SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spacific_gw

Pizza New Years Eve - best one ever

spacific
12 years ago

We've been hosting New Years Eve Pizza Parties now for more than 10 years. There's a local Italian deli that makes dough fresh daily. I bought 12 pounds (yes, that's the maximum we can make in a night - 24 pizzas - one on the grill, one in the oven, starting at about 6 pm!)

I make a simple tomato sauce, and have on hand a few basics - garlic, olive oil, etc. Then guests bring toppings and they make the pizzas. The first couple of years, people brought the usual toppings, lots of jars of ragu, canned mushrooms, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni...

But little by little, my "foodie-ness" is rubbing off, even on our non-cooking friends. Last night's combinations were out of this world. Here are some of the topping combination highlights.

- arugula, emmentaler, burrata, grated pecorino romano, roasted garlic, carmelized onions and tiny super sweet tomatoes

- asparagus, prosciutto and gorgonzola

- duck and hoisin sauce

- tomato sauce, fresh garlic, anchovies and fresh mozzarella

- roasted butternut squash, brie and other unknown cheeses

- roasted veggies - red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, garlic, tomatoes (total non-dairy with gluten-free crust)

- bacon, dates, brie and just a touch of maytag blue (this one was perfect at midnight with the champagne)

- a classic margherita

- homemade Italian sausage with fresh basil and black olives

It was so much fun to listen to my (non-foodie) friends talk about going to Chinatown to get duck, making sausage, carmelizing onions, searching online for topping combinations, tasting cheeses, comparing olives - A great way to end and begin a year.

Comments (6)