SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Flooring/Decorating/design help

mommyto4boys
11 years ago

I might try to post this on the decorating side too, but I know many of you are so good at this with your new builds looking so great! We are finished with dry-wall and doing the rest of the house ourselves. I absolutely love the land and the floor plan.

It has come time for us to order our hardwood floors and we have finally decided to go with unfinished heartwood pine and I'm thrilled. I would put it everywhere except mud,laundry & bathrooms. DH loves carpet for the bedrooms and family room. As we all know, we must have compromises. So, the bedrooms will be carpet. I have been working on the family room too, but it is really important for him to have carpet.

Our family room is around 18' X 21' with a centered fire place on the one 18' wall, adjacent to that is a wall shared by the kitchen. This wall has a 5' arched opening, leading into the kitchen. The longer walls then...one is a wall of windows and the other, has a 10' arched opening that leads into a large open stairs and foyer. The foyer and kitchen will have the wood floors.

I'm wondering if the entire family room, 18 X 21 should be wall to wall carpet OR would it be better to have wood go around about 3' and have a carpet in-lay? So, this would be more the look of an area rug...measuring about 15 X 19. I know it generally makes a room feel more spacious to not interup the floor. I'm actually fine with having the carpet wall to wall if that looks better. I'm concerned more with having it look pleasing, especially with the 10 foot open area leading into the foyer. Also, if we do the inlay, we would pretty much be stuck with that size for quite some time. Not like an area rug size that we could try before we buy. I was thinking perhaps the inlay would help "save" the carpet in the traffic areas too.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations