SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Salads...

lindac
13 years ago

To me a salad is pretty much green leaves....sometimes with a bit of red or white or yellow stuff mixed in...but it should mainly be green leaves.

And I tend to get in a rut with dressings....mostly I make my Blue cheese dressing or a dijon vinaigrette.

But at Christmas my son made this...served simply over romain hearts and it was awesome!

Here ya go... for a change!!

Recipe courtesy of The Heaven on Seven Cookbook by Jimmy Bannos and John DeMers

Creole Anchovy Dressing

1 anchovy fillet

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 large egg

2/3 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons Creole mustard ( he used a hot australian I had)

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 teaspoon water

1/8 teaspoon Angel Dust Cajun Seasoning (see below) He used Tony Cachres

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 pound romaine lettuce, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces

Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

To prepare croutons, heat the oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the bread cubes, stirring and tossing in the pan to evenly coat the bread with the oil. Sprinkle in the Cajun seasoning while stirring continuously. Toast for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Reserve for garnishing the salad.

To make the dressing, place the anchovy and garlic into a food processor, cover, and pulse on and off several times. Add the egg, and, with the motor running, slowly add the vegetable and olive oils. Add the cheese, mustard, lemon and lime juices, water, Cajun seasoning, pepper, and salt; process briefly until ingredients are incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.

In a large bowl, toss romaine with the dressing, allowing approximately 3 tablespoons of the dressing per serving. Serve on chilled salad plates; top with croutons and additional Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor