SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

Things to consider before you start asking questions

perennialfan273
14 years ago

Lately, it seems like everyone wants to know, what can I plant to attract butterflies?? Well, the thing is, there's no simple answer to this question. In order to be successful at butterfly gardening, you have to know several things:

1. What butterflies are native to your area??

2. What sorts of plants grow in your area??

Every butterfly has a different habitat range, and different types of plants that they feed on. Try to plant things that will attract butterflies that are native to your area or that feed off of plants that naturally grow in your area. After you have identified the different species of butterflies that are in your area, THEN you can ask us questions. We are able to give a lot of helpful advice, but first we need to know more about your area and the types of butterflies/plants found in it.

Also, remember that if you want the butterflies to stay in your area, you have to provide several things for them:

1. Nectar sources for the adults (butterflies)

2. Food sources for the young (caterpillars)

3. Water

4. A safe place to raise their young

Keep in mind that if you want them to stay around all year, you have to provide food for both the caterpillars and the adults. Make sure that their is a steady supply of water in your area (such as a bird bath or a pond). Finally, make sure that there is a safe place for them to lay their eggs (somewhere that isn't out in the open).

Having said all this, I look forward to helping out in any way that I can.

Happy Gardening!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH