SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Calling Grainlady (or anybody else using a food storage program)

triciae
11 years ago

Grainlady,

Lars' lemon tart has brought our food storage to the forefront of my mind this morning. Every day seems to bring 200 hundred new decisions that have to be made immediately and the food had not been a priority - yet. I'm hoping you can answer a couple questions for me.

We were flooded out of our house by Sandy's surge. We completely lost everything 4' down in the house. I'd hoped it would have only been 3' but, in the end, they took 4'. We didn't get that much storm surge but the water crept up drywall, interior wood trim, doors, upholstered pieces, case furniture, draperies, etc. and our contractors, insurance adjuster, and the town inspector told us to toss everything 4', or below. So, I outright lost some of our food storage that way.

Everything else was packed by the flood remediation company (not us) and quickly tossed into a POD placed in our driveway. No boxes are labeled. Everything we still owned after the flood went into that POD. Obviously, NOT climate controlled.

It's been stupid cold (at least by our norms) for the last couple weeks. It's been down to 3 degrees above zero. I'm concerned about what I can't see when we eventually get to unpack. Thinking about Lars' tart...how to you suppose #10 cans of freeze-dried fruits/veggies survived that environment. Also, the packing didn't happen immediately after the flood. The emergency remediation took about 3 weeks before they even started to pack things up. So, the food storage sat in that horribly humid environment for quite some time with no heat (no power for furnace).

What type items do you think will be okay and what do you think absolutely should be tossed? For instance, I'm wondering if I could use my tomato paste as patio pavers? What about meats? Grains? Pasta? On and on...

Thanks so much for your expert knowledge, experience, and help.

/tricia

Comments (5)