SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Things to ask a landscaper?

User
13 years ago

We have no landscaping around our house yet and after a few years of it being bare, it's on the priority list for the new year.

I know very little about shrubs, flowers, etc. I said I was going to read up and learn but I honestly find it overwhelming and I'm just not into it. As much as I love the look of the photos on garden calendars, I'm not willing to spend that much time with up keep.

I posted photos about a year ago but didn't get much feedback. Our house isn't symmetrical and there are some other challenges with the land layout. DH is all excited and physically capable of doing the work but I don't just want to wing it, buy a bunch of stuff and it look so-so. If we're going to spend money on stuff I want it to look nice.

I'm assuming you typically sit down with a landscape designer for something like this? Are people willing to even do such a thing if you're not going to use them or even necessarily their stuff (plants, etc.)? I'm thinking it would be a better price deal to have them do all the work? We live in the sticks and there are landscapers but I can't imagine they have a "designer". I'm guessing it's probably more of we call and ask for a price for such and such, they give an estimate and do the work, you know? Does Lowes offer a landscape design service?

I think I have DH convinced to sit down with a landscaper for some design suggestions and if the price is right, he might even be ok with someone else doing the work. I need to know what all we should be asking the people when we call? Any advice?

Comments (40)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

There are landscape architects and designers. I just recently had someone come out and do a bit of work at my dad's house (he's helpless on knowing what to do, my mom was the "planner") and the guy is actually doing a design for my grandmother's house. In recent years most of her shrubs have had to be taken out in the front. He did a drawing of what he thought would look good - working with the house, the windows (ie he will accent a large picture window on one end of the house with certain plants), etc. I have a problem area at our house that we can't seem to get just right - at least to me LOL. I asked the landscaper if he could come up with a plan for us but with us doing the work. My hubby and I enjoy doing it and I are fine with doing the actual labor rather than paying someone else to do it. It's the design part I'm having trouble with! So, in answer to your question, yes designers will do just a plan. He also suggested that (if we want), we can purchase the plants through him as he gets a substantial discount.

Is there a university in your area that might have a horticulture and/or landscape design program? You might find someone that way, perhaps even a graduate student or an instructor who does this (would usually charge less).

tina

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Did you ask this on the Garden forums? You need to know what zone you're in, what your soil is like, and what will thrive without much maintenance. I'd never ask some landscape guy because he's just going to sell you what he thinks will work. You don't need to become a subject matter expert, but trust me, the Garden side regulars are a great resource.

• Related Discussions

Things to consider before you start asking questions

Q

Comments (28)
    " After you have identified the different species of butterflies that are in your area, THEN you can ask us questions" I don't see any reason why people can't ask any question that they want, it may get annoying to someone who has answered it a hundred times BUT noone says that you have to answer it again. The choice is yours! I have seen many postings and I think that SOME people just like to create "issues" when there really isn't one. This is supposed to be a fun place to come and share your comments and knowledge. I don't think anyone comes here to get scolded for asking a question, some people don't have all day to search the threads. I know I don't. I'm sure that I have asked questions that were asked before and people have been very kind. Maybe, a little more time in the garden would be helpful. I find a walk around my gardens as good as a valium!(not that I have taken them but you get the drift) Lisa :)
    ...See More

Good things come to those who ask!

Q

Comments (7)
    Mira, one year I got a load of "mulch" from Asplunde Tree Trimmers. It was a mix of ragged green leaves and coarsely chopped wood about 2 or 3 inches long. They dumped this big pile in my driveway about 12 feet wide and 5 feet tall. It smelled like rotten spinach by the time I finally got it wheel barrowed and spread out but I ended up with about 4 or 5 inches of solid mulch. In a couple years it was completely broken down and it really did help my soil a lot. I don't think I would repeat it, I mean it really stank bad after day 3 or 4 but just in case, you might want to check it out. I don't know if they still do that but I had seen these piles in different places and found out thats what it was. It smelled OK once I got it on the garden but I really was gagging by the time I finished taking down the pile every time I got a new load of it. This is the second time I am trying to send this. GW keeps spitting it back so if it prints twice, that means I pushed the send again button. I really don't get that when it happens.
    ...See More

Things you wish you'd asked

Q

Comments (4)
    I was lucky to have a genuine storyteller in my dad - I got to hear the one about the time he got grounded and spent the afternoon in the bathroom, playing with the fish my grandmother had in the bath tub (gefilte fish used to be something you made at home, not bought in a jar) and about dad stealing his dad's old Packard, and breaking several speed records trying to get back from Atlantic City before his old man got home. I have some of the lenses he used to grind and polish on his lunch hour while he was working at the frankford arsenal during the korean war, and the shotgun he bought during the race riots - to protect his black friends from the police. he always knew this would happen, and tried to fill us kids up with the family history - we're both adopted, and at least one branch of the family has always referred to us as foundlings, not grandkids, which upset my father no end (it upsets them now that I come to visit them more often than their kids do - but then, if I were their kids, I don't know that I would visit them, either) my goal for the year is to set the stories down on paper... and hunt down as many of the supprting characters as possible, to get 'other sides' of them.
    ...See More

Macv, could I ask you one more thing? (Anyone else chime in!)

Q

Comments (12)
    Ooh la la! Great shingle example, macv. Pamela, how are your boards deteriorated? It may be that there are too many thick layers of paint, and painters are worried about getting one more coat to adhere well? There is a house in my neighborhood owned by a pro painter. It's over 100 years old. The last time he painted it, he had his crew scraping and sanding like crazy, often to bare wood. Some boards were replaced. I have never seen such a thorough prep-job, but, then again, the owner was a pro, and probably keeping his crew busy between other jobs. I'm not sure anyone else would have been willing to pay going rates for that much prep work. It was probably triple the cost of a standard paint job when all was said and done. I wonder if painters are turning down your job because it would similarly require intensive prep to be done right. Maybe they just want to spray and go to the next job. But if you could get someone to bid on it, sanding, scraping, board replacement, the whole nine yards, it might be cheaper than new siding, and future repainting would not be so expensive, unless you let it go too long between paint jobs. I'm not saying this is what you should do, but you might want to consider it. Also I don't see how keeping existing siding precludes insulation. My house had insulation blown in from the inside when we were repainting rooms anyway. From the outside, they only have to remove two clapboards; one high, and one low, to blow in. You have solar panels to save energy. There is an energy cost to produce new siding, and to dispose of your existing. Considering this might be one more piece of your analysis. I think you have a beautiful house and great taste. It's nice to see another old house owner who takes the time to research before starting a major project. I'm sure the results will be beautiful no matter what you decide.
    ...See More
  • natal
    13 years ago

With no knowledge of landscaping/gardening and no desire to learn your best bet would be a designer or consultant. I think I'd steer clear of Lowe's or Home Depot. I've found their knowledge of plants is limited at best. Find a real professional.

This is a good post I found on the Landscaping forum for someone who was asking a similar question.

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 14:17

Since you admit to having no experience in this area and are unfamiliar with plants, this is an excellent opportunity to enlist some professional help. A landscape designer or consultant in business in your area would be an ideal place to start. Not only would they be familiar with locally popular and hardy plants and the types of maintenance they require, they can help you develop a cohesive design plan that suits the property and your needs.

Many homeowners are unaware that the design portion of a planned landscape is the least expensive portion to get help with and arguably the most important. With an overall design plan in hand, you can plant and develop the garden as time and budget permits and yet avoid the costly trial and errors of the uninformed DIY'er. Many designers also offer advice on curb appeal to spice up the exterior of the residence to create greater impact or a more welcoming approach and entry.

There are various versions of downloadable landscape design software on the market, many of which are free, but they are not a substitution for professional input. Like a designer's drafting paper and pencils, they are only tools that can help with visualization but need to be utilized in conjunction with with design principles and plant knowledge. And an understanding of the site and its potential limitations. Without that background, all you will have are some 'pretty' pictures such as those displayed above that have no basis in reality.

Fall and winter is an ideal time for planning. Get some professional assistance now and you'll be ready to roll in the spring.

• User
    13 years ago

Any decent garden center should have someone on staff who can come to your house, walk around your yard and measure where appropriate, ask you questions about your likes/dislikes AND willingness to take care of new plantings! They may also take soil samples and then take all that knowledge away and come back to you with a sketched out plan drawn to scale. In this example, you would pay for 1)the house visit and 2)for the plan.

Taking it one step further, if you decide to go with their plan and want them to do the work, they should acquire the plant material, sod, soil, compost etc and then come to your home and do the work. If you go this route, the original cost of the house visit and plan should be included in the total.

