SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin6958

Confounding Crape Myrtle (half sprouting, half not)

Curious what you think about half of the stems on this crape myrtle sprouting, and half not.

This plant was purchased as a 3-gallon variety and potted, as you see it, late last summer. I chose this particular plant because of the 4 stems having the appearance of 4 distinct/separate "trees" when viewed in a miniature setting. Aside from bottom-up root pruning, I made no other alterations to the root ball. In other words, I did not separate the 4 stems - they were already arranged/composed to my liking.

I did not attempt to shape/prune the plant when planted; I decided to wait to do all initial pruning at the same time I pruned my other ground-planted crape myrtles, which I did on February 9th this year. All 4 stems appeared equally healthy throughout last summer, through the fall and into early winter - all were equally leafy and each stem bloomed together as I would have expected.

But I'm confounded that only stems #1 and #2 are sprouting. There is still not a sign of any sprouts on stems #3 and #4. Given that I never separated the stems, the entire root ball received the same treatment through the winter (same watering, etc.). What's got me really confused is that to the touch and feel, stems #3 and #4 are totally pliable when gently bending - no cracking and no breaking. Just to be sure they weren't dead, I pruned those stems again 4 or 5 days ago to see what the wood looked like, I cut each branch/twig back ~3/4" to 1" and every cut revealed green wood. To rephrase that, stems #3 and #4 are not dry wood.

Stems #1 and #2 are behaving exactly as I would expect by sprouting right on time along with every crape myrtle in my region.

Your thoughts?

Comments (9)