SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Do you drink hot teas? Your beverage of choice?

User
11 years ago

I've probably mentioned before how I have family members that are really into teas. I've tried quite a few times to become a tea drinker but I never could get a taste for it.

I drink water most time with a rare soda (Coke). Soda has been a problem for me in the past. I'd pick a can of Coke over ANY junky food on the planet.

Anyhow, I've recently started to drink hot organic green tea because it's 'good for you'. The first time I tried it I didn't even finish the cup. I thought it was so nasty I forgot about it for hours. I know I could put honey in it (and I did once!) but I don't want the extra sugar. After a week or so it's finally starting to taste ok. Maybe one of these days I'll even like it. :)

Do you drink teas?

In general, what's your beverage of choice?

Comments (51)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Generally, I drink water. Occasionally, I'll have a coffee drink or a Diet Coke in a restaurant. I love the idea of tea, but I don't like the taste.

• enmafromva
    11 years ago

Hi there - I love teas and organic green tea is what I drink at work (Unsweetened) Black tea first thing in the morning and something caffeine free herbal on winter evenings. Other than that - water. Every once in a while I like a soda "treat". Love the mini cans for that.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: What do you drink and not drink?

Q

Comments (77)
    It was fun reading all of this, especially since it goes back to '06. That first post of Lars with the cherry cream soda...yummmy. I only consume coffee if it's ice cream, Kahlua or some other dessert. I like tea, black, green, but not any spiced teas. Really dislike mint too. Mostly I drink flavored unsweetened seltzer, iced tea or lemonade. Occasionally I'll have a fruit soda, but I find them too sweet these days so I mix them with my seltzer. Alcohol? Not really. Don't like wine as a rule. I can deal with a little champagne or Asti. Will drink vodka, that Kahlua making it a Black Russian. Smiles. I can go several years or more without having any alcohol. Last year I turned my current [at the time] vodka into vanilla. This fall an old friend from high school came to visit and brought a bottle of vodka. I had 2 light Cape Cods and when he left I turned the Svedka into vanilla. LOL. In winter in the evening we either have hot tea or hot cocoa often. I do love hot chocolate made with cocoa or even a nice chocolate bar.
    ...See More

Do you drink coffee or tea?

Q

Comments (34)
    Snookums, interesting find. But the abstract just says the researchers found small amounts of formaldehyde in commercially brewed and instant coffees in aqueous forms. It doesn't explicitly say anything about decaf coffee, and it certainly doesn't prove that formaldehyde is used to decaffeinate coffee (or rather, we can't discern that from the abstract.) As this report is 27 years old, I wonder why there has been no follow up or more extensive research if there is a formaldehyde issue. Too bad we can't read what's in the report to know if the coffees sampled were a broad spectrum of brands or even if it's an American study (brands readily available to us in our markets). I'd like to know if the study team postulated how the formaldehyde got into the coffee. Perhaps it occurs naturally? I found this in article via library online databases: "Natural carcinogenic and DNA damaging chemicals present in a cup of certified organic coffee (4) Aectaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo (a) pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz (a) anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, toluene." ( Gold LS, Slone TH, Stern BR, Manley NB, Ames BN. Rodent Carcinogens: Setting Priorities. Science 258, 261-265, 1992., cited in "Organic Food Sales Increasing 20% Annually Last 20 Years," Hale, Jamie. McClatchy - Tribune Business News [Washington] 05 Nov 2009.) In researching, I thought this was interesting: "Another argument raised against formaldehyde as a human leukemogen [cause of leukemia] has been the presence of potentially significant amounts of formaldehyde or formaldehyde precursors in food. However, food is a complex mixture of chemicals. For example, coffee contains caffeine that would be metabolized to formaldehyde, but among the close to a thousand other chemicals components identified in coffee, some are antioxidants that might well have anticarcinogenic activities. It is difficult to predict the toxicological effects of simple mixtures, let alone mixtures that have thousands of chemicals nor can the possibility be ruled out that formaldehyde derived from food intake plays a role in the existing background incidence of leukemia." (Hematological and toxicological evaluation of formaldehyde as a potential cause of human leukemia Goldstein, Bernard D. Human and Experimental Toxicology30.7 (Jul 2011): 725-35. )
    ...See More

To-go coffee and tea- are the cups too hot for your hands?

