SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Fennel is confounding me

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

What parts do you discard? The outer stalks? Do all parts taste equally good? Are there different ways of cooking the different parts? Or different uses? I bought a fennel bulb, diced up the inner bulb part for salad, but I don't know what to do with the long green stalks. I know I can use the skinny leaves for seasoning or garnish.

Comments (16)

• rachelellen
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have used the stalks to replace celery in certain recipes. Removing the fibers is a bit more work than commercial celery. They have a similar texture with a different flavor. They add a nice twist to a fruit salsa to top grilled fish with. You can add them to fish stock, or use them along with onions as a bed to roast fish on.

The fronds can be chopped and used as a substitute for dill, mint or parsley. I have made a potato salad with a lemon and fennel frond vinaigrette that was very tasty as a side for grilled fish or chicken. The flavor of fennel goes well with lamb, too. A julienne of leftover leg of lamb, mixed with olive oil, white wine vinegar, minced fennel fronds, shallots, garlic, a bit of sugar and salt is excellent on a bed of greens for a nice lunch (if you like spicy food, as I do, add some minced serrano pepper). I have a fancy that a similar salad, made with leftover roast chicken or hearty fish like swordfish or tuna would be great as well, though I haven't tried it yet.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Fennel is a great underused culinary herb. All parts of the plant can be used, i.e. leaves, stems, seeds and bulb. It has a mild anise flavor that is good in lots of recipes. It can be substituted in recipes that call for French tarragon. It is good in beef, pork, chicken, and seafood. You can add some to a salad for a nice surprise flavor. The bulb can be thinly sliced and sautd in a little olive oil with a little balsamic vinegar poured on top.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Bronze Fennel & Florence Fennel

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi there, I'm interested in Bronze Fennel since I won't grow milkweed and fennel is safe and edible, let me know what we can trade, thanks. Love butterflies. Bea
    ...See More

tiny bugs on dill and fennel - aphids??

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Cindy, I liked that one too, I thought it was worth posting all by itself! I think the argument is something like: aphid: I was here first cat: I'm bigger than you! aphid: I have a lot of friends cat: go get your friends, I'll have this branch eaten by the time you get back, oh and I have friends too! They are called "humans" and they can squish you with their little finger!
    ...See More

Dog Fennel - Is it poisonous?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks again, Annaneaves! You may have saved my horses' lives! I've searched for 2 days & found nothing - but that's how I found this awesome gardenweb forum. I was going to go ahead & get the hay for my horses (since my hay man thought it'd be ok), when I saw you answered my post. Now I know dog fennel is highly toxic to the liver & can even be fatal to humans who eat meat or milk from a cow who's consumed it! You're an angel - Bless you! Therese :) Here is a link that might be useful: killerplants.com
    ...See More

Confounding Crape Myrtle (half sprouting, half not)

Q

Comments (9)
    Can you rephrase your comment, please? Are you suggesting stems 3 and 4 were just stuck into the original 3-gallon pot to appear as live stems? ===>>> ill try ... lol if you have a shrub or tree... that has one trunk at the root flare ... https://duckduckgo.com/?q=root+flare&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images you can not plant the trunk deeper ... its made to be in the air .. not underground ... i was thinking maybe they ... you clearly said it came this way ... buried it to deep ... to make it look like this ... BUT .... shrubs often grow like this ... and they are actually individual trunks.. properly planted ... i dont know ... so i asked you what if anything you observed if you repotted it ... i dont quite understand if it was potted as we see it.. or you repotted it??? the only thing for sure.. in that it was fine last year.. but suffered after winter.. that winter was a big part of the equation ... i might take a tablespoon ... and look around the trunks a few inches down .. and see if anything is interesting .... ken
    ...See More
  • jimster
    14 years ago

I like rachelellen's suggestions. They sound very good to me.

My best use of fennel so far is a soup, starting with thinly sliced fennel bulb and onion sauteed briefly in olive oil. Then add fish stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add bite sized pieces of ocean perch or other fish and simmer gently for ten minutes. Add salt if necessary. Garnish with fennel fronds.

I concur with ltcollings that fennel is underused. Fennel direct seeded in my garden was a vigorous grower. Try it.

Jim

• brody_miasmom
    14 years ago

We love fennel. We like it roasted.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I'm glad you asked this! I always wonder what the heck to do with the stalks. (Thanks, Rachelellen.)

Ipink, have you seen the website Sqwakfox? Sometimes veg recipes show up there, and since one of the focuses is frugal living, you don't often see saffron or truffles on it. :) Anyway, I haven't made these yet, but the white bean and fennel soup is on my "to try" list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veg soup recipes

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Groovy blog Bean! So many recipes say use a fennel bulb, but to me, the stalk parts seem kind of tough and stringy. Fennel is underused at my house due to its cost. I have a rule that I can't buy any produce over $2.OO per lb. and if there is a cheaper alternative I use it. Usually when I want a fennel I use celery and ground fennel spice. I don't know why it is so expensive where I shop because I found it for $1.79 per lb. in MI. I'm sure I could find it for less if I was able to get to the produce market more often. Anyway, if I pay that much I don't want to use only half of it. What I did for dinner tonight was kind of like the white bean fennel recipe, except I used kidney beans. I used the tougher outer bulb and the stalks and fronds, except I fished out the toughest ones at the end. It is so yummy. The other seasonings were bay leaf, 4 cloves, a large diced onion, one large garlic bulb, 1 TBLSP fake bacon bits, a salt free bouillon cube, and a half cup of merlot. I also added about 1 half cup of dried tomatoes because it was so soupy (I'm making a rigatoni casserole with them). The rest of the recipe is to add the rigatoni, some fake pepperoni (fake in my vegetarian case), and top with parmesean cheese.

• jimster
    14 years ago

"I have a rule that I can't buy any produce over $2.OO per lb..."

That's why I grow things like fennel in my garden and buy things like dried beans from the grocery store. It's fun to be able to pig out on things which are expensive when store bought.

Jim

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Ipink, Sounds like we have the same shopping rules. :) My goal for this year is to decrease our grocery budget by at least 15%, so that ought to get me off my butt about planning meals better.

This is a small town, so they don't get adventurous in the produce department. I can't get Japanese eggplant at all. (Still? More selection than in KY!) And I've seen fennel exactly twice since I've been here. I have several recipes lined up for when I can get my hands on a bulb without breaking the budget.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I love fennel, and I can even buy it here. Well, not really right here, but in Big Rapids at the Meijer's, 30 miles away. It's usually about $1.89 a pound.

I like it raw, I kind of use this recipe for salad, but I seldom have arugala, so I use whatever salad greens I find, and I seldom have shallots, so I use a bit of minced garlic, or I use a dressing of just balsamic and oil.

Arugula, Fennel, and Orange Salad
    Bon Appetit

1/4 cup minced shallots
    3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    2 large oranges
    7 cups arugula, trimmed
    1 large fennel bulb, quartered lengthwise, cored, thinly sliced crosswise
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced

Calories: 88 kcal:Carbohydrates: 15 g:Dietary Fiber: 4 g:Fat: 2 g:Protein: 2 g:Sugars: 6 g
    About: Nutrition Info

Whisk minced shallots, olive oil and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

Cut all peel and white pith from oranges. Using small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release segments. Combine arugula, fennel and onion in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Add orange segments; toss to combine. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Yield: 6 servings

I use all of the fennel, pretty much. I chop the stalks finely for salad, braise or cook the bulb, toss the fronds into soup. I discard the very root end or I toss that into soup too.

Thanks, Jim, for that critique on growing fennel. It's something I haven't tried yet but I love. I think I'm going to try shallots this year too.

Annie

• petaloid
    14 years ago

We see a lot of wild fennel in our area -- does anyone know if this is safe to eat?

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Petaloid, I used to harvest it from vacant lots in the bay area all the time. Every part of it is edible, from the stalks, fronds, flowers and seeds to the roots.

The main problem with harvesting wild foods is that you don't know what they have been exposed to in terms of chemicals etc, if that sort of thing concerns you. You wouldn't want to munch down a fennel salad right after someone sprayed RoundUp all over the plant to get rid of it!

But as I said, I used to do it all the time, and haven't poisoned myself yet. :D

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

On a nature walk a long time ago, I was told that hemlock is a related plant that looks very similar to wild fennel so if you are trying to harvest wild fennel, make sure that what you are picking has the licorice scent of fennel.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I've been watching this thread. I grow bronze fennel in my flower garden, love the looks of it. I know it is supposed to be just like regular fennel, & been tempted to try it. Frankly though, while I like the smell of it, I don't like the taste of licorice, so I have never tried it. It spread a lot, so would be nice if I liked the flavor.

• traceys
    14 years ago

Ngraham, I don't like licorice or anise flavor and don't like whole fennel seed but I love fresh fennel and almost always have it on hand. Try it you might like it. I was really surprised when I tried it. My teenage son likes it too.

If I'm not mistaken Lpink posted this fennel vichyssoise recipe. I think that's where I started using fennel. Anyway it's good stuff.

Tracey

Fennel Vichyssoise
    Serves 4-6.
    Prep time--20 min + 25 min. cooking time and optional 30 min. chilling time
    3 cups chopped potatoes (doesn't specify peeling, but I would)
    3 cups water or vegetable stock
    1 TBLSP fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 cups chopped leeks, white parts only
    2 tsp. olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed (too much for my taste)
    2 1/4 cups chopped fresh fennel bulbs (1 large or 2 small bulbs, whole plants with fronds)
    1/2 cup peeled and chopped parsnips (optional)
    1 TBLSP white wine or water
    1 - 1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seeds
    1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
    3 cups 2% milk
    Minced fresh chives to garnish.
    Combine potatoes, water or stock, and lemon juice in a med. pot. Cover and bring to a biol. Then simmer uncovered until the potatoes are tender, about 15 min.
    Meanwhile, in a soup pot, saute the leeks in the oil on med. heat for about 5 min., stirring frequently til softened. Add the garlic, chopped fresh fennel, parsnips if using, and white wine or water. Cover and continue to cook for 20 min. (I'll bet you might have to add some more wine or water ocassionally to keep this from sticking.)
    When the veggies are cooked, add the cooked potatoes and stock to the soup pot.
    In batches in a blender or food processor, puree the soup with the milk until smooth and creamy. Serve hot, at room temp. or chilled. (One of the best arguements for a hand blender is to make vichyssoise!)
    I'll bet you could make this with a moderate amount of celery and up the ground fennel for a similar effect if you couldn't find fresh fennel in the store. (or couldn't afford it as is usually the case with me.) I'd be tempted again to throw the whole lot, EXCEPT THE MILK, into the crockpot until tender, and then add the milk and puree when ready to serve.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't much like licorice or anise but do seem to like fennel, but only in moderation. I have found that the bulb and stalks dont have much of an anise taste. It's a great feature of Italian cooking. But like I said, I usually sub celery and a dash of ground fennel for actual fennel due to it being cheaper. Although I end up having the big stalks of celery that I buy for the best price go bad on me usually. Today is the day one can register for a community garden plot, and I am going to try for one. Wish me luck! I also have fennel seeds whole, which I use in chai and just for fennel tea, which is popular in Germany as a digestive aide. My brother who lives there turned me on to it.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I wonder if the fronds could be used to make a fennel pesto? Could be interesting. There was an Iron Chef episode in which fennel was the secret ingredient. They even used fennel pollen, which I would never have thought of doing. I wish they'd post recipes, but they don't. I hope you get that garden plot, Linda, but even if you don't, most veggies, even fennel, can be grown in containers on your patio if you get enough light.

I got my son to make Alice Water's fennel and parmesan salad for Christmas dinner. It just used the bulb, but oh, it was sooooo good. I was skeptical, being so simple, but it was really, really good.

I checked my Deborah Madison cookbook, and she says she hasn't found much use for the stalks other than for soup stocks - the stalks for stocks, heh heh.

Barbara Kafka, in her book, Vegetable Love, recommends drying the stalks, and using them on top of the coals when grilling fish. She dries her own by hanging them in bunches in a dark place. She differentiates between the wild fennel that grows in California and along the shores of the Mediterranean and Florence Fennel, which is the one with the "bulb."

As for the bronze fennel, I love the flavor of it's leaves. One of my favorite uses for it is to saute carrot coins in butter, with salt and pepper to taste, till they're just tender, then add a sprinkling of diced bronze fennel leaves and serve.

Here's the shaved fennel salad, which I got from the blog, Orangette. The commentary preceding the recipe is hers.

Shaved Fennel Salad with Mushrooms and Parmesan

Adapted from Alice Waters and Julia Child

Part of what makes this salad feel special is its elegant, layered presentation. But if youre short on time or just dont feel like fussing you can certainly toss it in a bowl like any other salad. As for variations, you can try adding a dash of truffle oil for some sophistication and snazz, or, if youre feeling frisky, try replacing the mushrooms with paper-thin slices of Asian pear. We thought of that a couple of days ago, when we shared an Asian pear after big plates of this salad. The mingling of flavors was fantastic. Needless to say, its next on our list.

1 medium fennel bulb, about 10-12 ounces
    5 or 6 small mushrooms, preferably crimini or white button
    Good-quality olive oil
    A lemon
    Sea salt, such as Maldon
    A hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
    Freshly ground black pepper

First, prepare the fennel. If it still has its feathery fronds, cut them off at the base of their stalks, and discard them. Rinse the bulb under cool water, and dry it thoroughly. Using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, trim away any bruises or brown spots on the very outermost "skin" of the fennel. Cut the bulb in half from root to stalk, and trim the root end. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice the fennel as thinly you possibly can.

Now, prepare the mushrooms. Wipe away any dirt on their surface with a damp paper towel, and trim off and discard the stem end. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice the mushrooms very thinly.

Assemble the salad in layers on a large platter or, if you prefer, on individual plates. First, make a layer of fennel slices. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Then place a layer of mushrooms on top of the fennel. Drizzle lightly with lemon juice, and season with salt. Using a vegetable peeler, cut thin shavings of the cheese, and arrange them on top of the mushrooms. Add another layer of fennel, followed by a light drizzle of oil, and then another layer of mushrooms, lemon juice, salt, and cheese. Repeat until you run out of fennel and mushrooms; you might have two layers of each, or you might have more; it doesnt much matter. Finish the salad with a good drizzle of lemon juice and a hearty splash of oil, and garnish with a few shavings of cheese. Serve immediately, with salt and pepper to taste.

Yield: 2 quite generous servings, or 4 side servings

Sally

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz