trying to face reality.
    Just joking !!!!! I do need your help.
    Lou

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Shaun, I'm glad you got the pictures up, both the pasta and salad look yummy.

Lou, chicken soup is always good.

Sharon, I'm so sun deprived these days. I really look forward to your bright sunny pictures of Heaven!

A very simple dinner tonight, Sweet and Sour Pork. It's something I used to make all the time but haven't made it in years, until today.

{{gwi:1479802}}

Where is everyone tonight? Must be all out for dinner..

Nancy

• User
    16 years ago

Shaun, I'm so happy you posted a bigger picture. I tried to open the others without any luck. Great birthday dinner.

Sharon, I love the picture of the bird on the bird bath.

Lou, I'd be happy with a bowl of your soup.

Nancy, that looks tasty.

Sharon, Pork tenderloin with mushroom sauce is a favorite of mine. Moe would be happy with three salads in three days. Of course he would be happy if he got three salads in a month.

I started dinner before leaving for work this morning. So all I had to do was cook the rice when I got home. Greek Lamb Shanks with Potato, Green Bean and Zucchini Greek Stew.

• lynnalexandra
    16 years ago

Ann - that is amazing. I absolutely love Greek food. That is cooking and photography I aspire to - SCRUMPTIOUS.

Lou - I'd be happy to help. But that chicken soup looks so comforting, I'm not sure you need anything else.

Lee and Sherry - thanks for the photography encouragement. I must confess to being overwhelmed at the notion of learning new software - or new photo hosting. I kind of got photobucket figured out - although it's quite a lot of steps and I'm sure I'm doing it wrong. I think - once I have a little better handle on basic word processing (and anything new my new computer throws at me), I will have to pick a good photo editign software. Right now I mostly use the Camedia Master 4.1 that came with my camera (about 5 years ago). I understand it fine in terms of editing - but don't know how to organize photos into albums or do much else (except click and drag into other folders). I also sometimes use Picasa - which I suspect is more user friendly, but new to me. So when I'm ready, I'll seek recommendations here. Might as well just learn one good software and not have to keep bouncing around.

Oh - yeah - dinner tonight. Pretty tasty fine cooking recipe - for roasted chicken thighs with sweet potato, parsnips and shallots - with a marinate of olive oil, dijon, balsamic, salt and pepper (then topped with bacon and parsley).

Lynn.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Oh, some good looking food since I last posted. Sorry this is a hit and run......I am baking cookies and don't want any burnt bottoms!

Dinner was lasagna/salad/Gorgonzola-garlic bread.

{{gwi:1479804}}

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holy Mollie! Batman: All the goodies, you guy's are cooking !!!

I made up for last night's, just Soup.

My 2 daughters came up from near Philly; 110 miles,for my Son's Birthday.
    So I decided to loosen up the freezer and cook a Turkey.

{{gwi:1479805}}

It may not be as good as, all of your's but it was bigger, About 16 lb.

We celebrated Thanksgiving again.Had The Birthday Cake and
    Apple Sin Buns; made from Yellow Cake Mix w yeast, for dessert.

The Turkey was really delicious, moist tender and the Stuffing ! mmmmmmmmmeeeh !!!!!!

Lou

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Hey guys....everything looks so delicious and I love Lou's bird pictures and carvings!

I think I over did it with my beef stock and although I was fine my foot was terribly swollen so I've been taking it easy the last couple of days.

However, I did receive my kumquats yesterday. Gosh I just love 'em and I'm planning on canning tomorrow.

The ever adventurous Archie squeeshed into this tiny nook in my office and took a nap!

Michelle

• woodie
    16 years ago

Michelle, what a funny picture of Archie!

We had a deliciously simple dinner last night - grilled Porterhouse steak with sauteed baby bella mushrooms and garlic, baked potato, roasted asparagus and simple romaine salad with red onion and grape tomatoes and roasted red pepper with honey roasted almonds and Maytag blue crumbled on top of sherry viaigrette. Standard steak house fare in the comfort of our own home with a great cab that was a gift from DS who spends more money on wine than we do :)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Woodie: That dog is hiding from,
    Michele, Who is she trying to kid.
    Lou

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Woodie, it must be the weekend for asparagus.