Q

Comments (54)
    Joann, sorry I didn't see this! I got the fabric online, it's by Elizabeth's Studio. Look on Ebay, too. "fabric fruit ladies" usually brings it up. The pattern/tutorial is posted above, about 1/3 of the way down. Local quilt shops are fun, too, they usually have a novelty fabric section. I like those best.
    ...See More

How do you make your tea?

Q

Comments (34)
    Amck, I drink PG Tips decaf. I just opened a box of Typhoo decaf. Both are very good. My only complaint, and that's too strong a word, is the bags don't have strings so I have to dirty a spoon just to fish it out of the mug. I don't use milk or sugar or squeeze the bag so I don't need a spoon. I've been keeping a box of frilly topped toothpicks next to the teas so I can use one of those instead of a spoon. Somehow, in my odd logic, I don't mind throwing out a little toothpick but I do mind dirtying a spoon. Last December, I really liked Candy Cane Lane by Celestial Seasonings. I had one last week and it wasn't as good as I remembered it. Thinking maybe it was just too early for that taste, I bought a box of something pumpkin spiced. The sample was a caffeinated tea and was very good but I have to severely limit by caffeine. I threw caution to the wind a bought a decaf without sampling it. It's fine, not quite as good as the sample, and I'll use up the box but I wouldn't buy it again. Also last year, I had a very nice chai, one that didn't have the medicinal taste so many have. When I returned to buy another box, they didn't carry that flavor anymore! Eighteen other flavors by that brand but not that particular chai. I'm hoping it's a winter flavor that they'll release again. I'm going to add it to my shopping list right now, I hope I recognize the box. I already have a shelf full of 'meh, okay but not exactly right' boxes.
    ...See More
  • User
    11 years ago

water and... java

javachik

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I have two big cups of strong tea every morning. My husband used to be a big tea drinker but had to give up caffeine. Over the years our friends would occasionally buy us fancy tea's but I just like my Tetley British Blend Premium Black Tea from the grocery store. Before that I bought the big bulk bags of generic Winn Dixie tea and liked that to.

• joshuasamah
    11 years ago

I love coffee and tea. Coffee during the day and switch to decaf tea by 5. I like dark tea so use more than one bag-just black tea. Recently I decided to try Twinings brand Chai tea (decaf) and love it. My new favorite!

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

Just standard black breakfast teas for me. I don't care for the taste of green tea either but want the benefits so will throw in a green tea bag w/the black, a little honey and lemon.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

My favorite tea is black tea with some sugar and milk.
    The brand of black tea doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me and I've had them all. ( and they're all, the black tea, about the same- it's not like coffee or wine, imo)

It's a hassle, but I do think fresh steeped tea tastes better than teabags. I buy the Twinnings in a tin at the grocery store and use a teaball meant for one.
    Earl Grey is good and generally liked. I like Irish Breakfast.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Water is my first choice, but it has to be spring water, not filtered. I am particularly fond of Panna, because the bottle is so pretty. : )

I have never developed a taste for coffee ... too strong. Plus I don't like what it does to your breath, and teeth.

I have always enjoyed tea, especially after a meal. Or to keep my hands warm in a mug. I only make it only the stove (what are those bubbles when you microwave) and I only use spring water to make it. Sometimes a tiny bit of raw sugar.

I like all kinds of tea. But I do think I am becoming more sensitive to caffeine so now I only drink decaf Redrose or chamomile. If I'm not worried about sleeping I have some assam I like. I have the leaves and I love the whole ceremony with strainer, etc.

My entire family loves iced tea. We just add regular teas bags to a gallon of spring water, put it in the fridges and give it 5-6 hours. I love that my kids dont use any sugar in it.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I was going to say that too.nhave you tried it iced? I like green ice tea. Even at work I add ice after I get the tea from the k cup machine. I find cold for some reason I don't feel the need to add anything. Hot, I want to add cream and sugar.

I have never been able to get in to herbal teas, but I try some periodically.

• User
    11 years ago

I drink coffee in the am, usually. I drink Earl Grey in the afternoon and camomile or hot chocolate in the evening. Or wine :-) Cannot abide green tea.

• camlan
    11 years ago

Black tea drinker here. No milk or sugar, just the tea. Red Rose most of the time, Irish Breakfast or Earl Grey on occasions. Green tea when I feel in the mood.

Different blends of tea do taste differently, so it might be worth experimenting to see if there is a brand that you like better. There's one brand of Earl Grey I will never buy again, even though it's one of my favorite flavors of tea--I have no idea what they do to it, but it isn't Earl Grey whatever it says on the box. There are a lot of green teas mixed with different fruit flavors--one of those might work better for you.

