SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Does this ever happen to you?

Oakley
13 years ago

This bothers the heck out of me. But I think this lady was the exception.

I went to the grocery store, bought $200 in food for the upcoming snow storm. That's a lot of food, including pet food, etc. and a 15 min. drive home.

Here's how the convo went between me and the checkout lady while she was checking me out.

Me: Could I have a bag to put this in away from the other things?

Her: Why?

Me: I just need to.

Me: Could I have a bag to put this milk in? (I handed it to her before she finished checking me out)

Me: I want to put the heavy things in the bottom of the cart.

Her..looking at some Tabouli I bought. This looks good. It's not expensive either. While she takes her time inspecting the bag and not checking me out.

Her: Did you go to Church today or are you going this afternoon?

Me: No

Me: Could you put all the breads together?

Me: Because they'll get smashed with heavier items in the bag. (At least she had the good sense to put chips in their own bag!)

And on and on it went.

One time I had a checkout guy look at EVERY song on a CD I bought, and I finally had to tell him I was in a hurry!

Now I love people, but IMO, when one is checking out there shouldn't be that much small talk and especially such personal questions.

She was very friendly though. lol

Comments (31)

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I never seem to hit the 'good' cashiers. Either they're waaaay too chatty, and pause between items to discuss them or tell some story (inevitably I'm in a hurry at that time); or they're the crabbiest, most unfriendly ones I've encountered.

When I do have a good one, I make sure to tell their manager.

I have had to tell a few not to bag the bread with the canned food, or not to put ALL the cans in one bag. The worst is when I go to Costco, and they put all the heavily laden boxes on the bottom of the cart. Oy, my back!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pesky, the store I go to, ALL the checkers put the bread in with cans and stuff, even women, who should know that's a big No-No.

Now I do want all cans in a bag as long as I can carry it, that way it can go at the bottom of my cart while the bread and stuff goes on top...and if I'm too tired to put all the food away when I get home, I can just leave the canned goods in the bag.

From personal experience, checking people out is a hard job, so why don't they have common sense?

• Related Discussions

Appliances Installed today

Q

Comments (2)
    Doesn't sound like they put the machine all the way into the cabinet.
    ...See More

Eyes and fluorescent lighting

Q

Comments (20)
    Oak, I had a similar reaction when I went to the newer Walmart a couple of weeks ago--I have only been to it a handful of times. It is dark in the same area you talk about, and my eyes water enough to make my vision blurry in the other side! It's the strangest thing. I won't go to that one again, it was a waste of time----couldn't find anything because of the weird arrangement of isles! The older one is easy if I really have to go to a Walmart, which I'd rather not. Sometimes it's just handy if I'm driving by... I had a friend that had dizziness due to lighting in the hospital cafeteria. I kind of feel that way in Walmart.
    ...See More

I'm going through 'Mentalpause'

Q

Comments (46)
    I surprised myself last year....got blue drapes & blue/gold/taupey bedding. I already had Wilmington Tan walls & it worked. I plan on painting my master bath a blue color - it has a limestone counter & travertine flooring/tiles. I find it very peaceful. My MIL had her LR/DR in the 60's done in celery & blue - I have seen pics & it was gorgeous. It would work today - she used classic pieces & antiques. Here is an old shot of my bedroom...I have changed to a white matelasse & plan on getting a Target upholstered headboard. I also plan on painting the nightstands a crusty blue. Oh, and changing out the pic frames on nightstand & what else??..... This was a chair my neighbor gave me a long time ago - found a cute blue/tan zebra print for it. I love the rug that you got. Kmcg & Funky - (love your headboard) - your rooms will be gorgeous with the flax bosporus!! I am using the brighter colorway in my guestbed & maybe living room. Smiles:)
    ...See More

Mourning a fictional character

Q

Comments (30)
    I did read it Liz! I even paid for the hardback because I like the series so much. I am mixed about seeing it into a movie. It would be fun to see the books come to life but I worry that the actors won't give these characters justice. I think Emily Deschanel would be a great Eve. She looks a bit how I picture her and I think she could pull off the hardness and passion mixed with awkwardness that is Eve! Her character in "Bones" seems very similar. Game of Thrones is much, much heavier. I find myself skimming parts and getting confused over so many characters but the story line is really interesting.
    ...See More
  • natal
    13 years ago

Most people have to be taught how to properly bag groceries and I seriously doubt that most stores take the time anymore.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Solution is to bag your own; watch how annoyed they get then. Most don't want to even speak to you after you tell them you have your own bags & will bag your own. I swear they get offended. I distribute items evenly; or try to anyway; the top of the bags are usually for bread; eggs & cookies.

I hate plastic bags; hate to have the cashier bag for me because they put little in every bag. For the days I forget to bring bags in; I used to tell them to pack them full; they don't. I would rather throw stuff back in my cart unbagged & do it when I get to the car then to have them bag my stuff.

It's rare I get a cashier that speaks to me; especially in my local Walmart. Too bad the screen doesn't ask if the cashier was pleasant because I'd have to say no most times. I've been lucking out the last few times I've gone & gotten the same older lady who is actually nice & works well with me.

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

Here's what I do: When I am putting my groceries on the belt, I group like things together, colds and frozens, produce, heavy items (these go first) and hold out the fragile things till the end. I also ask that milk or juice be put in a bag. They never seem to want to do that. Have you ever had a leaky milk jug in your car? Ugh, the smell is awful. Always ask for milk to be put in a bag, preferably plastic.

At Costco, I ask for boxes to be placed on top of my order EMPTY. That way I can put items in the boxes as I load the car and I'm not trying to lift an overloaded box.

Most of you probably already do this, but for those that haven't thought about it, I hope you will find it helpful.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Covington, I do exactly the same thing, hoping they get the hint. Nope. I have to tell them to keep the cold foods together, especially in the summer.

Natal, these are grown women who've been grocery shopping for a good 50 years. So you'd think they'd know from personal experience not to put something heavy with the bread, and not to put something heavy on top of the corndogs. hee.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh,I forgot more she said.

While she was taking the portable checker to do the dog food and stuff, she goes:

"That's a nice purse." (the big D&B leather purse) Then we talked about my purse.

When it was time to check out I had to show my DL since it was over $200.

Her: I like your purse (meaning my wallet)

Me: Thanks!

Her: Where'd you get it?

Me: Vera Bradley

Her: What's that?

Me: You can order it online or go to a Hallmark store.

Dead silence. lol

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I would have poked her eyes out. ;D

• deegw
    13 years ago

I occasionally shop at a grocery store that caters to really rich, really old people. People who get dressed up, grab their walkers and go on shopping outings with their live in care takers. The old folks are fine but some of the people who work there are overly solicitous.

The other day I was in the store and purposely avoided the line of an older woman who makes conversation about every item you buy. The manager directed me to her line because it was shorter. I didn't feel like having the "that cashier drives me crazy" conversation so I just bit my tongue and moved. Of course, I am in chatty Cathy's line long after my orginal line cleared out.

• iread06
    13 years ago

Let me now praise Publix. The cashiers in every Publix I've ever been in are pleasant, friendly, helpful, know how to bag properly, and don't make personal comments about purchases. I asked a manager where they got such great workers, and she said, "We train them!"

Too bad Publix doesn't teach customer service to everyone else I have to deal with. Are you listening, Wal-Mart?
    Pat

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Doesn't sound like she was being too personal - more than likely trying to make small talk.

The store I frequent, for the most part, has good baggers. My favorite baggers are a mid-20's guy who is learning disabled. There is also an older man that I love. I don't know if they get any training, but most seem to know what to bag together and what to seperate. Cashiers don't bag and you don't unload your own groceries.

tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't mind small talk, there's a lady there whom I like to checkout with, and she and I talk about weather, all sorts of interesting things while she can ring up my groceries at the same time.

The lady today got too personal. I didn't mind the Church question, but when she kept asking me "Why?" it got kind of crazy.

I expected her to be one of those people who ask what you paid for something...like my purse. She doesn't want to know. My dh still doesn't know. ;)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I would have said I go to church on Saturday for the early morning service because I hate to miss the ritual goat slaughter.... (big happy eyes here) " last week i got the heart!"

That normally shuts them up :).

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

Wow, Igloo! I didn't know you were there, too! I'll look for you next Saturday morning and we can go out for coffee after the service!