Elery got here Friday afternoon, and we spent Saturday morning at the hospital with Dad, Saturday afternoon chasing stock and fixing fence. And yes, it snowed about 4 inches, just to help things along.

We got home and Elery decided that we should cook the duck he'd brought along. So, into the oven went the duck, after being stuffed with onion and oranges and rubbed with a spice mixture of cumin, black pepper, coriander and salt:

{{gwi:1479809}}

Because the oven was on, I decided to roast some asparagus to go with the duck, and we baked some sweet potatoes, then halved them and sprinkled with shaved parmesan and chopped macadamia nuts.

I caramelized some sugar, added orange juice, vinegar, some seasoning and voila!! Duck l'orange, using the recipe from Joy of Cooking. I think the recipe was first published in 1943, I figured if it was around that long, it was good. Sure enough, it was:

{{gwi:1479810}}

I had baked rye bread the night before:

{{gwi:1479811}}

And, just because I was out, I made 8 quarts of yogurt. I kept two, took two to Amanda and left 4 at Dad's to eat over fruit. I figure it's fast and healthy for both he and stepmom for next week.

{{gwi:1479812}}

Annie

• User
    16 years ago

Everyone's food is looking good ... we had a simple dinner today, chicken & mushrooms and steamed broccoli.

• User
    16 years ago

Woodie, I nice big grilled Porterhouse steak would be nice.

Annie, great looking duck.

Ohiomom, I love mushroom sauces over noodles. Yours looks delicious.

It was Greek again here tonight. I made a big casserole of Greek Cabbage rolls this morning before cooking to work. Moe had his instructions to take them out of the oven when the timer went off. When I got home from work I made a Avgolemono sauce to go with them and we had the leftover potato, green bean and zucchini stew from last night as a side. I made a few meatballs with the leftover cabbage roll filling.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Good Grief! This was not the best thread for me to visit to distract myself from dinner smells (I'm very hungry) until my husband comes home. :S

He's off singing with a quartet tonight,and we decided to have dinner after he came home rather than have it too early. But everything smells so good!

It is pouring rain, has been all day, which often makes me crave beef or bean dishes (sometimes both).

Tonight is a both.

There is a brisket in the oven, marinated in and slathered with bbq sauce, that has been slow cooking for hours. There is a distant cousin of succotash on my stove (it does have lima beans and corn...but also ham, guajillo & ancho chilis, tomatoes, celery, onions and spices) bubbling companionably.
    Left over Tamaki Haiga rice is waiting to steam with leftover roasted yam, and beet greens are ready to quick saute with garlic, olive oil, and salt & pepper.

Winter comfort foods all, and I skipped lunch because I knew I wanted to eat a big dinner (before I remembered that he was going to be out tonight)...not to mention the double vanilla tapioca pudding lurking in the fridge. :0

Oh! Tamaki Haiga is my favorite short-grained, Japanese style rice. It's actually grown in California, and only partially processed. So, it has the wonderful texture and universal appeal of white rice, but with the germ left in, so that more vitamins survive the process, and more flavor without being as overwhelming as brown rice. It's expensive and troublesome to get (at least a 30 minute drive...on a good day), but worth it.

Anyway, y'all have just made me even more hungry! And I love the pics...one day I'll figure out how to post them, and put a few in here and there myself. I did do the whole help page thingy for the forum, but am still at a loss, so I'll have to corner my husband...he'll probably know how to do it.

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Tonight was a very light shrimp Parmesan with a side of garlic bread and ww spaghetti. Made a quick tomato sauce and used the nice big shrimp that Costco sells for about 12.99 a pound...in the kiosk, not the freezers. They're sweet like lobster and cleaned with the shell still on.