Did you know that you can eliminate most of the caffeine in black tea very easily? If you're using a tea bag, put the bag in the mug and pour some boiling water and let the tea bag steep. Wait 15-20 seconds and pour out the water. Then fill the mug up with more hot water and let the tea steep as you normally would. Most of the caffeine is released right away, so you pour it out with the first bit of water.

Other than my two mugs of tea a day, I drink water. Coffee on the weekend if I'm in the mood to drag out the French press, with cream but no sugar. Soda only when I'm eating out, which doesn't happen very often.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I drink both tea and coffee....I actually prefer coffee, but don't like the hassel to make it...I have green, white, black, english breakfast, earl gray, constant comment, etc. Some decaf, some caf. I have tea with just a splash of milk or cream. DH drinks a lot of tea...red rose.

But don't fret if you don't like tea...apparently it is a genetic trait as revealed by studies of identical twins. Some people can taste the bitter PTC in tea, and some people can't.

You might try herbal teas and see if you like them better...Celestial Seasonings makes some wonderful flavors that make a particularly nice iced tea for warm weather drinks....

And you might try stevia as a sweetener which is better..or I should say less bad.... for you than the others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Genetics and tasting PTC

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I drink a lot of herbal tea, from Celestial Seasonings, Bigelow, Yogi & Stash. I also love coffee, drink two cups each morning, & guzzle tons of water from my Zero filter pitcher. I am a heavy drinker!

Dh has one cabinet in the kitchen dedicated to really fine loose teas he brought back from China. They are green teas. He makes us the nice stuff on the weekend. I use tea bags during the week, & drink Sleepy Time every night & usually Yogi's Ginger or Stash Lemon Ginger every afternoon.

Good that you are avoiding sugary beverages, whatever you choose to drink. I'd know I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, that's for sure! Drinking sugary stuff is also dreadful for our teeth!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

We drink iced tea just about every single evening with dinner. I am not big on hot tea but drink it occasionally, like Bumble with sugar and cream. It's also something I want if I am sick. Green tea is good for your health and I ocasionally drink it iced but most often mix it with our regular black tea (iced).

I'm not a coffee lover - will just occasionally drink a cup - like when we go out for breakfast. Love iced coffee and lattes, but I agree with Stinky about eating my calories instead of drinking them - those are treats for me. Unfortunately most of those type drinks are pretty sugary. During the day I drink mostly water. I pretty much avoid caffeine (use decaf tea). I LOVE Mt. Dew but rarely let myself drink one. It's a guilty pleasure for sure, cuz they are awful for you! LOL

tina

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I just love coffee. I like it very dark. I usually get Starbucks french roast and drink it black. I also drink a lot of Diet Coke. I wish I could break that habit, but nothing quenches my thirst like a coke.

I also enjoy a cup of tea from time to time. If my stomach is bothering me (probably from all the coffee and coke ;)), I like a cup of peppermint tea. I also like other herbal teas once in awhile. Still, tea never quite does for me what I think it should do in terms of being warm and soothing.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

One cup of black coffee in the morning, brewed in a French press. Water the rest of the time. Teas, too, whenever the mood strikes, but mostly in the a.m. because of the caffeine. I love all real teas, especially green tea, white tea, and certain black teas, like Earl Grey and my very favorite: lapsang souchong. I also love genmaicha and sobicha. I think most herb teas are horrid, I have never liked sodas, and I don't drink fruit juices; sometimes, in the summer, I'll dilute some juices with a lot of mineral water.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Let's see:

Black tea (no flavors ever!) with milk and splenda -- drinking Ty-phoo and Barry's at this time .... mostly a "bag lady" as opposed to a "loose woman" (LOL! - thats a tea joke .... heeheehee!) I do like Assam, English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast type blends ....

Black coffee (no flavors ever!) with half-and-half and splenda.... from Costco

water, milk, diet coke

.... white wines ...... Cosmos ....

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I drink coffee during the day (way too much) and herbal tea at night, different kinds. Now I'm into celestial apple spice and vanilla chamomile.
    I'd like to drink green tea for the health benefits, but it makes me feel nauseated.

• daisyinga
    11 years ago

I love tea and all my relatives love tea. My friend from South Georgia jokes that we have sweet tea in our blood.

I don't care for the taste of green tea. I wish I did.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Generally in the morning I'll have one or two cups of coffee with a little splash of flavored creamer and Truvia. Then I switch to tea and drink it black: Earl Grey, English and Irish Breakfast, and like Teacats I'm also partial to Typhoo (ok, PG Tips as well). If I'm in England, though, I drink my tea with cream and a small bit of sugar or sweetener. It's more like a little treat that way. I also like green tea. We've got a blend of green and white tea at my office that is brewed in the Keurig - love it!

I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke, but have weaned myself off and will now have 2 cans a day at most. I'm also forcing myself to drink more water these days.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I basically drink only coffee, tea, and water. I start the day with two cups of coffee. Then water, water, water. Usually around the time the kids come home from school, I will have a cup of tea, either caffeinated or decaf depending on how the day is going! I like any kind of regular black tea but especially Tazo 'Awake" tea. I also like several of the fancy teas in the tallish metal cylinder (they're in round bags) -- I'm drawing a blank on the name of the brand. I have a tray next to the stove with a few of them. One is a berry herbal tea, one is "Get Happy" tea, can't remember the others. I also love mint tea after dinner. Also love some of the red roobios (sp?) teas. I just have never been able to enjoy green tea, unfortunately. It leaves a weird aftertaste/sensation in my mouth. But I love trying out other types. If you could see my tea collection, you might think I had an addiction.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Shee, the trick to green tea is finding one that you like. I love Republic of Tea. They have a green tea with honey and ginseng.
    I have also tried many different brands, so you just have to keep trying.
    I have my tea shipped and they are forever sending me free samples with the catalogue and once even a whole canister of tea to try.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i drink coffee mostly, unfortunately with flavored creamers... i have tried a couple of times to 'get hooked' on green tea, but really don't care for it. i like black tea, but prefer coffee(with creamer!!). i love honey in my tea and i love lemon in icedtea. tea really stains teeth tho- more so than coffee.
    late in the evening or at bedtime i LOVE peppermint tea with just a bit of sugar or honey- so soothing and yummy!!!

• rdquilter
    11 years ago

I drink tea when I am dieting. My favorite is one that even non-tea drinkers seem to like. Good Earth brand , original flavor, says sweet and spicy on it. I get the decaf and it is so good, sometimes I use a little truvia.

• sis3
    11 years ago

I am English so drink a lot of hot tea though I also like coffee. Black tea only though, no flavors, and 0% milk, definitely nothing with cream in it (ugh)! Absolutely no iced tea! We bring tea and tea bags back from England, especially Yorkshire Tea, as we find it has more flavor and strength than the tea we can buy here.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

We inhale iced tea all summer, it's a staple, like fresh tomatoes, but I never really relate it to hot tea!
    Artificial sweeteners do bad things to me, but the only one that has no side effects is Sweet in Low so I use that or sugar.
    I don't like tea unsweetened- wish I didn't have a sweet tooth!

• amck2
    11 years ago

I have one cup of coffee w/ steamed skim milk with breakfast. After that it's water or tea. Fresh brewed, unsweetened & iced in summer. Hot tea 3/4 of the year here in New England.

I love most teas and take them without milk or sugar. The only ones I don't care for are mint teas (remind me of diluted toothpaste..) and Earl Grey, which tastes like crushed flowers to me. Most afternoons I sip on chamomile or green tea. I'm not snobby - enjoy many supermarket brands. But since friends and family know I'm a tea lover I receive some delicious blends of loose tea from all over the world.

It would be hard for me to have to give up tea.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Twining's Earl Grey

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Boop - I did try icing the tea down once and it helped a little. I actually prefer it that way over being warm/hot.

Camlan - I'll have to try some different ones and see if that makes a difference. I did hear about steeping the tea and removing some of the caffeine but I wasn't sure how it was done, thanks!

Annie - Interesting read. Yes, bitter is how most teas taste to me. I've tried a few of the Celestial Seasonings but so far nothing's really hit home. There has to be at least one brand and kind of tea out there that taste good to me.

Stinky - found out how hard the soda was on my teeth once after a trip to the dentist. Yikes!

Amck - I had to chuckle about the toothpaste. I'm one that doesn't care for mint anything unless it's some type of actual mint.

If I can't find a green tea I like or get used to the taste, it may be a short lived thing.

Besides the sugar, I think the thing about Coke I like is the carbonation. I prefer to drink it straight from the can. I can't get into drinking anything with soda water or sparkling water though.

OH, I almost forgot to mention... I JUICE NOW! Ha, I'm very excited about juicing and am surprised I didn't think to mention it above. It's something I've thought about on and off for a few years but always thought it seemed silly and would tell myself to just eat more veggies. We like vegetables but don't eat enough most days so I've been juicing breakfast.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

sis3, I love Yorkshire tea! I've found it in specialty food shops in the area.

I guess many teas are bitter, but I like the bitterness. (I like bitter foods, like some greens, precisely because they are bitter.) People who haven't liked green teas because they feel nauseated or can't abide the bitterness -- try steeping for a VERY short time before rejecting the teas altogether. There seems to be a sudden cut off between no bitterness and a lot of bitterness, at least that's been my experience. I had a loose green tea once with directions suggesting steeping for 10-15 seconds or so at the most.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

another double post deleted....

This post was edited by lynxe on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 11:25

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Do you squeeze the tea bag? I have read (or maybe I made it up in my head, who knows) that you should not squeeze the tea bag when you take it out of the cup or it gets bitter.

I am so impressed you are juicing. I really want to start it too. Which juicer do you have?

I have a relatively cheap ice tea maker. I know, I know, I could use a pot on the stove. I prefer this. :)

I generally use half black tea and half green tea or something like that. All green tea usually tastes pretty weak to me for some reason.

Here is a link that might be useful: team maker

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Major tea drinker here. Our Nana, who was originally from Scotland, always drank tea and so we nine kids grew up drinking tea with her. It's funny because our parents are total coffee drinkers and never drank tea. Our spouses get a big kick out of us at our yearly family reunions. Every morning we all gather on our parents front porch at the lake, bringing our cups of tea with us. Our parents and most of our spouses are coffee drinkers, but to us, hot tea is very comforting and cozy. We must be good influences, though, because between us we have 23 children and most of them are now tea drinkers, as well.
    Lynn

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'm really enjoying hot tea right now. I add Nectresse non-sugar sweetener and cinnamon. I've been following herbs and spices recently, reading that cinnamon can stabilize blood sugar and improve concentration so am trying to include it in my diet. I've always loved cinnamon and sugar, so the tea is a real treat. I do think the cinnamon helps if I eat carbs or something sweet but that could be my imagination! I'm not sure yet, lol. Love chamomile (but not plain) and I do find it to be a relaxing ingredient.

• teacats
    11 years ago

A GREAT movie for tea drinkers -- the wonder "Must Love Dogs" .... even DH laughs when the sister says "I'll put the kettle on" 'cause that was ALWAYS the case around our Scots household .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- a tea pin board!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

boop,
    I never squeeze a tea bag because I think it adds bitterness. Is it a fact? I dunno but it's definitely my habit.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Love tea. Hot, iced, four hours old... I'll drink it.

Earl Gray, Black my faves. DH brought green tea back from China and it's my latest addiction. It's not like the Green Tea you get from the grocery. Obsessed with finding a specialty food market nearby that carries imported teas. Fingers crossed Chinese green tea isn't like Chinese dog food and treats. If you don't see me around for a while, you'll know what happened.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does green tea really do a job on staining your teeth? I didn't think it would be too bad since it's light and green vs. brown in color.

Boop - I do squeeze the bag. I'll have to try it without.

The short answer is I now have the L'Equip Mini.

I originally bought a Breville BJE200XL 700 watt juicer. It's a highly rated centrifuge juicer on Amazon so I ignored the bad reviews. I ended up sending it back because the poor design of the mesh strainer. At the base, there's a piece of metal that's tight against the mesh and is impossible to clean completely. If you look close you could see pieces of carrot stuck between the two pieces. I would clean immediately by hand and no amount of scrubbing and/or soaking would remove it all. I can't believe the reviews are so high with 1300+. Over time I'd imagine you could end up 'mysteriously sick' and not be sure why. It would be a nice juicer if they would've designed the strainer better.

Anyhow, I sent it back and considered upgrading to a different Breville model but I'm done with the brand since every review related to customer services says how terrible they are. I considered buying an Omega juicer (masticating) but at $300ish the bad reviews scared me off and they take longer than a centrifugal juicer. Since I'm just starting I narrowed my list down to Jack Lalanne's Deluxe Stainless Steel Juicer, Hamilton Beach, and L'Equip 306150 Mini Pulp Ejection Juicer (all centrifuge juicers). In the end, I felt drawn to the L'Equip. I was also glad to read good things relating to their customer service.

The chute isn't as large as the Breville but I don't mind taking an extra 30 sections to slice. Comparing the same amount of food, I actually get a little more juice from the L'Equip and the leftover pulp is the same consistency. I make sure to feed the veggies slow. I plan to do this long term as I'm really enjoying it and don't find it to be a pain at all. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I just finished some sugar-free Swiss Miss hot cocoa.

In the morning I drink coffee, usually two mugs. We just usually buy Folgers, but I like it.

I also like tea, and just normally drink a standard decaf black tea with just sweetner or honey and maybe lemon. Now that it's cold, I like hot beverages more in the evenings. Can't drink too much or else I'm up too many times at night.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

shee, good luck with your juicer! I bought a Blendtec blender and I am going to start making some good healthy smoothies. I know the juicer is different, but, I was intrigued with the juicer also.

I need to eat more fruit and veggies and don't seem to have the time to get them all in.

• msrose
    11 years ago

rdquilter - Good Earth Original sounds interesting. Where do you get it?

• loribee
    11 years ago

Hi Shee!
    No juice....hate water but really am trying to drink more.
    Love lipton regular and decaf, always w/ skim milk! :)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I'm a black tea drinker, but my husband drinks green tea or coffee.

His favorite greens are either bancha hojicha (the only green I'll drink, too) is Numi Emperor's Magnolia.

The one black tea he will drink is my favorite pu-erh. It's very rich, but not bitter at all. You know those pressed bricks of tea you occasionally see? That's pu-erh. Numi makes an excellent pu-erh teabag, Emperor's pu-erh, if you don't want to mess with the loose leaf or the bricks.

Another black we both love is the Republic of Tea classic sweet black -- it has a very slight touch of licorice and some stevia, neither overpowering.

Yes, tea can stain teeth, but my dental hygienist was always amazed at how little staining I had ... until my last check-up. I had changed toothpaste, from a whitener to an enamel protector, and that apparently made a big difference. She suggested either changing back or rinsing my mouth after tea-drinking. Since I'm an all-day sipper, I think I'll just change the toothpaste.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Hi shee, I've found that Tazo's zen tea (a green tea blend) is the only tea I can drink without sugar. It's sort of sweet in way and doesn't have that bitter tea after taste. I haven't tried it, but I think it would be good cold.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

I love spicy chai tea. I don't drink coffee at all, but in the winter, I usually have a cup of hot tea every day to warm me, as well as my hands, up. We were in Ireland in the fall and the tea was so delicious every where. I loved how it came served in a teapot every where we went. Toward the end of our trip, I found this gorgeous teapot at a small pottery shop. At that point, I'd already bought quite a few wool sweaters, an expensive painting, and a few other things at a different pottery shop. I didn't have room left in my bags, and I didn't want to spend the money on shipping this one small thing. I didn't get it. After we got home, I told dh I regretted it - this artist's style was quite unique, very colorful and abstract. He actually called and ordered me one for Christmas - that was quite a surprise! While I normally drink either Tazo, Stash or Trader Joe's tea, I decided I wanted to try using loose tea leaves like I had in Ireland. Finally, just last week, I stopped at a tea and spice shop and bought a bag of Chai and a bag of green tea leaves. I made my first cup on Friday and it was delicious! It was fun serving myself out of my new little teapot.

I also really like iced tea but never make it at home. I've been meaning to, but just haven't bothered. It is my drink of choice though if I'm out at a restaurant in the summer. While I do like some sweet tea, I prefer my iced tea unsweetened, with just a touch of sugar and lemon.

Daisy, I"ll have to try the Tazo zen tea. I'm still going to use bags for when I'm in a hurry, but my loose tea when I'm relaxing!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'm trying the chai teas. Roobios is supposed to have less caffeine or more calming or something. I think they both taste great! Spices, not dull at all.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Just watch out, snookums. Roobios has a reputation for giving people very extreme dreams and I've found it to be true.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Well I certainly don't need that! I haven't heard of such a thing except with those sleep prescriptions. I am off to google. And limit my intake! Maybe to this one box, lol. Do you mean nightmares or just very vivid? Now that you mention it, I sort of recall reminding myself one morning "it was just a dream" and "I have to get up and away from this dream" on another occasion.

Thank you for that information, daisychain!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 17:50

• susieq07
    11 years ago

We do but no tea bags for us, to weak a tea, we prefer instant reg. untill noon then switch to decaf. one cappucino late morn., and one decaf coffee for dinner. And one cammomile tea before bed. Always start the day with 2 cups of strong instant tea, milk & sweetner.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

instant tea??? like the iced tea powders? never have seen 'instant' hot tea...