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I'm with Tina, the best store for shopping has a disabled guy I love and he does such a great job. He is also very astute and I enjoy the conversations he starts, he never misses a beat in getting things bagged right and fast. I always make sure he is the bagger when selecting checkout.

Of course we all know the line chosen, even if we peruse the lines, is going to be the slowest. And if I need help with the huge box or bag beyond my ability to lift....it takes forever to get help. Not unusual to walk out and have struggle it myself, somehow the help must sense this and disappear into oblivion. Can't even find them in the parking lot.

Read somewhere that the fastest checkout will be behind a "guy". Actually works the majority of time.

If my canned goods were with the bread or other problems like meat, milk, bleach...not double bagged, I would ask to redo whatever needs to be. Can't imagine the possibility of these items leaking in the car.

The why questions would make me grumpy.....in a hurry or not. Service is becoming less and less. Maybe they had a meeting about better service and this is the best she could come up with.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

I shop at Wegman's (can you hear the angels singing?). They have excellent staff, in every position, but there are two cashiers I will avoid. One because she is so slow and methodical it makes me want to scream. She doesn't talk at all, just ever so slowly picks up an item, scans it, bags it, and reaches for the next item. Another because she just makes me a little uncomfortable and I'm not sure why. All the others always friendly & polite and not nosy. Wegman's prides itself on their customer service and it shows.

Once I was in the store and every staff member was being excessively polite & helpful. I couldn't walk 4 feet without someone asking "can I help you find something?". Turns out Danny Wegman (the big boss) was in the store so nice & helpful employees turned into maniacally helpful employees. He was wearing one of the summer colorful tees that employees wear and all the sycophants, I mean managers, were in shirts and ties and beaming with enthusiasm.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Lol hh. Every once in a while lowes has a staff meeting that some mucky muck district manager must attend because while you can never get help when you need it any other day, on those days they are literally stalking the isles and hiding behind the paint buckets to jump out and ask "can I help you!!!!!".

Mind you, I know that the likely hood of any of them actually being able to help you is slim to zippo so the constant badgering is rendered even more annoying on those days.

The last time I experienced the hell of helpful day I nearly stopped in the lighting isle with the intention of screaming I HAVE A GUN!!!! NO YOU CAN NOT HELP ME!

But one thing the little brainless twits can do is use the phone (they are constantly on it discussing breaks and lunch) so I suppose they would call 911 and I'd never get my cheesy part....unless the police spent a few mins being over helped....then I think they're be willing to run cover for me....

I'm sorry what were we discussing? Heh heh

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's a disabled man who works at the Walmart where I bought my groceries, and he is one snoopy man. He comments on everything I buy, and he's the one who read the back of the CD I bought. This sounds awful, but I try to avoid him.

The people I feel sorry for are those at Walmart and sometimes when I walk into the store they're having one of those "rah-rah" sessions in front of everyone. One lady who worked there told me it's so embarrassing to do that in front of customers.

When I was in college I worked at a Roy Rogers hamburger joint, and when people left I was told to say "Happy Trails" to them. I absolutely refused!

I hate how those places demean their workers.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

How about when you call a business and they say something like "it's a great day to shop at really long store name, where our friendly sales associates always greet you with a smile, how can I make your day happier?" or some such long winded nonsense? And you are just calling to find out what their hours are. It makes me not want to do business with them at all!

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

With all of the negativity and sadness in the world, I try to lighten up and not let any of these issues bother me. It's really no big deal to me if a checker asks too many questions or doesn't bag quite perfectly. As long as they are nice, that's all I care or even think about....unless I'm in the middle of a panic attack.

Any store that hires a person who is challenged gets extra kudos from me.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

With all of the negativity and sadness in the world, I try to lighten up and not let any of these issues bother me. EXACTLY Marlene! So small in the big picture.

I'd like to post this as a mantra on some of the other posts today which have turned a bit negative and catty!

tina

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

marlene and tina - you are both better people than me. I know that how I react to these situations really depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all, other times it drives me crazy.
    To the point though of things like groceries being bagged properly. This is something that businesses should be training their employees in. It seem that years ago baggers were trained in how to properly bag groceries with heavier items on the bottom, bread and other "squishables" on top. It's kind of sad that more people don't take pride in doing their job properly.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I usually bag my own groceries. Easier to put them away when I get them home. My store doesn't mind and probably prefers that I do my own.