Turning in a little early tonight as DH and I have to get back on schedule as I am starting a new job in a week (finally!) and DH has 3 interviews already lined up this week.

Sue

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Good Luck Sue with the start of your new job..I'll keep my fingers crossed for your hubby that one of them is THE job for him!

Dinner has been hit and miss around here the last few days.
    Friday was homemade pizza. I used Lou's dough recipe, but added a bit more White Whole Wheat then he suggested in the wheat department for the guys pizzas. I made them into "deep dish"..Per hubbies request..He said it was pretty good.
    Saturday, we went to friends for dinner. It was grilled pork ribs and chicken, corn on the cob, a hashbrown casserole, ceasar salad and bbq beans, oh and their 8th grade son made Kraft Fudge.. He did good.. I brought caramel dip (cream cheese and brown sugar)with sliced pears, apples and Gluten Free gingersnaps.
    Tonight was Dairy Queen..We haven't eaten fastfood in nearly 3 weeks. Quite a record for the boys!

Tomorrow will be Smokey BBQ Rubbed Chicken, probably baked though. Haven't decided on the rest..other than making hubby Nanner Puddin!

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Plenty of good cooking going on here and lovely photos everyone! Making me hungry as I still have to get in the kitchen and make our lunch.
    But I'll describe a couple of our recent meals before I start cooking again:

We had to go near the French restaurant on Friday so we couldn't just pass by without stopping for lunch. Wolf had his favourite Salade Niçoise.....now with both anchovies and tuna (new chef) and I had tarragon chicken.....I remember seeing Sol's luscious tarragon chicken the other day so I had a craving! Yesterday I bought a lovely bunch of basil and just had to make fresh pesto....how I do love that stuff!
    We had it over whole wheat brown spaghetti with a tossed salad. They went so well together.

Yesterday was overcast so Blackie & Bunny spent the morning sitting on the patio table hoping for some sun, but looking a little glum.
    And in the morning I was able to catch pics of one of the little birds that are so common here: Parus Caeruleus Teneriffae.....common English name is Blue Tit ....(okay go ahead Jessy). And the roses are in full bloom right now.....one of my favourites is Granada, seen here.

Another overcast but mild day, and carnival is in full swing on the islands. Music and costumes everywhere!

SharonCb

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Lou, your turkey looks perfect.

Michelle, I love that dog pic! LOL!

Annie, I've only had duck once. When I was single and "bought" a bachelor at one of those auctions...He cooked and made duck. I don't remember how it tasted!

oh Ann, those greek cabbage rolls look amazing. That was another of your recipes that caught my eye the other day when I was re-checking out Thibeault's Table.

rachelellen - a singing husband - very cool. I've never heard of Tamaki Haiga. I wonder if they have it at Wegman's?

Keep trying, I'd love to see some pics.

Sue, those shrimp sound good - I wish we had a costco.

Terri, I hope you post a pic of that chicken - sounds yummy.

Ooh, Sharon, your pesto has me craving it. I will have to do that with DH gone this week.

Will's tummy has been "off" for a few days - last night he requested a salad again. He ate half. So unlike him.

{{gwi:1479823}}

Stacy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Stacy, that Salad looks amazing!
    I wish my kids would request a salad...I'd be in heaven! LOL

I've shared pictures of the chickens before..but I'll take new ones..

It's snowing today...so perfect day for roast chicken!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Stacy, I have to admit that I wouldn't follow the temperature directions next time. The recipe said 170 in the thigh and it was still a bit "rare" for my taste, I'd have baked it another half an hour!

The salad looks very, very good, maybe I'll have one for dinner tonight, while I'm trying to figure out how to use leftover duck, LOL.

Ah, the kitty weather report, I love it. Here it's 43F and raining. More rain tomorrow, but a high of 13 on Wednesday, go figure. Michigan certainly has lots of weather. (grin) Ineed to get up on the roof tonight with some ice melt or I'll have an ice dam and a roof leak. Imight make some soup after that, although I'm leaning toward cabbage rolls for Dad's freezer since seeing AnnT's WFD...

Annie

• shaun
    16 years ago

Stacy I hope Will feels better soon.

Oh Ann PLEASE??? Can I come live with you? I want your food. Those lamb shanks are beautiful! Look at that bone it looks so sparkley! hahah!

Annie please be careful up on the roof.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I love sweet and sour pork but DH isn't crazy about it. Saturday I shopped for food for like the first time this year! The cupboard was so bare. I made steelhead trout (fresh at Sprouts market), mashed yukon gold taters and braised baby swiss chard. DH decided it's okay for him to eat a little more carbs like potatoes, as long as he watches portions. I agreed.

Not sure about tonight - I have a Rachael Ray recipe for cod croquettes I might make, or another recipe for tarragon chicken pot pie with cheesy polenta topping. If I can find fresh tarragon today I think I'll try that. My food-related new year's resolution is to make new recipes each week.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Stacy3 wrote: I've never heard of Tamaki Haiga. I wonder if they have it at Wegman's?

I don't know. However, Tamaki has a website that provides retail locations:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamaki Rice Web Site

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Annie, those cabbage rolls do make for a craving to start, don't they! And I've never eaten them....I know I'd love them though..all my favorite ingredients...

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Well, Dick is back from New Orleans...with pralines for me, and a terrible cold and a cough that is scary. From the sound of those coldish rainy days down there I'm not surprised. He said they did a lot of standing around waiting at the Habitat projects and when a conference is over, I know his immune system seems to drop. So after the airport it was soup for both of us...my red lentil for me, and a canned beef one for him doctored with a good dash of chimayo red chile pepper. Kill those germs!

Tonight we had lemon pasta with the last shrimp and frozen brocolli and cauli mixed in. Whole wheat spaghetti that surprised me when I got the box out of the pantry. "Gosh, this feels light!" Yes, it did...12+oz instead of the usual 16oz.

No pictures tonight and probably none tomorrow unless I get Dick to take a pic of the chile mac I made him. That's his kind of comfort food.

• User
    16 years ago

Stacy, gorgeous salad.

Sharon, cute pic of Blackie and Bunny. Is Bunny feeling better now?

Bought a small piece of veal tenderloin and used it to make Veal Piccata for dinner. Fettucine Alfredo on the side.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

I've been gone so much, but y'all are still here, making great looking meals. I couldn't possibly catch up, but I've been thinking of everyone. Oh my gosh Ann! I love love love piccata. Veal, chicken, mmm. I'm not even one iota hungry and I'd eat that if it was in front of me. How can I follow that? We had toasted crusty bread slatered in garlic and sprinkled with cheese, chianti and lasagne (Lou, you bad influence with all your glistening photos of delicious Italian food beckoning me!).

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I took the wrong package out yesterday - linguica instead of cod. So I made sausage and peppers pasta last night, with a salad. I'll attempt the cod croquettes tonight.

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Oh Ann, your photos are always mouth watering, but piccata is one of my very favorites, and that alfredo looks so sinfully good! I'm drooling here!

We're having company tonight... The plan is arugala salad with feta, apples, and walnuts, then spinach stuffed shells, and an apple rhubarb crisp for desert...

Emily

• msazadi
    16 years ago

not sure why that brown border looks purple..?!???!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Maureen, you've got the picture as a clickable link, that's why there's a blue border around it.

• lynnalexandra
    16 years ago

Oh, Maureen - I don't know which I need more - the template class you took - or those wonderful scones. I guess I need the class more - But I want the scones.

Ann - I too love piccata. I tried cooking it once and it was just okay (overdid the chicken), but it's a dish I'd like to keep trying with. Yours is mouthwatering.

I half improvised dinner tonight (an accomplishment for me). I made pasta aglio olio (with sauteed spinach added in). I keep trying to make simple, tasty pasta dishes. This one was pretty good (I only burnt the garlic a tad).

Lynn.