SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Pick up procedure - School security

amj0517
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to tap in to the experiences of other parents here. When we were kids school security didn't seem to be a major concern, but unfortunately, things are different today. In fact, my preschooler had a "lock down drill" last week at school.

I am wondering what the procedure is at your child's school for picking them up at the end of the day. My oldest is in kindergarten so this is a whole new world for me. His school changed things this year to tighten security. Parents were not permitted in the building for regular school pick up. Instead, we were given a number that we held up outside the building, and the students have a corresponding number pinned to their back packs. When the teachers saw a match the child would be sent out to the parents. This process was less than perfect in my opinion, but I understand and appreciate that they are trying to keep the school secure.

Now that the weather has turned (we're in MI and it has been single digit temperatures), the school changed the procedure so students go to the gym and sit in numbered sections, parents are then let in the building and when parents and kids see each other they checkout with a teacher.

As much as I hate standing outside in the cold, this new process completely defeats the original intent of keeping people out of the building. I hate the new (and old) procedures, but I don't think it is fair to complain unless I can offer a suggestion for improvement.

So please help me if you can. How are things done at your school? Does it work? Do you feel that it is efficient for everyone, and safe?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations