SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
egouin

STRUGGLING to build an affordable, energy efficient house

egouin
16 years ago

My wife and I have been STRUGGLING to build an affordable, energy efficient house for nearly three years. The VAST MAJORITY of contractors out there do not understand (or care to understand) why doing things a little differently would be beneficial to the home owner (and the planet).

One contractor I spoke with ONLY builds with 2x4 lumber and R11 fiberglass. When I asked for 2x6 and spray foam, you would have thought I'd asked him to dance naked in the snow! Next.

Another contractor REFUSED to build a non-vented roof assembly despite the case studies and building science articles I gave him. He said, "it's my license on the line, and I am not doing it!" Next.

When I asked one contractor about Geothermal heating and cooling, you would have thought I asked him to wrap the house in gold. He exclaimed, "That’s an $80,000 system and you don't have it in your budget!" Next.

We spoke with several modular dealers about the possibility of replacing the standard wall insulation (R19 fiberglass) with spray foam. Some factories flat out said, "No." A few dealers said, "yes", but when we seriously engaged the factory, the real answer was, "NO!" Next. Next. Next. Next...

We actually had one contractor/modular dealer lead us on for 6 months! Yes, you can have spray foam. Yes, yes, yes... Oh wait, you can't. Our reply was, "goodbye."

About two hours after we said goodbye, the contractor called be back. He said, the factory would like to know if you would like to use SIPs (structural insulated panels). Having previously determined that site building with SIPs in my area was just too expensive, I answered with a resounding - YES!

The short story here is that this contractor didn't really want to build a house like this. When the pricing came back, the house was $80,000+ more than the same house built with 2x6 lumber. It didn't make sense or fit our budget.

Out of pure frustration, we - almost - signed a deal for a standard modular home. However, close scrutiny of the contract showed that the contractor left out some very important items that we would have to pay for if we wanted to live in this house. He left out - front stairs, a deck, and flooring. Less important, but still missing were gutters and downspouts, shutters, and a few other small details. The situation spiraled downward until we finally said, "next!"

At this point, I was so excited about combining efficient modular construction with energy efficient SIPs that I was actually responsible for introducing a high quality SIP manufacturer with the modular home factory. Everyone wanted to see a home built this way - except - the previously mentioned contractor.

I contacted the vice president of sales at the modular home company and the vice president of sales at the panel manufacturer and asked if we could make this happen at a price that made sense for the consumer. They both agreed that it - should - make a lot of sense, but that they had no control over the final pricing coming from the dealer.

I asked the modular factory for the name of one of their local dealers that could get this job done. Low and behold, three months later we are getting ready to break ground on the world's first SIP / modular hybrid home!

It has been a long frustrating road, but if this house performs the way we are all expecting, it will all have been worth it. We are talking about a factory built home that has the potential to reduce heating and holing costs by over 80% AND do so at a price that should be a “no brainer” for increasingly energy cost conscious consumers.

After three years of struggling, extensive research, learning, and trying to educate ignorant contractors �" we finally have something that will be too good to keep to ourselves. I created the website http://www.GouinGreen.com to showcase this house to the world. My hope is that others will see this and build something like it for themselves.

Here’s the water… feel free to drink.

Ed

Comments (12)