SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethanysmom

Thoughts on rough draft of plan

Bethanysmom
10 years ago

Hi.I have been working on a floor plan for the house we plan to build soon. Although it is far from complete, I would love any advice you all would be willing to give.
Here are some things, just to give you more information/explanation as to why some things are as they are:
1. Sticking to our budget is one of the most important things for us as we hope to end up without a mortgage! We want a comfortable, family home, something kid-friendly and so we can have room to have friends over. We won't have expensive finishes - laminate countertops, wood laminate flooring in all rooms except bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, and master closet and dressing room - those rooms will likely be sheet vinyl.
2. This will be a pier and beam house.
3. The laundry room - cabinets may seem odd to some, but I was able to purchase these for about 1/2 of what new ones would cost, so I'm just going with those cabinets, but might reconfigure setup.
4. Dressing room off master bedroom - I haven't figured out a way to show this in my software, but those cabinets are basic stock cabinets that I'll be finishing out, then putting a top on, which I'll likely tile (may sound odd, but I did this in our existing house and loved the finished product.) This will be used for my makeup/hair vanity area.
4. Kitchen - island will have larger countertop in order to accommodate bar stools (haven't figured out how to add that in my software yet either.)
5. I have already purchased all the light fixtures, ceiling fans, wood laminate flooring, toilets, most of the interior doors and many other things as I've found them for around half price or better.
6. We are a family of 3, but I work from home, so an office is necessary. We also love to craft, my daughter sings and plays two instruments, so the other bedroom is a combination music/craft/guest room.
7. I designed the house as a simple rectangle to keep costs down.
8. We are planning to serve as our own contractors and have started the process of talking with subs.
9. We live in the country, so no permits are necessary (I've already asked the county office.)

Would love any feedback you all can offer.

Comments (12)