With regard to the chat, I don't mind at all. What I do mind is the cashier who acts as tho she is doing me a favor by checking me out.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Oh terriks - I totally get you. My thoughts actually were not on the bagging itself. Not to say I am never in a mood myself, but I really TRY to give people the benefit of doubt.

I'm talking about the name calling, the picking someone to death (other threads), etc. I don't mind someone making conversation with me, would prefer that to someone not speaking. When hubby shops with me, he bags. I do make a point to speak to my bagger and thank him/her.

tina

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

Tina, your post to Terriks nailed it for me (except I don't do my own bagging...anyone would be better than I).

• igloochic
    13 years ago

FV coffee and blood sausage? :p. Heh heh

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Hhireno, yes, I can hear the angels singing! I adore Wegmans, but it's no longer a part of my life due to a change of location. Boo Hoo!

I'm usually the person who is encouraging the cashiers to talk! I care about interacting with the staff of the stores I frequent, wherever I go! That's as important to me as getting my groceries, plants, light bulbs, books, or whatever.

The places that disappoint me are the ones where it is impossible to draw out the staff. My library is one of those places. The employees, in spite of my efforts to be friendly and engaging, will not make eye contact, and they refuse to chat or even smile. It seems so impersonal and cold.

We're all in this world together, and I view each public place I enter as an opportunity to meet people and interact with them. I'd rather have my books checked in more slowly by a person who acts like a person, than have them quickly and efficiently "processed into the system" by someone with eyes glazed over, behaving like an automation. My goodness, I'd love to work at a library! I don't know what the problem is.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

SG, I think it's the noise. The library is one place I expect some peace and quiet. Other places too but 'Quiet Please' is the hallmark of a library that certainly everyone should be aware of. It's just inappropriate to have chatting and noise. It wouldn't be just you. It would be the next 10 people over the next 10 minutes as well. Libraries are places of study. People are there to concentrate on their reading and work. I don't visit often but last few times I was shocked at the staff's noise and chatter, all made worse by the vast open space, glass walls, and vaulted ceiling. It's bad enough when the patrons are inconsiderate and disruptive but staff should know better. They should also try to keep others quiet. The person at the busy information desk was just plain loud. Constantly booming away through the whole space. Then you try to escape to a private cube in a remote area and you've got the kids hiding back there talking and giggling nonstop. Noise, noise, noise. Bright colors, bright lights, constant talking and activity. Everything must be vibrant, bustling and loud. The world is addicted to it. I just want some peace and quiet! I don't know how some people can concentrate on what they're doing and get their work done when they're busy talking all the time. One of these days I just might scream to really shake things up, lol.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Springmeadow, I like the way you think! It would be lovely if this were "that" kind of library, but it's much as you describe your own library, like Grand Central Station! "Bright colors, bright lights, constant talking and activity" about sums it up! However, maybe the supervisors don't want the staff to be contributing to the mayhem; that's possible. Still, I think that one can convey a friendly demeanor, even at a whisper.

These are city employees, and they are paid relatively well and get excellent benefits. You'd think they'd want to smile, but they all seem so glum. I wonder if they work under a difficult, nasty tyrant! You never know!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terriks, the bagging is a HUGE deal to me. It takes me 15 min. to drive to the store. By the time I come home after what seems like walking a 100 miles in the store, and I get home to take my bread out and it's SMASHED just angers me to no end.

Heck, a person doesn't even have to be trained to bag, it's all common sense! lol

So I politely re-bag things hoping the checker learns something. :)

• nellie820
    13 years ago

Most independent retailers - large or mom-and-pop - take immense pride in their customer service; in fact it is what sets them apart from the big chains. However you likely will have to pay more for their products because they simply do not have the buying power of WalMart, Lowes and Best Buy. This is not to say that our neighbors and friends who work for the big guys are not friendly or customer-oriented, but their jobs are to move the product quickly.

Most consumers go to WalMart for low prices and convenient location, and by default have forfeited selection and individual service.

If you are fortunate enough to still have independent grocers, hardware stores or even franchise-owned gas stations in your town by all means let them know if you are not happy with their service. I guarantee the sycophants in the ties and business suits want you to be happy and continue to shop in their stores.