SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Those with professional ranges, does it hurt your back to cook?

Madeline616
12 years ago

The sales mentioned to me that burners on professional ranges (like Wolf, Viking, Thermador Pro Grand that are "professional" depth of 27"), are set further back than on my current cooktop, and some people find this causes back strain.

I tend to have some back pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades, when reaching my arms forward to do things like washing heavy pots. For this reason I got a faucet with a really wide reach, so the water stream is really close to me and I don't have to reach so far forward.

I did notice today in the showroom that with W, V, and Therm the burners 2-3" further away from me than what I'm used to, and when I went through the motions of stirring, etc., sure enough, I started getting a sore upper back and shoulders.

So, is it just me? Does anyone else have this problem? I guess I could just pull the pot towards me when I'm stirring, but it'll be partially off the burner and so not ideal.

I wonder if there's a pro style range that doesn't leave the cook so far from the burners...?

Comments (17)