SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icarus5

Northland Refrigerator Temperature Problem

icarus5
13 years ago

I have a Northland 24" refrigerator with a freezer on top. It's about two years old, but there's a huge problem already with cooling temperatures. About two weeks ago, I arrived back home from a vacation to a refrigerator that was warm inside. All the food inside spoiled and my house smelled horrible. The compressor was still running, but not able to keep the interior cold. I unplugged the refrigerator and scheduled a repairman to come, which was in 4 business days. The morning of the scheduled repairman visit, I removed the grill covering the compressor and some trim pieces in preparation for the inspection. I noticed some water collected in a tray underneath the coils which I emptied, then plugged the machine back in. The machine started working again, and when the repairman came, he could find nothing wrong with it. He said that if it didn't start to work again, the only thing he could do was to order an entirely new compressor from Northland, which would cost about $1400! Sure enough, a week passes, and it stops cooling again, but I find that when I unplug it for a bit and plug it back in, it starts cooling again. This time no water in the collection tray under the coils.

The compressor has always been noisy and seems to run a lot, but I think this is a characteristic of all Northland refrigerators. I just can't think about sinking more money into a machine which is barely two years old!

Has anyone else encountered this problem with Northland refrigerators? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)