A good written estimate will be broken down to show labor, each named plant and it's cost to you, other materials, tax and the total.

I've worked at 2 garden centers and this outlines the steps we take.

You are smart to be thinking of this now. I would try and start the wheels turning by mid-February if you want the work done early in the season.

Also, you could consider contacting the Master Gardener Extension in your area. They could recommend folks, too.

• barb5
    13 years ago

One thing I would encourage any gardener to do as they are deciding on what plants to landscape their home with, is to seriously consider planting native plants. Last fall I read Bringing Nature Home by Doug Tallamy. He writes very clearly about what we are doing to our environment by bringing in all these very pretty, but alien plants into our yards. Alien as meaning not evolving as a part of the ecosystem where you live. Such as Norway maples, which are not from America. They are fine in Norway but not here. They don't support wildlife, and because they leaf out so early in the spring, they suppress grow of our native understory plants beneath them. So plant a native maple instead. Or a native oak. Or a native dogwood, etc.

Not only are we risking spreading disease and foreign insects (now the west is fighting Sudden Oak Death which is killing oaks and spreading east, and the wooly adelgid which is killing hemlocks) and also risking these plants invading and going wild in our remaining wild areas, but aliens don't support wildlife.For instance, birds raise their young on insects and if there are no insects, there are no birds. And most insects are very specific as to what plants they will eat.Many of them will not eat these alien plants. No insects, then no butterflies, no amphibians, no birds, etc.

Reading that book was a game changer for me. As an avid gardener, I never really thought about the plants I brought into my garden in terms of what role they play in the greater scheme of nature.I will be looking very carefully at my own yard and taking out some alien plants that are known to be invasive, and substituting native plants. I have bought a book listing native plants of the northeast.

I don't know where you live Shee, but I am sure there is a comparable book listing native plants for your area.

Decorating outside isn't that much different from decorating inside. Decide the function of the spaces: inner yard space for relaxing, eating, barbecuing, perhaps a play space for the future kids, maybe an herb garden, etc. Then decide what other functions you want to have. A windscreen? shade? privacy? future pool? etc. Make a picture of your yard with the N/S/E/W on it and try out different set ups. How much maintainence (for instance, we have a rapidly diminishing lawn as lawn mowing is not how I want to spend my time.)

Have fun with it, gardening really is a blast!

• natal
    13 years ago

If a consultant suggests planting a Callery or Bradford pear tree find someone else immediately!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

I think you are wise to start considering the outside of your house at this point. Landscape investments typically show a return of 100-200% at time of resale! That's even more bang for the buck than the 70-90% a kitchen reno gets you! Curb appeal is really an asset.

Whomever you end up talking to, student or pro, here are some things to tell them:

(I want my yard to be attractive all four seasons of the year.) Yes, your yard can have interest all four seasons with proper design & plant selection.

(I want my plant selections to have unity.) The design should be harmonic, plants should compliment each other, and elements should be repeated throughout the design. Avoid using too many different varieties. Shrubs should be grouped together in beds or borders for maximum effect. Plant shrubs in odd numbers. As for trees, they are the most dominant and permanent part of the landscape. A large tree behind the house but visible above the roof, can soften the roofline. Be careful about planting too large of a tree in the front, and plant any trees away from the foundation of the house. Give trees room to reach maturity & proper shape.

(I want my design to provide a frame for my house & be compatible with its design.) The primary focal point of the front yard should be the entry of your house. The goal should be to reinforce and strengthen the visual appeal of your front door through the landscape design. Less can be more. Too many "attention grabbers" result in chaos & visual confusion (this is true of garden accessories as well as plantings.) Also, it is important to avoid placing large plants too close to the front door. This can make the entrance feel claustrophobic and unwelcoming.

Much as an attractive frame enhances a picture, well-done landscaping will draw more positive attention toward your house, and enhance the architecture.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Somebody please give Barb5 a bouquet of native roses!! My job requires me to work with plants, water & fish & wildlife, (Specifically with wetlands) so I see a lot of what not-to-do.

Native plants are your best friend. But they also take a lot of appreciation, as they're not always the pretty things we like to see. But natives need little to no fertilizing, pest control, irrigation...they're pretty much maintenence free once established. I can't tell you just how BAD fertilizers are for the environment...and never use them where they can run off to streams.

That being said, you're going to want to understand the hardware involved with landscaping, not just pretty plants. You need to first decide how much time you're realistically willing to spend on your yard. How much do you value flowers versus evergreens.

What about irrigation? Will you have a sprinkler system installed? That will play a big part in your landscape plan. Site of your house, where does the sun hit...do you want it shaded in the summer and clear in the winter? (Thermoregulation) Or do you love evergreens? Deciduous trees will drop leaves that have to be tended to...some are 3 season buggers, like the giant tulip tree poplar we have in our yard. There is spring bloom, summer seed drop (which coincides with the aphid appearance) and fall leaf shower. In winter it drops branches.

Proximity to your house is another factor for trees. You don't want something with shallow roots near the house, it'll increase the likelihood of it falling on your house, and it'll pop your foundation. Thirsty trees near waterlines will result in roots in your sewer lines and calling the roto-rooter man every year.

You need to look at your topography...water flows downhill, so anything you plant you want to make sure it's not going to drain toward your house, deck or other features.

Once you get the hardscape issues out of the way, then you can pick your pretty things. My choice is no lawn and xeriscaping. I love cottage gardens, but hoooboy, they're a pain to maintain. So I have lots of roses & lavender. I use a lot of ornamental grasses too, and perennials...they only need a couple years to establish, then they're pretty much drought tolerant.

Hire a GOOD landscape architect first...they can help with the hard stuff, and they may have contact with a designer, too.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Never gave much thought about the native stuff but it makes sense.

Pesky - All those things you mentioned were things I definitely need help with. I'm not sure what I can plant where and I can look things up but then it if there's no design plan.. ugh. I feel like I just go in a circle and I just don't have the time or the desire to mess with figuring this out myself. I actually thought the landscape designer helped do all that so that's good to know.

• daisyinga
    13 years ago

We had landscape architects come out and give us landscaping plans both for our old home and for the home we live in now. Both times we contacted a small, independent garden center with an excellent reputation. Both times a landscape architect came out to our home, talked to us about what we wanted, went back to his office and drew a plan and mailed it to us. My husband and I installed the landscaping ourselves. The plans are to scale, which helps tremendously when doing the work yourself.

The first time we had a plan done, we were young first-time homeowners. The landscape architect was very helpful, and gave us tips about how to outline our beds (with a water hose), how to trench the edges, kill the grass inside, mulch, how to space the plants, etc. He was very budget conscious, and most of the plants he suggested were relatively inexpensive and easy to find. A very few plants were expensive, but those plants gave us a lot of bang for our buck.

Our first home didn't need any hardscape. It was a new home with very little landscaping already done, just entry-level builder's shrubs along the front of the house. Our second home was an older home that did need the sidewalk ripped out and some hardscape installed. The landscape architect designed the hardscape, suggested things like benches and described the type that would look best with our style of house. I think he even recommended a door color.

The only thing we told our landscape architects was that we wanted a drought-resistant, pest-resistant, easy to maintain landscape. We didn't specify any particular plants, etc. They designed beautiful, relatively inexpensive plans that had 4 season interest, textural contrast, colors that looked great with the house paint.

The money we spent on those landscaping plans was some of the best money we ever spent. The more mature our landscaping gets, the better it looks. The landscape architect suggested plants I would never have thought of, and he suggested plants that fit the space once they are mature.

I wouldn't go with a place like Home Depot. And I wouldn't go with a big chain nursery. If it's possible to get recommendations from friends, that's a good way to go.

I hope you find something you like.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Not everyone is on the native bandwagon. While I certainly agree with avoiding invasive plants and for the sake of disease control and originality not using the most common of plants, most of our highly treasured shrubs are not natives and they are beloved favorites. I don't think anyone is going to get rid of their hydrangeas because they originated in Japan. Or camellias or magnolias....

Anyway, landscaping is a lot like decorating. You may have a plan but it's still your yard and it will be ok to plant something even if it's not on the specs.
    That's how many gardeners learn, plant something then move it later because it doesn't get the right amount of sun or they realize indignantly, the tags were wrong about the size!

• barb5
    13 years ago

Thanks Pesky!

Bumblebeez, you are right when you say that not all alien plants are equal. I absolutely love peonies; in fact I farm them. In the many years they have been brought in and planted on this continent, they have not been known to invade anywhere they are not wanted. So while, they don't support wildlife, including pollinators, I don't feel guilty about them. Especially when I have many blueberries planted right near them which are native and which buzz with bumblebees. :)

But my beloved Miscanthus Morning light is a big invader and I am sorry to say, I think it will go out. I have too much to do to worry about deadheading every seed off it and then how to destroy the seeds? I'll have to do some research. So I think that perhaps a little bluestem grass or a panic grass will take its place.

So any invaders I have will be removed. Then as the well behaved aliens live out their lives, they will be replaced with natives.

But if I were just starting out like Shee is, I would really think about my plant choices. For instance, there are native hydrangeas: the oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia) and smooth hydrangea (hydrangea arborescens) are both natives. And there are native azaleas and rodos as well. And the mountain laurel which is lovely.

One of the reasons I love gardening is that you never stop learning. And Doug Tallamy's book has opened up a whole new thought process to me. And a whole new opportunity to search out and plant plants that I wouldn't have really thought about before. And I picked up Designing Gardens with Flora of the American East by Carolyn Summers. I think it would be hard for anyone to look at the picture of the garden on the cover and not think it is anything but beautiful.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Actually, I just looked up Miscanthus. According to Carolyn Summers, most of its invasive properties are through its root system and not its seeds, especially if it doesn't have another cultivar in the neighborhood to mix with. And I haven't seen one around.

I have my Morning Light in a restricted area where its root system can be managed. I will just have to make a point to deadhead it, I just have one plant.

That is what I'm talking about in terms of always learning something in gardening.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Another great feature of natives: in many cases they invite birds/butterflies/bees into your yard. Don't be like my former neighbors and chop down a beautiful rose bush because it was doing what it was supposed to do, and atttracted honeybees! Every time I think of that I get a knot in my stomach. Honeybees need our help and support now, and they seriously aren't aggressive--I work amidst a sea of them when my sedum blooms every summer. It's the yellow jackets and wasps you have to be careful of (who aren't attracted by the same plants), and they look different enough you can teach kids of almost any age to be on the lookout.

If you choose the right trees/plants, you may end up attracting some gorgeous birds--ex. we hear and see hummingbirds every time we go outside in the spring/summer/fall.

The natives we have (and were 'given' by the birds) are always the toughest and most likely to survive temporary climatic extremes. I love them. You can google 'native plants [your area]' and see what comes up.

Some of those natives (or drought-tolerant non-natives) may also give food *humans* can eat, without the bother of planting every year (e.g. the usual starts you see at the big box stores--tomatoes, peppers, etc.) -- blueberries spring to mind here, which are really stunning in fall with their gorgeously colored leaves--or drought-tolerant herbs like rosemary or lavender--you can have your landscape cake and eat it too!

So think native and wildlife-supporting. Man, I didn't expect to write this much -- just on hold with ebay help :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Barb, are native plants that have varieties still native?
    I don't know if I'm wording this right but not all oakleaf hydrangeas are native so where do the different varieties come from? I have several, Alice and a smaller upright one I can't remember.

Ultimately, I would choose the best cultivar choice for a location over a native that was less showy if I limited space- I spent years getting rid of ordinary plants and replaced them with better cultivars that had better form, bloom, winter interest, hardier, heat resistance, etc.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Check with your local extension office for lists of native plants and also cultivars that are not 'offensive', offensive meaning they have the tendency to become invasive or otherwise not desirable.

Oregon has listed certain types of buddliea (butterfly bush) as it's incredibly invasive. Purple loostrife (Lythrum salicaria) is a beautiful plant but very nasty in the environment.

Certainly everyone is entitled to whatever type of garden they wish...I just hope that if people have the choice, to pick landscape that does the least amount of harm to the environment.

I was at a wetland site that was at the base of a slope where new homes had been built. Each of those homes had sod lawns, ornamental trees and other plants that required high maintenence. Those homeowners were really perturbed that a drainage swale was vegetated with 'weeds'. Cattails, sedges, and other valuable plants were the 'weeds'. All I could see was the phosphates and nitrates that would run off into the river from their landscapes. Those 'weeds' were helping to clean the river. Fish & Wildlife had noted a high rate of dissolved oxygen in the river at that spot, due to the run off, which results in high algae blooms and fish die off.

I love cultivars like the next girl. I also have tons of peonies, but I chose carefully when I pick plants to think of their impact on the environment as well as give me pleasure to look at. And, frankly, native plants do take a lot less work!

Here is a link that might be useful: invasive list

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Good grief, pesky...Oregonians upset about a bioswale?! UGH. I'm embarrassed for my fellow state citizens. Guess that's a chance to educate, yes? Maybe with coloring books etc. for the kids so they can understand the natural genius that is a bioswale? Do you do a lot of education in your job or is that another person's responsibility?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

We have a large lake here with many million dollar homes and the landscaping - with accompanying pesticides and herbicides- is a big problem for the lake environment.
    My only point was that based on the previous posts is that it's not all or nothing; having non native plants is perfectly fine and acceptable.
    I felt like some of the posts gave the impression that natives only are the ONLY way to go...and I do know some people do feel that way.
    Each state has a list of invasives by rank and all homeowners should know what they are.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Bumblebeez, my understanding is that when certain varieties of a plant are discovered in nature, they can be propagated and named as a variety. An example would be the pink variety of the native white flowering dogwood, which would be considered a native plant.

Things change when a plant is produced by hybridizing a native plant with a non native plant. The resulting progeny would not be considered native, as the chemistry of the leaf will be different from the native parent and so will not fit into the niche in the ecosystem occupied by the native parent.

So knowing the parentage of the plant in question is important.

In my book of native plants it lists the oakleaf hydrangea as native, so I'm not sure of what you mean when you say some aren't native. It also says that there are many nice cultivars available, but didn't list Alice specifically.

I hope we haven't frightened Sheesharee off. I didn't bring up this topic to be anyone's plant police, believe me!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Gardening does sound daunting when you don't know anything, but you have to start somewhere.
    Thanks for the info Barb, I actually have a good book on Hydrangeas by Dirr if I would get up and move my butt!

That was a helpful explanation.
    I don't have any native but now that I really think about it, I have 4 different varieties of oakleaf.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Uh, yeah...I think I'd be scared if I had clearly stated, "I know very little about shrubs, flowers, etc. I said I was going to read up and learn but I honestly find it overwhelming and.... (I'm just not into it.)"

While all this is quite interesting to seasoned plant enthusiasts, it's more than a bit out of context to Shee's stated needs and concerns. She's just starting out, for crying out loud!

• natal
    13 years ago

Stinky, everyone knows that. The conversation simply evolved ... like they all do.

BB, I planted two Oakleafs this year ... a regular and a dwarf. Keeping my fingers crossed that they're happy in their new home. The fall color on the dwarf was absolutely beautiful!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"I hope we haven't frightened Sheesharee off."
    Haha, no. I'm still here and I read all the responses. It's a lot of info and over my head but that's ok. Someday maybe I'll be a landscaping pro. ;)

Heeh, those picky homeowners wouldn't like to be my neighbor with the way my grass looks right now. Actually, some of you acutally might not either! :)

DH, back in his early teens, had a job at a small local nursury. I think I'll start there and talk to them. They know who he is (obviously) and we had our wedding photos taken at their beautiful property.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Natal, I'm glad yours have done well. Mine are not impressing me but it seems like we've been in a drought forever.
    The Alice had spectacular - as in just the best- late fall color red I've ever seen, but I moved it this year out of deep shade into more sun.
    It responded with tons of new growth but the fall color was dull. Maybe just the weather I hope.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Shee,

When I bought my first house I was single and had little money left over. I knew nothing about landscaping, and hired someone. It was the last time I did that. It was costly and they did not plant properly. By this I mean, the soil was never amended before the plants were placed. I lived in partial wetlands and had a lot of deer. The soil had a lot of clay and sand. They placed too many plants to make the landscaping look full. I landed up moving everything within 3 years. That's when I started learning. It also helped that I had guidance from a co-worker who worked at the Philadelphia Flower Show as their technical support. Smart and talented guy. For the sake of saving money, I started to become educated.

I landed up doing the rest of the landsaping myself after my landscaper experience which included amending the soil in all my planting beds.

So, with this being said, please choose carefully. You have to start with good soil and even though you have no interest now you will soon. Take all the advice you read here as part of that education so that you don't waste money.

When we moved into our new TH the first thing I did was tear out our beds and start over again. I noticed the beautful planting the builder provided us with were not doing well. Again, the soil was the issue and the roots on some were bound.

I have bought small plants from HD and Costco in the early spring. Bought a Japanese lacey leaf Maple at HD for $50. They are all doing well. The improved soil has made a big difference. You do not have to over spend for plants. Buy small so you may not have to move them for a while. Don't be afraid of HD, Lowes, or Costco. Remember small things grow into bigger things. I've gone to the small garden centers in the past and have found the same success with plants from stores I mentioned above.

I have also learned to have low maintenance beds since I don't have a lot of time nor do I want to spend a lot of time gardening. I plant alot of everygreens of different varieties and textures. I like red leaf shrubs also. Not sure what your Deer situation is like but if you have deer, Rosy Glow Barberries may be an option for you as one of your choices shrub.

As a beginner, a landscape designer is a good option for planning. One other thing, make sure you get irrigation. It's a pain to water with sprinklers.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I agree on not finding anyone at HD or Lowes. They are not going to have a designer/architect there. I'm not sure a local nursery would either. Ours around here don't. Here, they are generally self-employed. A university or your local extension office should be able to give you a name. Just check credentials and make sure you are getting someone qualified.

I love hydrangeas, but don't really have a good shady area for them. Love the oak-leafs, but I don't think they'd do good with our sunny yard. My sister has a whole area of them (shaded) and they are just gorgeous.

tina

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I've hired many landscaper in the 27 years that I've lived in my home. I've been disappointed with the majority of them. Over the years I have become fairly knowledgeable about landscaping and gardening in general but neither DH nor I have the ability to haul in large amounts of compost, mulch or shrubs.

So here's my advice based on previous experience. Don't let them know that you're a novice. Be present whenever work is done. Watch and observe. Get several estimates which should include drawings along with a list of specified plants - then you can go online and check out the various requirements for each plant. Don't let them overplant an area, or plant too close to the house. If planting shrubs or trees find out the height and width in 10 years growth and at maturity (unless you plan on moving and won't have to deal with trimming, pruning or invasive roots).

Many landscapers are capable of drawing up beautiful plans but ask them who will be doing the physical digging and planting. Find out if they will be on site to supervise. I have watched many landscaping crews drop pot bound shrubs and flowers right into the prepared hole without properly preparing the roots (cutting into the root mass, spreading it out to allow for future growth). Sure they look good for a year or so but that isn't a recipe for future success.

One way to judge a landscaper is to see if he/she suggests a soil test first. This should be done in several areas. And if the soil needs to be amended and you have the money to do it - have the entire plating area amended now - ity will make future plating so much easier.

Just some thoughts - good luck.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Does your DH have an interest? If not, then it's still wise, as a consumer, to at least get a basic gardening book specific to your region, and do some reading, so that you won't waste time and money. There's always going to be someone trying to sell you something you don't need. Always address the soil and drainage first.

You'll also need to be very clear about SPECIFICALLY what you mean by "low maintenance"...how often are you willing to water, prune, divide, deadhead, fertilize, etc.?

I would hire a landscape designer, and when you do, make sure to look at actual properties that they've designed, both new and old. You can certainly have them draw up a plan for you, with specific plants listed, and then do all of the work yourselves.

The Landscape design forum here is really great. If you ask or do a search on that forum, I'm sure they'd have lots of other helpful suggestions.

And just my 2 cents on using natives and adapted plants...we amended our soil using all organic products, no pesticides, etc. Planted native and adapted species, and over the course of just one year, saw a huge change in the insect and bird population. Loads of butterflies, hummingbirds, robins, praying mantis, and the neighbor's honey bees were very, very happy! It was really a lot of fun through the spring and summer to see all of the activity going on. I'm excited to see what happens this year, now that things are even more established.

• natal
    13 years ago

BB, both of mine get morning sun. The larger of the two will hopefully be shaded somewhat by the nearby Chaste tree. This year will tell.

Franksmom, great shot of mating!

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

That was totally an unplanned shot. I was just out looking at the tree and saw them, so ran back in to get my camera. I bet we saw a dozen varieties of butterflies last year. Very cool!

As a general rule, I think pesticides, herbicides, and other garden chemicals have their place. If we had termites or some other destructive thing, you'd bet we'd poison them till they were gone, but I think if you plant adapted species specific to your zone and soil, the need for such things is much, much less. It's better for the plants, better for the soil, and most importantly, better for our own bodies. I cringe when I think how much diazanon, malathion, and Sevin dust my parents used when we were kids.

We planted a very large area of new landscaping last winter, and it was a huge learning curve for me about what would and wouldn't work there. I'm still learning and working the area, but I was just thrilled at how well some things did, and how much wildlife it attracted. The goal is to have a low maintenance, drought tolerant area that provides color and texture throughout the year. In Texas, full sun, clay soil, it's been an adventure!

And this is dorky and lame, but there were two praying mantis that hung around all season. One on the back porch, and one on the patio. It seemed like every time I was outside, they were there, and we found lots and lots of egg sacks around the yard. I was actually sad when it got cold and I found them dead on the patio.

• natal
    13 years ago

Nothing lame about that! I remember the year I bought praying mantis eggs for the garden. The good guys are always welcome.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Incredible shot Franksmom!

And here I thought I was the only one to miss an insect. When DS was small, we raised a monarch. From feeding it milkweed leaves everyday, to worrying that it had died in the chrysalis, to watching it emerge as a butterfly waiting for its wings to dry, and then seeing it fly off.

Too bad it couldn't send me a postcard from Mexico letting me know it had made it, lol.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i think you're in the northeast, so... we happen to live in an area where there are lots of deer and i have found out since moving here that deer will EAT ALMOST ANYTHING!!! we've had to replace lots of things over the past 8 yrs because of deer damage...many of the plants were "deer resistant"... i will spray my pots in the spring with invisble fence, but with landscaping it's hard (though every winter i put an awesome black netting on our holly bushes out front and it's saved them!)

so, if deer live near you, i would tell the landscaper i wanted deer resistant plants and then research every plant they propose putting into your scape just to make sure!!! will save you $$$ and aggravation!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

franksmom, I agree re the organic approach. It's just amazingly splendid how many species we get. And the worms! Our soil went from moon-crud (that's what came to mind when I dug into the horrific cr*p that the PO had put in to make a slight berm) to worm-filled, alive, wonderful nourishing *earth*. I sometimes get the feeling that the word gets passed in the bird and insect community: "unpoisoned flowers over in the cul-de-sac--pass it on" :)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to give an update to this.

DH did agree it would be best to have someone else come up with a plan so I contacted an old coworker and he drew up a design that we're very happy with. I wasn't super specific about the look because I wanted to see what he'd come up with and he nailed it. Although I didn't know what I wanted I have inspiration photos saved and had a fuzzy outline in my head. He even added big rocks which is also something I wanted.

We talked extensively about things and we're good to go. Sadly, nothing is planted yet but we may have to do a little at a time. It's going to look so puuurdy.

We also have a garden this year, yay! DH planted quite a lot of stuff but I just want lots of tomatoes. The ones from the stores aren't the same.

• natal
    12 years ago

Great news! Summer's a good time to create beds and amend the soil, but it's usually better to wait till fall for tree and shrub planting unless you're prepared to water well throughout the summer.

So what else is in the veggie garden besides tomatoes? Are you harvesting anything yet?

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Sounds like you are moving forward Shee!! Just the last couple of weeks we have been enjoying one of my favorites - cucumbers!! We planted a much smaller garden this year.

Our landscaping got put off. Our landscaper came out, discussed a plan, we talked plants, etc. He is great about doing what the homeowner wants. However, he is very much in demand. Besides his landscaping they do maintenance - mowing, mulching, trimming, etc. I had him do a good bit of that kind of work at my dad's. He tries to stop his landscaping by end of April so plants will not be stressed by summer heat. He has 110 yards to mow and had one guy quit, so we are waiting till fall. No way am I taking a chance on planting this summer. Hubby and I have slowly been reworking some of the back yard landscaping but wanted to have the front professionally done. For some reason I have more trouble there.

You mentioned rocks - one of the first thing out guy said was with the pitch of our roof (the height of the house), that our rocks were way too "puney"!! HA! He will do a rock wall with some other rocks as border. Can't wait to see that. I recently bought some huge pieces of flagstone at a STEAL, and we are incorporating those too.

Good luck - and keep us posted!!!

tina

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I'd love to see pictures, Tina!

• natal
    12 years ago

Me too. ;)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I'm just getting back to this.

We (ahem..DH) also planted peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, carrots, and corn. So far we haven't been able to use any of it but it all looks to be coming along along nicely.