SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguru1950

Hearty Soup Recipes

gardenguru1950
16 years ago

It's cold, it's rainy and it's windy here.

Someone in another post said this was soup season.

What's your favorite REALLY HEARTY WINTER SOUP recipe?

I'm going to the supermarket (farmers markets not open today).

Joe

Comments (22)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Today??? Corn chowder...made with some ham, chicken broth, potatoes, frozen kernal corn and some cream style...celery, onions....and milk...or cream if I am feeling daring.
    Tomorrow may be different!
    Linda C

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

For a cold winter night, I really like this one:

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER STEW 4 servings

4 slices bacon
    1 cup thinly sliced leeks
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    3 cups half-and-half
    2 cups milk
    1 1/2 pints shucked oysters and liquor
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 cups thinly sliced raw spinach leaves
    Salt and black pepper
    1 Tbs. butter (optional)
    Oyster crackers to serve with stew

In a large heavy saucepan or soup kettle, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel, crumble and reserve. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of drippings from the skillet.

Add the leek and celery and saute over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the cayenne pepper.

Add the half-and-half and the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters (cut large ones in half) and the Worcestershire sauce. Return to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the spinach is just wilted and the oysters are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Swirl in the optional butter, if used, and serve immediately in large, shallow bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with the reserved bacon.

• Related Discussions

Ribollita tuscan twice boiled soup

Q

Comments (3)
    From USDA food safety : Caution: Do not attempt to can pureed vegetables, red meats, or poultry because proper processing times for pureed foods have not been determined for home use. Instead, can and store these foods using standard processing procedures. Puree or blend them at serving time. Heat the blended foods to boiling, simmer for 10 minutes, cool, and serve. Store unused portions in the refrigerator and use within two days for best quality. It slows down the heat penetration of foods when they are pureed. Water around chunks of food heats more quickly. That is one reason that pureed pumpkin and pumpkin butter is not safe to can. With soups, to safely can, you fill the jars half full of the solids, then the other half of the jar is the broth. If you are canning kale and other greens, you need to be careful to have the jars packed loosely with them, otherwise they pack too tightly and the heat cannot penetrate them properly.
    ...See More

Another leftover question... Pork Roast

Q

Comments (6)
    Your pork will freeze well in the gravy, or separately, but I would not freeze the rice with it because it can get mushy. The rice will freeze fine by itself, although you may need to add a very small amount of water to it when you reheat it. We just had thick slices of a rack of pork that I roasted a few weeks ago and froze the leftover meat and gravy. It made a lovely dinner tonight along with some sautéed chard and applesauce. I'd like Linda's BBQ or fried rice conversions too. Lee
    ...See More

RECIPE: split pea tortellini soup mix recipe

Q

Comments (1)
    Well, when I googled it up, I came up with this recipe about 4 times on different web sites - maybe this will help you out. Split Pea Tortellini Soup Mix 3 ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini (2/3 cup) 1/4 cup dried tomatoes -- snipped 1/3 cup dried split green peas 1/2 cup dried chopped carrots 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules 1 tablespoon dried minced onion 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil -- crushed 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme -- crushed 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper Layer ingredients in a large jar. GIFT TAG INSTRUCTIONS: To make Split Pea Tortellini Soup: Empty jar ingredients into a 3-quart saucepan. Add 5 cups water. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 50 minutes or until peas are tender. (Option: Add 1 cup chopped cooked ham or sausage.) Serves 4. Here is a link that might be useful: Soup Mix
    ...See More

recipe: recipes: 160+ soup recipes offered

Q

Comments (4)
    roselin: Great idea. Our local county FoodBank will have it but I'm hoping that they'll share it with food banks throughout the country. Joe
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

teresa_nc7 originally posted this recipe and it's one of my favorites.

Huron Country Pork Stew

2 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
    All-purpose flour, for dredging
    4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
    12 small white onions, peeled
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1/2 cup diced celery
    4 Granny Smith apples (peeled and cored), diced
    1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 cup apple cider
    1 cup chicken stock
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Trim the pork of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the pork cubes in the flour. Spread the pork cubes out on a board to allow flour to dry while you render the bacon.

Place bacon in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan over medium heat and saute until it begins to render its fat. Brown all the pork cubes on all sides, a few at a time. Remove pork from the pan and reserve. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat.

Place the onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the pan and saute until the onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer, loosely covered, for 1 hour or until the pork is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Serve with hot cornbread or biscuits.

Note: If you prefer a thicker sauce, whisk 1/2 cup of the sauce together with 1 or 2 tablespoons flour.
    Stir this mixture back into the Dutch oven and cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and the flour is cooked.

Serves 6
    Source: John Hadamuscin's Enchanted Evenings

Here's another favorite...very hearty! SPICY CHEESEBURGER SOUP 2 C cubed potatoes (peeling optional) 1½ C water 2 carrots, grated ½ C chopped onion ½ C chopped green pepper 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp salt 1 Tabsp beef bouillion granuals Combine the above in a large pan and cook until potatoes are tender. 1 lb lean ground beef Brown and drain ground beef and stir into cooked potatoes 2½ C milk 3 Tabsp flour Combine flour and milk and stir into soup. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. ½ lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed ½ tsp cayenne pepper Stir into soup, just until cheese is melted. bacon crumbles (optional) Top each serving with bacon if desired. Makes 4\-6 servings

Cheesy Sausage Corn Chowder

1 pound mild pork sausage
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 ribs celery, chopped
    3 Tablespoons flour
    3 cups chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    dash thyme
    2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley or 1 scant teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped potatoes
    1 carrot, fine dice
    1 can corn with peppers, drained, or 1 1/2 to 2 cups Southwestern corn blend
    1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook sausage in a large saucepan with onion, garlic, and celery, breaking sausage into small pieces. Drain excess fat; stir in flour until well incorporated. Add chicken broth and seasonings. Add vegetables and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cream and cheese and heat until cheese is melted and soup is hot. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed.

Serves 6.

Chowders of all kinds also come to mind. Linda (doucanoe) has a Wild Rice soup that is really good and hearty... We also enjoy the pea/bean soups... I just recieved a new cookbook for Christmas...The Ultimate Soup Bible pub by Barnes and Noble. Over 400 recipes... just ask if you or anyone has any special requests. I've only glanced at it so far. Nancy
  • annie1992
    16 years ago

I have lots of beef and I love barley, so I like this one. From Cooking Light, but I sub beef broth for the beer, I don't like beer. I also usually leave out the beets, because I usually don't have any, LOL. I love the horseradish garnish, but anyone who doesn't like it could skip that too.

Beef Beer and Barley Stew
    Source: © Cooking Light Magazine
    6 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound beef stew meat
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 cups onion, coarsely chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2 thyme sprigs
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 cups (1 1/2-inch-thick) carrot slices
    2 cups turnips, chopped and peeled (about 1 pound)
    3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
    5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
    Two (8 ounce) packages mushrooms, quartered
    3 cups water
    3 cups low-salt beef broth
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    One (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (such as stout)
    3 small beets
    3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
    1 teaspoon thyme leaves
    2 tablespoons prepared horseradish

Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add beef to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Uncover; stir in tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high. Add carrot, turnips, barley, 4 garlic cloves, and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Add beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, water, broth, Worcestershire, and beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs.

While stew is simmering, trim beets, leaving root and 1 inch stem on each; scrub with a brush. Place in a medium saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain; cool. Leave root and 1 inch stem on each beet; rub off skins. Cut each beet into 6 wedges.

Combine parsley, thyme leaves, and 1 garlic clove. Ladle about 2 cups stew into each of 6 bowls. Top each serving with 3 beet wedges, about 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley mixture, and 1 teaspoon horseradish.

TIP:
    You can use barley groats rather than pearl barley in this stew to give the dish a little more texture. Substitute rutabagas, parsnips, or other root vegetables of your choice for the carrots and turnips.

Nancy, that stew is really good, that's the one I had at your house, isn't it?

Annie

• changeling
    16 years ago

Spicy Manhattan clam chowder/stew. Taught to me by my mom.

Old fashioned beef vegetable beef soup taught to me by my mom.

I literally have been eating these two soups for so long that I don't even have a recipe, I just know in my head what ingredients, and how much to use when I'm making them, even though you have to taste test and modify slightly always.
    I have no doubt that I have made them at least a couple thousand times each and never get tired of them, Actually, this post has made me want the "Vegetable" so much I think I'll make it this weekend, LOL.

Since my total experience has been around these two soups for so long there is something I can be very definite about to you ladies. There is absolutely no mistaking this fact as I have experienced it a heck of a lot of times.

Anytime a tomato based soup is to be made, the brand, type and water content of the tomatoes have a large bearing on the final taste. That is one, if not the main reason you see a difference in the tomato based soups you make. Sometimes a very slight difference to a markedly big difference. If you can find a brand you like and stick with it, there will sometimes be differences but nothing that can't be adjusted easily with a little tasting while cooking.

Another thing you might be interested in:

For those of you that have a Sams or Costco that you shop at you will see those big commercial cans of vegetables 102 oz I think for about $2.50 per can, give or take dime or so.
    Normally 28 oz cans in my area are about $1.50 per can (right now) this equates to 4 cans @ 1.50 = $6.00 for 112 oz
    However if you buy the 102 oz can mentioned above it will save you about $3.50 for practically the same amount!!!!!!!!

You can do this with string beans, corn peas, etc,!

Think about it!!!

Changeling

• danain
    16 years ago

Inspired by a soup I had at the Macaroni Grill one day for lunch with a friend, I came home and put this together...my new favorite chicken soup:

Tuscan Chicken Soup
    (The Gnocchi is what makes this great.)

3 tablespoons butter
    1 onion; chopped
    1 stalk celery; chopped
    1/3 cup flour
    1 cup cream or whole milk
    4 cups chicken broth
    8 oz. potato gnocchi (fresh vacuum packed) *I like to cut gnocchi in half long-wise.
    2 ounces fresh baby spinach
    1 1/2 cups chopped, cooked white meat chicken
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    1 Roma tomato; seeded and diced

Melt butter in a large saucepan and add onion and celery; cover pot and "sweat" until tender over low heat. Uncover and stir in flour; continue to cook for one minute. Gradually stir in broth and cream; bring mixture to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Stir in Gnocchi, spinach and chicken; continue to boil 3 to 4 minutes until Gnocchi floats to the top and soup is thickened. Taste soup and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot topped with diced tomato.

Marilyn

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I have several that are T&T on my web page. I love them all..can't pick a favorite!
    Okay I can,,,, the Hamburger Stew..I grew up on this and will make a whole pot for me to eat off of for 3 days!!!! Breakfast, lunch and snack!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Joe, here are some of my favorites.

Baked Potato Soup
    4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
    6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 400°.
    Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash. Discard skins.
    Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
    Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Sprinkle each serving with cheese, onions, and bacon.

Minnesota Wild Rice Soup 2T butter 1/4c chopped onion 1/2c flour 4c chicken broth 1\-1/2c cooked wild rice 1/2 tsp salt 1c diced, cooked chicken or ham 1/2c grated carrot 1c half and half 1T dry white wine 1/2c slivered almonds Melt butter in saucepan, saute onion til tender. Whisk in flour then gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add rice, salt, chicken, and carrots. Blend in cream and wine, heat to serving temperature. Garnish with slivered almonds. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ New England Clam Chowder 1/4c diced salt pork 1c diced onion 5 6\-1/2 oz cans minced clams 3 medium potatoes pared and cubed 3c light cream 1/4c butter 1/2tsp salt 1/8tsp pepper In a 3 quart saucepan, cook salt pork over medium heat to render fat. Remove cracklings and reserve. Pour off all but 2T fat, add onion and cook until golden. Drain clams and reserve liquid. Add clam juice and potatoes to onions, bring to boil. Cook until potatoes are tender (10 minutes). Add clams, cream, butter, cracklings, and seasonings. Heat but DO NOT BOIL. (Add 1/4c flour mixed with water to thicken, if desired.) Serves 8 (From Mary Beth Russell)

Ribollita
    Courtesy Giada DeLaurentis

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling on bread
    1 onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    4 ounces pancetta, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, 1 minced and 1 whole
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 pound frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 (15-ounce) can cannelloni beans, drained
    1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    1 (3-inch) piece Parmesan rind
    4 to 6 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise or 1 loaf, sliced
    Grated Parmesan, for serving

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, pancetta, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onion is golden brown and the pancetta is crisp, about 7 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir until dissolved. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the brown bits. Add the spinach, beans, herbs, stock, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Drizzle the ciabatta halves with olive oil. Toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and rub the top of the toasts with the whole garlic clove. Place the toasts in the serving bowls and ladle the soup over the toasts. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.

10/20/07 my notes: I would probably use just a tad less spinach, and maybe chop it finer. I also chose not to use ciabatta rolls and made garlic croutons from a baguette instead.

Linda

• Lars
    16 years ago

My favorite is Chicken Posole. I've had similar recipes many times in Mexico during the winter (It wasn't cold, but it was still winter), and I like to make it at home as well.

I frequently make gumbo in the winter, and it reminds me of the Gulf Coast.

Lars

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

My favorites are Senate Bean Soup, you can find this recipe is almost any cookbook, and Yellow Split Pea Soup. Here is my favorite recipe,

Yellow Split Pea Soup

1 lb dried yellow split peas
    1 lb ham, julienned
    8 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    2 TSPS butter
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1. In a 6 quart dutch oven, combine the peas, ham, water, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter, add the celery and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp tender. stir in the salt, cumin, marjoram, and pepper. Cook and stir for a minute or two. Add the Vegetable mixture to the split pea mixture. Cover the pot and simmer for 40 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Makes 8 servings. 371 calories, 33 g protein, 37 g carbs, 11 g fat, 633 mg sodium.

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Here is my favorite hearty soup. The Silver Palate Black Bean soup is good and hearty as well.

Zucchini Soup
    From an acquaintance 20 some years ago.

1 lb. Italian sausage cut into 1 inch pieces (spicy or sweet whatever)
    ½ ground chuck
    2 c. celery sliced ½ inch thick
    2 lb zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick
    1 ½ coarsely chopped onion
    2 (28 oz) cans Italian or plum tomatoes
    2 t salt
    1 t Italian seasoning
    1 t oregano
    ½ t basil
    ½ t garlic powder
    2 green peppers cut into ½ inch pieces

Brown sausage and ground chuck and drain off fat. Add celery and allow tocook 10 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except green peppers. Simmer covered, 30 minutes. Add green peppers. Cover and cook 10 minutes.

Serve with parmesan or shredded mozzarella. I always have plenty of garlic bread with it. Good with chianti or a cab.
    freezes well.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Fried Tomato Soup

4-5 Large Tomatoes (skinned and sliced)
    4 TBL Flour
    2 TBL Sugar (I don't use any sugar)
    1 1/2 Tsp Salt
    1/8 tsp Pepper
    3 TBL Butter
    milk

Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat tomato slices in this mixture. Brown tomatoes in butter. Simmer until soft. Process browned tomatoes in blender or food processor until smooth. Add equal amount of milk and heat thoroughly.

Concentrate can be frozen.

I'm going to add Sharon's Cauliflower Soup and Deanna's Mushroom Soup. Although there is no detailed recipes I had no problems making fabulous soups.

Cauliflower Soup (Sharon/chase)

"I was making my regular cauliflower soup which is pretty much a "just do it " recipe in the first place. Saute shallots in butter, add cauliflower, add chicken broth, salt and pepper, this time a dash of hot sauce (don't tell Clive). Simmer away, whir with the motor boat, add cream, season and simmer some more....then add some cheese. Well, here is where magic happened!

Last weekend I had made two ramekins of my famous cheese spread which consists of whatever bits and bobs of cheeses are in the fridge. Great way to use them up. Never the same twice.

This time it was, white 5 year old cheddar, some Danish bleu , Havarti, double glouster (I think), some brie (I think), medium orange cheddar, cream cheese, some gruyere. To this I added some sour cream, chopped green onions, garlic (I think) . mayo for sure....a shot of tabasco.

I had a half ramekin of this cheese spread left over from the party on Saturday so I dumped it into the soup....oh my word the taste is outstanding! "

And Deanna's Cream of Mushroom Soup!

Mushroom Soup (Deanna)

"I really didn't use a recipe for the soup.
    I melted 1/2c. butter in a sauce pan, added 3 small shallots and one garlic glove finely minced.
    Then course chopped about a pound or so of mushrooms and added those. Covered and let simmer for about 10 minutes or so. I added about 1/4 c. of heavy cream and about 1/2 c. chicken broth, then pureed with my stick blender. Then dissolved 1/3 c. flour in about 1 1/2c. mild and added to soup to thicken. Then I added in just a few more pieces of chopped mushrooms for "chewiness", not very many, probably not even 1/4 c. Sliced crossways a cap of a mushroom for garnish and a few fresh chives."

Michelle

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

Had pea soup for dinner tonight made with the bone from my christmas ham. Made the soup a couple days ago and have one bowl left from about 7 quarts.

About 1/2 a soup pot full of water and boil the ham bone for an hour or so. Any scraps of ham or geletin can be thrown in the pot. Add a couple pounds of dry peas to the pot after rinsing and checking for stones. Bring to a full boil and then turn off the heat and let it sit for a few hours covered. I go over night or while I'm at work. Soup can spoil quickly but if brought to a boil it won't turn just overnight. Bring to a boil before serving and it should be wonderful. Stuff can be added if you like. Carrots, onions, a potato or two, a bay leaf, black pepper, and my favorite a tiny bit of habenera pepper! I leave the ham bone in the pot and let even the cartilage boil off into the soup. Having the bone on the bottom of the pot helps with stirring the pot. Pea and bean soup sticks to the bottom of the pot and burns easy if you don't stir things regular and use low heat.

For bean soup change the peas to beans. Probably skip the bay leaf.

I really think the bone is critical. Something about the bone marrow flavor that hits home as heart warming goodness. Any geletin from the meat adds good body to the soup. Makes it soupy rather then watery. Soup also seems to taste better with some bread and butter on the side.

: )
    lyra

• sooz
    16 years ago

Here is one of my faves. Apologies for not remembering where I got the recipe!

Sausage and Pumpkin Winter Soup

2 C pumpkin (this is about one 15 oz canNOT pie filling!)
    4 C chicken broth
    1/2 C minced onion
    1 C finely chopped mushrooms
    1 C whole milk or cream (or 1/2 c half & half mixed w/1/2 C water)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 T each of finely chopped fresh parsley, oregano and basil
    8 links of hot Italian sausage (or sweet if you prefer)
    1/2 C shredded parmesan for topping
    salt/pepper if you think it needs it

OPTION: skip the milk & substitute a can of diced tomatoes for one of the cans of broth, or used one can of broth and one can of water to moderate the saltiness of the soup.

Brown sausage, drain the grease (if any) and then add the onion, garlic and herbs.
    Stir in the pumpkin and mix..
    Stir in the broth and mix well.
    Simmer 20-30 minutes.
    Stir in the milk and simmer on low another 10-15 min.
    Serve topped with shreds of parmesan.

Smiles,
    Sooz

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Here's my recipe which is pretty well a standard soup recipe and nothing original other than that I like to roast the bones, the garlic and onion when making the stock.

Here

packaged in twos in the supermarket, after they've removed most of the meat for their trays of wings, breasts etc. But there's still enough meat on the bones for a great and flavourful soup.

Soup Ingredients:

Homemade chicken stock - about 2 quarts
    2 carrots - diced
    2 stalks celery - diced
    1 leek - diced
    1 cup diced rutabaga or orange squash
    1/2 cup fine soup noodles
    salt & pepper
    oil or chicken fat

Ratio of solids to stock should be about 2 cups stock to 1 lb chopped vegetables. Add any more chopped veg if you don't have enough.

