SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbrad_gw

Floorplan Feedback Request - Round 3

dbrad_gw
11 years ago

Thank you all for the previous feedback on our main level plan. We incorporated many of your suggestions, and made a few other changes as well. I also furniture planned with our actual furniture sizes so I apologize if this one is cluttered.

We are building a ~3500 sq ft 2-story french country home with a walk-out basement on a front to back and left to right sloped, wooded lot.

Some changes we made in this iteration:
- Smaller kitchen island to make more room to the right of it,
- Larger family room to enable us to enlarge the screened porch without losing a family room window,
- Much larger screened porch (roof will be gabled to bring in more light to the formal living room),
- Widened the master closet at the expense of the porch that was previously extended further around the corner,
- Shifted the wall separating the reading nook and master closet - shifted it into the closet by a foot since it is already large and reading nook seemed too tight,
- As a cost-savings measure, took 2 separate 1ft slices (front to back) through the home - one through the master suite and reading nook, and one through the foyer/formal living room. I'm concerned this made the foyer too tight, but other than that I'm okay with the sq ft & $$ savings of that change,
- Pulled out the master bath angled wall a couple of feet more into the bedroom to make that bath larger and simplify the wall angles,
- Rotated the powder room and moved the garage door.

I think those are the majority of the changes we made in this round, and I feel as though we are getting very close to a finished product. As I mentioned above, the foyer is our main concern right now - there is 5' of space to the left of those stairs, and 5' 7" from the front door to the first step - I just wonder if that's enough. We are also considering

We considered major changes to the master suite, and even drew up a decent plan that essentially flipped everything (bath/closet were against the back of the house) but in the end we just really like this layout. It does give a sightline from the formal dining area to the bedroom, but it is more toward the bedroom's sitting area anyway. The rear of our lot is the most beautiful, so we really wanted those back wall windows in the bedroom. We'll just close our door when company is expected - unexpected company will likely use the side entrance anyway.

I'm including the upstairs this time, which I did not do previously. So I'd appreciate any comments there as well.

And here is a shot of the foyer:

Thank you all!

Comments (12)