SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hittlets

Energy Efficient Exterior Door for Craftsman-Style Home

hittlets
14 years ago

Hello, all,

I've been looking around the forum for some perspective around the energy efficiency of exterior doors, but haven't really found a lot. If there are threads discussing this, or if this discussion would be better off in a different group, please let me know.

Our current front door is wood/glass and we need to replace it. On a recent trip to Lowe's we found an Oak door that we like in the Craftsman-style that we think will fit with out house. However, I was thinking that if we do buy this door we will not want to cover it up with a storm door. I continued to think that a single wood door may not be the most energy efficient (I read that a wood door was about a R-2 in efficiency). I started to consider a fiberglass door, but them my concern became how good or authentic will a fiberglass, craftsman-style door look?

I will add that I live in southern Ohio and our summers (typically) are high 80s/low 90s and winters can get to the single digits through Jan/Feb.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/perspective on a good-looking door that is energy efficient? And if you do, do you have any thoughts on price or where to shop for one?

Thanks to you all for your help.

Tim

Comments (2)