SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

1st time decoupage

oldalgebra
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

I recently got a catalogue from Gumps Department store (How I got on their list is a mystery to me!) and spotted a large tray that would fit perfectly in an office/game room in my house. The drawback was the cost - $295.

The item description said it was decoupaged, so thought I would try to replicate it on my own. Trouble is, I've never done any decoupage before. I've tried reading up on it, but can't seem to get a feel for it. Some sources make it look ridiculously easy, some make it sound like I need to hire an artsan of the highest order. Here are my questions:

1. I have an old tray from IKEA that has wooden sides and what appears to be formica on the tray part where you'd set a dish or glass. From what I've read, a person can decoupage right on glass, so I am hoping I can decoupage right on the formica part. Is that OK? Will the paper stick?

2. I will be using papers of different thickness (playing cards), zerox paper, heavy tag boad. Is there a substance that can be poured over the decoupaged pictures that will help smooth the uneven surface without detracting from the pictures, or will the glue itself take care of that?

3. Do you have a glue that you would recommend?

Also, any tips you might be able to give me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County