Stock ingredients:

1 meaty chicken carcass or piece of whole chicken
    2 heads of garlic
    1 onion - cut in half
    celery stick - sliced
    1 carrot sliced
    fresh thyme - large sprig
    1 bayleaf
    black pepper & salt

MAKING STOCK:

1. Early in day or day before:
    Preheat oven to 350F. Cut top off heads of garlic. Place on roasting pan together with chicken carcass and sliced onion and drizzle a bit of oil over top of all.
    (I had two carcasss to roast as they are sold this way in pairs at our supermarket. I also added a couple of beef bones.)
    Roast in oven about 40 minutes or until all is toasted.

and juices from pan.

2. Put bones into a very large pot. Squeeze one head of the buttery garlic cloves into the stock pot, saving the other head of garlic for adding to the soup. Add the rest of the stock ingredients and fill pot with water to cover. Grind in fresh pepper. Bring to boil, turn down heat, put on lid and simmer for a couple of hours.
    Skim off any grey residue that rises to the top.

3. Afterwards, strain the solid debris from the stock ---(REMEMBER you're saving the stock so don't pour it down the sink - as has been done LOL !).
    I look through the solids and pick out the meaty chicken pieces to save for the soup. Throw away all the rest of the solid material.
    Here I let it cool and refrigerate until next day when it's easy to remove solid fat from top. Otherwise continue to make soup.

MAKING THE SOUP:

1. Sauté the chopped ingredients in a frypan in a TBS of chicken fat or oil until lightly golden. Squeeze out the buttery cloves from the 2nd head of garlic and add to pan.

2. Put soup ingredients including small bits of chicken into large saucepan and add an appropriate amount of stock - about double the amount of liquid to vegetables.
    Put on lid and simmer with lid on for about an hour. Add soup noodles during last 5 minutes.

3. Check seasoning, add salt.

Also good for the end of the Christmas turkey.

SharonCb

• gardenguru1950
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, last night I made all 21 recipes posted here. I simply couldn't decided on one.

But seriously, I made Nancy's Spicy Cheeseburger soup; primarily because I pretty much had everything for it already. With these changes:

I halved the recipe.
    I cooked the potatoes in beef stock; no granules.
    I used a serrano pepper; I don't care for jalapenos.
    I don't do Velveeta so I shredded some oaxaca and some jack.
    I threw in some chopped fresh tomato at the time I added the cheese.

Bottom line: a recommendable soup.

Thanks Nancy and all you others -- I've saved all the recipes and ideas.

Joe

• loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

I just made an awesome bean soup today because of this thread. I boiled a ham bone with a chopped onion, a stalk of celery and 5 cloves of garlic along with 2 bay leaves. Added some seasoning salt and pepper. After about an hour or 2 I added 2 chopped carrots and 2 chopped potatoes. Continued on low boil for another hour...then removed the bay leaves and ham bone. Added a big jar of 'mixed beans'. I usually use all great nothern beans since that is how my mom made the soup, but this was a nice change. Added a smidgeon of beer and pasta sauce and smashed the beans down a few times with a tomato masher and turned off the heat.

Good stuff.

I love to add a bit of vinegar to the bowl when serving hot. My family is divided...some like a bit of ketchup....and the rest of us like the vinegar.

Tasty homecooked comfort food.

Duane

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Cold rainy weather is the best time for soup. When I'm short of time and want soup fast I make Albondiga Soup, or meatball soup. I don't really measure as you can't go wrong and most of the ingredients are usually in the cupboard, fridge. These are just directions:

About 1 to 1 1/2 lb ground beef, not too lean
    1/4 to 1/3 cup rice
    1 egg
    salt & pepper to taste
    Mix together in a bowl, work everything in well with your hands if you have to.

Bring about 2-3 quarts of water or beef stock to boil in your soup pot. Form meatballs with your hand or use a small scoup to drop meatballs into the water. I make them about walnut size.

Prepare veggies:
    2-3 stalks celery, sliced or chopped
    1 small potato, chopped
    2 fresh zucchini, sliced
    1-2 fresh plum or small tomatoes (optional)
    1-2 carrots, sliced

Add veggies to pot with 1-2 tablespoons of beef base if you did not use beef stock. cover and simmer until veggies are soft. I sometimes add left over veggies. Most of the veggies except the celery and zucchini are optional, I like lots of veggies in it.

Take the hot bread out of the oven and call everyone, who's not already waiting, that it's time to eat. I divide any leftovers into pint size containers for easy lunch or dinner warmups for myself.

Those soups above all look like I could go for those also. I make the soup with Italian sausage also as the ingredients are easy to rustle up without a trip to the grocer on cold, wet or windy days.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I have made Lentil Soup for years. I just found this recipe and I am going to try it next time.
    Clare

Moroccan Lentil Soup
    INGREDIENTS
    2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    6 cups water
    1 cup red lentils
    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon olive oil

DIRECTIONS
    In large pot saute; the onions, garlic, and ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
    Add the water, lentils, chick peas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper and cumin. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer, until the lentils are soft.
    Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir and enjoy!

NOTE: For an authentic morrocan taste, substitute "Rus Al Hanoot" for the Garam Marsala. GM is a blend of indian spices, while Rus Al Hanoot is a blend of morrocan spices.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

The weather has been cold and grey here and I'm craving this soup.

Pancetta & Pea Soup withg Ditalini (off the back of the Barilla ditalini box) Serves 6-8

1 TBLSP extra virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    4 slices pancetta, chopped
    2 quarts chicken broth
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 3/4 cups (8 oz.) ditalini
    1 TBLPS chopped parsley
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large pot over med. heat. Add onion, celery and pancetta, saute 5 min, stirring occasionally.
    Add broth and peas, bring to a boil
    Add ditalini, cook 10 min. or until ditalini is tender. Stir in parsley, S&P.

Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesean when serving.

My notes: I also add a cup of carrots to the saute, (about one large one, diced). I'm a vegetarian so I use veggie broth and about 2 TBLSP fake bacon bits instead of the chicken broth and pancetta. I also add 1/2 tsp. McCormick italian seasoning to the broth. I also use less onions as I'm not crazy about them.

I like this soup because everything is the perfect size for slurping, lol.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Oh yes lentil soup! That's one of our favourites. Here is one recipe I use:

350 grams (1 1/2 cups) of small dark lentils - put them to soak the night before in water to cover
    100 grams (3.5 oz) red stewing chorizo sausage - lightly pricked over with tines of a fork
    50 grams (1.7 oz) salted tocino pork fat - cut into large diced pieces
    1 TBSP flour
    2 carrots diced fine
    2 medium leeks, using only white stems sliced finely in rounds
    1 lg clove garlic - pass through garlic press
    2 cups beef broth (I used 2 Knorr cubes)
    1 bay leaf
    fresh rosemary - small sprig
    olive oil - about 1/4 cup
    2 cups extra water to add after 1st hour

1. Soak lentils the NIGHT BEFORE in water to cover - (unless you have a fast cooking variety.)

2. Next day drain and rinse lentils, put aside.

3. Heat olive oil in heavy cooking pot. When sizzling, add carrots, garlic and leeks. Lightly brown while stirring.

4. Add 1 TBSP flour and keep stirring for about a minute.

5. Add lentils, beef broth, whole chorizo, tocino, laurel and rosemary

6. Put on lid and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Check after 1st hour and add up to 2 more cups water as needed.

7. Adjust seasoning and serve.

The small piece of tocino can be seen just to the right of the sprig of rosemary.

And if there's any left over.......make it into:

Lentil Purée.

4 cups of lentil soup
    1 1/2 cups of chicken broth (using Knorr cube and water)
    2 lg cloves of garlic crushed and browned in 1/4 cup oil in small frypan
    2 slices brown bread broken in small pieces and fried in the garlicky oil until brown

I started out using my hand cranked food mill and when I realized it wasn't going to do the job I put it all into my food processor, processing the above until smooth and then heated it gently.

Diced some more pieces of brown bread and toasted them in the frying pan with oil and garlic salt for the croutons.

SharonCb

• msazadi
    16 years ago

I'm not at home...just killing time in a computer class while the teacher talks.

However, one I think should go in here is Marilyn's Lasagna Soup. The only note I would add about that is that the pasta swells if you have to store leftovers. Maureen