SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Blood pressure and menopause

harriethomeowner
13 years ago

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I got to thinking many of you wise people might have some experience with this, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm 53 and in the middle of menopause. I've had no really bad symptoms -- no hot flashes or any of that -- just my periods getting more intermittent (skipping several months, etc.). Though I'm sure I could stand to lose a little, my weight has been the same for years. I'm a vegetarian and don't eat a lot of salt or salty processed foods. Don't smoke, rarely drink (one glass of something every once in a while). I get regular mild exercise (though again, I could certainly use more).

My blood pressure has always been normal -- 120/80, or therabouts. However, when I went to the doctor for something else last fall, it tested high, I think around 150/90. He had me come back in December to check it again, and it was better (~130/85, I think), but he told me to come back in another two months. He suggested more exercise.

So I joined a gym and started working out a couple of times a week (aerobic stuff -- bike, treadmill, etc.). Last week I had my annual OB/GYN appointment, and when they checked my blood pressure there, it was 150/98! I got a home wrist machine and have been checking it daily since then, and upper number has been between 140 and 150 each time. The lower number has been in the 80s. Pulse (heart rate) has been between 45 and 65.

So I've been wondering whether there is any connection between menopausal changes and blood pressure, or if it's just a combination of age and genetics. Everyone in my immediate family has high blood pressure, though there is no heart disease as far as I know. I'm one of the slimmer people in the family and the only vegetarian. I have an older sister who has recently gotten a bit thinner than me after a stint of Weight Watchers, and her blood pressure went down, but she still is on meds.

I found one recent study where they found the only possible cause for increased blood pressure in menopausal women was that they gain weight. But I haven't gained weight.

Sorry this is so long. I'd be really interested to hear anyone else's experience. TIA.

Comments (13)