SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Wolf vs. Viking: Time to Boil, Simmer comparison??

Madeline616
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have to make all of my final decisions in the next couple of days, so I won't be asking too many more questions about these darn ranges.

I've excluded Thermador, BS, CC, etc. and narrowed it down to Wolf vs Viking. My local Wolf salesman gives me as much wrong info as correct, so I resort to the Web and this forum a lot.

I'm mostly a stovetop cook, so I have a boiling and simmering question.

Boiling:

I realize the Viking has the 18,500 BTU burner, whereas Wolf has just 15,000. Does anyone know the real story as far as difference in time-to-boil? (We're talking trying to save a minute or two every time I boil the tea kettle, not a huge pot for pasta. It's often a real time-crunch situation in my household. But would such a small amount of water take just a few seconds more to boil with 15,000 vs. 18,500?)

Salespeople for Viking all claim to have witnessed a head-to-head boil test between the 2, in which Viking was the clear winner. Wolf salespeople tell me it might make a difference of a few seconds.

Simmering:

Does anyone know the actual BTU range of Viking's Varisimmer setting? I keep seeing that it has this wonderful "delicate simmer" feature, but I'm trying for a head to head with Wolf on just how low we can go.

My understanding is that Wolf can simmer down to 500 BTUs, 200 degrees, or 120 degrees on true melt. But I have no idea how to compare that to Viking's Varisimmer.

Thanks!

Comments (25)