SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

Soup Swap (exchange) Success!

debrak_2008
11 years ago

Yesterday I hosted my first ever Soup Swap. It was actually an exchange so in the future that is what I will call it. At swaps people trade soups where at exchanges you get one of each soup.

There was a total of five including myself. It stated at 11 am and most left at 1:45 pm. Each person brought 5 quarts of soup, four frozen, one not. We had the non frozen soups for lunch. Then everyone exchanged frozen soup containers and recipes. We had some soup trivia questions for fun. I had a soup ladle for everyone. We had chocolate cream pie for dessert. The whole thing took place at my kitchen island. I was going to suggest we move to the dining room for dessert but forgot. Everyone said they liked being at the island.

The soups were black bean, wedding, lady chicken noodle, potato, and stuffed pepper. I posted the recipes on a separate thread.

I asked for honest opinions from everyone on how it went since none of us had ever been to one before. Here are some notes.

Participents should be limited to 6 as its alot of soup to make. Tasting the soup and talking to the cook, everyone felt encouraged to actually make these soups themselves.

Plan on heating most of the soups on your cooktop. The microwave took too long. Have a few bring pots.

Had crackers and crostini, most went untouched.

Make sure the unfrozen soup to serve is actually unfrozen.

Soup trivia was fun.

We used disposable bowls so with each soup you would get a fresh bowl, everyone liked this so flavors didn't mix.

Use plastic containers not ziplock bags as the bags puncture easily.

We were having so much fun we didn't get alot of photos but here are some.

I plan on doing this again next year. One friend is planning a chili exchange in the fall. I'm thinking of a modified cookie exchange as in frozen ready to bake.

My dessert plans did not turn out. The week had some unexpected things happen and by late friday night I was too exhausted to make a cheesecake that took 3.5 hours. Saturday morning I ran out to get a fresh made chocolate cream pie. Next year I will plan something easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: soup exchange recipes

Comments (21)