SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fandlil

Espresso

fandlil
16 years ago

We have been using a bottom of the line Krups espresso maker for several years now, and have decided we need something better. There are so many choices and prices that reach the stratosphere that we don't know what's right for us. We like to make cappucino for two a few times a week. We want a good machine that won't break the bank, and that is easy to use. I don't think we want or need one of those "fully automatic" machines that probably break down at the slightest provocation. Can somebody guide us?

Comments (37)

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A few web sites you should visit:

Home Barista

Coffee Geek

I just recently acquired a Vibiemme Domobar Super (manual) from Espresso Parts Northwest and couldn't be happier. I don't know how much you want to spend, as the Vibiemme is close to $1,500, but it will give you as close to a "pro" shot of coffee as you can imagine.

If you enjoy the methods of making espresso, I would stay away from the plasticky units you find at department stores and go for the well-built semi-pro units. You will also want a good burr grinder to give you the best grind for espresso as well as Turkish Coffee if you want to go exotic! :)

• weissman
    16 years ago

another site to check out

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole Latte Love

• Related Discussions

Picture of Dark Espresso and Light Espresso Mable

Q

Comments (4)
    Silly me, I thought you were looking for Maple not Marble. Do you have a name of the specific marble you are looking for? I have nothing called Espresso. Emperador is a brown marble. But it scrathces or etches easily. It is not often popular in kitchens for the reason cooks often use vinegar, lemon, tomatos. Well frankly these etch white marble too but it is not quite as obvious with a white stone. I love Emperador. It is gorgeous. I will post some images of Emperador which can be a dark coffee or a lighter latte look. And I will also suggest some granites or even Quartz in the brown family that might work better in a galley kitchen. But, Wait, I must tell you my own sister has Emperador in her Lake house. She loves it. But then we are italian and know marble is meant to be etched. It shows what great cooks we are. (smiles) If this is not what you are looking for, let me know and I can try to do a search for you. I found nothing called Espresso brown granite. ~boxer Emperada Marble (Emperador) Emperador Marble around the tub Emperada Dark Marble Could be a light Espresso Marble Emperador Emperador Rain Forest Brown Granite (Harder than the Emperadas) Persian Brown Granite looks like marble with the pattern and movement but it does not etch the same way. Persian Brown Granite Zodiaq Quartz
    ...See More

Pairing espresso cabinets with the right paint color.

Q

Comments (3)
    Take a photo of your floor tile and cabinet choices with a piece of white paper for color balance. Do you want a white, off white or a definite color?
    ...See More

Hole in quartz counter for espresso bar

Q

Comments (3)
    You can not do any of that. You will fail inspection. And have a big ugly hole in your stone to cover to boot. You're required to have *readily accessible* outlets so that no point in your counter is further than 24” from an outlet. Crawling under the counter and into the cabinet does not comply, and you will fail inspection and have to install it the correct way anyway. And the reason for it needing to be accessible? Have you ever had a small appliance fire? And had to unplug it to stop the fire? If not, youre lucky. Now, you can do plug molding under hppers, or shelves, but you get ugly dangling cords. Put in a quad. Put it directly behind the coffee machine. No dangling cords. ”Hidden” all you want. The emergency access, is easily reachable.
    ...See More

Which cambria quartz will go with my espresso cabinets

Q

Comments (19)
    I know you want wood floors, and it's exciting to go from vinyl to real wood. Can I ask you to skip a beat and take a look at wood finishes that are less yellow/golden/orange and look at finishes that are more greyed or reddish next to your espresso cabinets? Or even better, consider stone or stone-look porcelain tile flooring with radiant heating underneath. If you still want to go with the casual look of lighter floors and dark espresso cabinets, that's your business. I only mention it because you seem to be taking the safe route of light wood floors and quartz countertops, although those work better with white cabinets. I just want to make sure someone points out that your espresso cabinets offer the potential for a much more elegant look.
    ...See More
  • lascatx
    16 years ago

We were in a similar situation to yours when we bought a fully automatic -- you grind and tamp and it brews to various settings. (All the automation names seem to be about one step above what seems intuitive.) I thought then that I had more serious problems that coffee would fix if I couldn't grind the coffee myself.

That machine was a Solis, and we were very pleased with it. We also got good recommendations for Saeco and Gaggia. I think any of those brands should do well for you, but my suggestion would be to do some online research. Coffeegeek.com has a lot of reviews, but it's kind of like coming here and reading about appliances -- take it all in, a few grains of salt and look for patterns rather than one specific comment. I would also suggest browsing a couple of website and possibly calling 2 companies we've dealt with -- aabreecoffee.com and wholelattelove.com.

Their folks are very knowledgeable and can help you narrow your search by talking to you about what you brew, how often, how finicky you are and how finicky you can tolerate a machine being. They can also help you with price rage and figuring out what the beast deal for your needs and price limits might be. They can tell you if a particular machine is great for brewing straight epsresso but not so great at forthing or visa versa. They can tell you if they will still brew a good shot if the grind or amount of coffee is a little off or if it an exacting machine. And so on.

Our current machine is a Jura Capresso S8 and we love it. It grinds, tamps and brews and I don't have to wipe coffee grounds off the counter many times a day. Actually, we have 2 of them. We discovered the newer similar models are twice the price and don't allow me to froth and brew directly into a tall mug, which is faster and saves washing a frothing pitcher and spoon each time. We brewed over 5000 cups with the first one before ordering the second one and DH is planning on taking that first one to his office. They still offfer this machine as a refurbished one. Both of ours were refurbished and came with full warranties.

If you use yours a lot and can swing it, I recommend them highly. If you really want something simpler or don't use it daily (ours is our only coffee maker), I'd scope out those two websites and see what appeals -- then call and talk to them about them. I'd plan on spending $350-500 for a good, basic machine.

• cj47
    16 years ago

Abree and Whole Latte Love are two parts of the same company. They're good to work with. If you're thinking of going higher end, you can also check out Chriscoffee.com. He is known for stellar customer service and excellent products. Definately go over to Home-Barista and Coffee Geek. You will learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know about coffee! And save part of your budget for a really good quality espresso grinder. The grinder is the most important part of any home espresso set up. Have fun!

• abd1
    16 years ago

I used to own a Kitchenaid model that had dual boilers and was about $900. It was ok, looked great, but I never could get a great shot of espresso out of it. So, I sold it and bought an Expobar Office Lever from wholelattelove.com. I cant recommend it enough. I lived in Italy for 3 months and now live in Portland, OR where coffee is a big deal and I can honestly say that the best shots of espresso IÂve ever had come off this machine. Is it a bit of a manual process, and I recommend buying a good grinder, but I love the fact that there is some skill involved and once you get the hang of it pulling good shots consistently is pretty easy

• lpolk
    16 years ago

I splurged and got a Jura Capresso "super automatic" 2 years ago (my model is no longer available but we got it on that Whole latte love site too). Like Lascatx, I am thrilled with it, and since I don't go to Starbucks anymore It has definitely paid us back (and I think it makes better coffee!). We use it at least twice a day, but often 4-5 times, and it still works fine. (non-fat vanilla latte for me, 2% cappuccino for DH). I do need to get a replacement steam nozzle, but it isn't broken, just looser than on day 1. The ease of frothing and steaming milk with it makes all the difference in the world. I also love that it has a hot water spout for tea.

It supposedly makes "coffee" but really is an americano - espresso+water which I don't care for but as long as you get good beans, you will get great espresso.

I was expecting it to be tempramental and break, but it works perfectly every time and I am so glad we got it. We were too lazy/messy with the manual ones and didn't use it as often. This one tells me when to clean, descale, refill and empty it. They are expensive but since it's been over 2 years I am happy to say it was worth it.

• java_man
    16 years ago

I've been making espresso at home since 1975 (using a venerable "Atomic" steam-powered machine), and bought my first "serious" pump-driven espresso machine in 1992. Over that period I've owned 5 espresso machines and 5 grinders, and have helped several friends find machines that were suitable for their needs.

One thing that's abundantly clear to me after all this experience is that the machine YOU need is the one that is the best solution for YOU, based on:

- how fussy you are about the quality of your espresso
    - whether you like it straight and strong or in a milk-based drink
    - how willing you are to put up with the fuss and learning curve to make great espresso at home, and
    - how many guests you want to serve espresso to simultaneously.

Many people are attracted to the convenience and ease of use of the integrated "one machine" solutions (grinder plus espresso machine). But I've never seen any of these integrated "super-automatic" machines -- including ones costing up to $2,000 -- that can produce espresso that's on par with what you can coax out of a $400 espresso machine and a $300 grinder. And "coax" is the right word, because any experienced home espresso fanatic will tell you that you DO have to coax ANY espresso machine to produce a consistently excellent product.

A $400 espresso machine and $300 grinder will allow you to make one or two first class espressos or cappuccinos (provided you have good, freshly roasted beans).

If you want to make more than that at one sitting, you'll probably need to move up to a ~ $800 espresso machine and $300 grinder. And you can move up from there to increase convenience and speed, as well as slight increases in quality of output.

If you're willing to sacrifice espresso quality for convenience, a "super-automatic" may work for you. But make sure you're REALLY satisfied with this trade-off before you buy. Several friends have bought these machines only to trade them in several months later because, no matter what they did, it was impossible to compensate for the shortcomings inherent in the designs.

Java

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

java_man, great advice!

I used to own a Gaggia Classic which cost me around $500 or so. It served me well for almost 10 years and made some darn good espresso. The only drawback to this machine, and others in this price range, is that it takes forever to make lattes for a dinner party. The machine just doesn't have the output required to make several espressos or lattes in a row, and you can't steam while you brew espresso.

Once you step up to the $1,000 range, you are going to find machines that weigh over 50 lbs with large boilers and professional pressure valves, large water reservoirs (or pre-plumbed), etc. With these machines, you can make espresso after espresso, latte after latte, limited only by your supply of water to the machine. You can also steam and brew at the same time, a huge time saver in my book. The steam output of these higher end machines is tremendous as well. I was shocked how quickly I was able to steam milk compared to my Gaggia.

At my last dinner party, I felt like a barista pulling shots for at least five or six people, one right after the other.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

We get much better espresso (DH drinks it straight, so no hiding the facts) from this Jura super automatic than any Starbucks and most other coffee shops. It's better coffee and espresso than our simple machine and separate grinder and far less mess. I would say a few shops (mostly 1000 miles or more from us and none that we could have regular access to) have comparable coffee. We have had to work at finding the right coffee since our favorite place in CA closed about a year ago. When you are drinking steam brewed and concetrated shots, the bean and the roast become more importan that in a drip brewed pot too.

Everyone finds what fits them and swears by it. What I have may or may not be the thing you like best, but we've been brewing happily (other than a few coffee bean trials and bags we tossed without finishing) for 4-5 years now. If you have the ability to try them at stores, showrooms or in homes, it would be great. I didn't have that -- I hated the built-ins we saw and were able to try. No others were live here. I don't know of any places outside of NY or the west coast where you might find that. That's why I relied onthe folks at Aabree and Whole Latte Love (not surprised they are now connected -- they have similar business and values).

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

You don't have to look far to find a better cup of coffee than what you get at Staryucks! :)

The best part about buying a coffee maker is that there are SO many different kinds, suitable to almost every style of home barista. I like engaging in the madness of pulling a perfect shot of espresso and steaming the perfect pot of milk, so I got a machine with an e-61 group head and a stepless Macap burr grinder. For others, the perfect espresso may have everything to do with the simplicity of pushing a single button. Both are wonderful ways of making espresso and latte at home, and both will handily beat what you get at Starbucks as long as you invest in good beans. The best I've found at the grocery store are Tulley's and Peet's, but make sure they are as fresh as possible.

All the sites I've seen recommended so far are very good sites where you can educate yourself. Be wary of the forums, there are some wonderfully insane and eccentric folks in there obsessed with their coffee. There is certainly no shortage of information and opinions on the different machines. Whether you get a super automatic or a shiny imported chrome E61 machine, it will certainly become the focal point of your kitchen counter!

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

I am chiming in here after one drink and no experience with espresso . . .but I love my coffee and totally agree with those who talk about the perfect bean/roast and the fact that it isn't hard to get better than Starbucks . . . I am looking into the espresso route as we are redoing the kitchen,but right now that is only a pipe dream.
    For those in central va, Shenandoah Joe roastery is THE way to go.

I think my next upgrade is to a burr grinder - it's one step at a time.

Cheers to all,

Nica

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

For those of you who order lattes on a regular basis at your local coffee beanery, think of a good espresso machine as an investment that will pay for itself. Every time you make yourself a latte at home, you save yourself over $3.00. I drive a lot as a real estate agent, so I put mine into a large travel mug before I hit the road.

A $500 machine will pay for itself after only 167 homemade lattes, and if you drink one per day that's less than 6 months before the unit pays for itself.

• java_man
    16 years ago

What's more, if you get a good machine and grinder, and have a source of freshly roasted quality beans, you will be able to beat Starbucks quality, hands down. And within 6 months to a year, you could be producing cappas and lattes at home that are nearly as good as you'd get at the best cafes in Seattle (or any other city with a strong espresso coffee culture).

Java

• naparover
    16 years ago

another option you may want to consider that nobody has brought up. Like a few others here, I have a Jura Capresso at home...and yes, its an amazing machine....killer good coffee etc., and i love americano so its easy. After many years with a semi Pasquini, i got sick of all the manual and grounds, and just want to push a button. While the Jura is great, its also pretty expensive.

Recently I got for my office a tiny Nespresso Le Cube; I tried a few single serve coffee makers and they are all horrific...as is the coffee. This Nespresso really rocks...Id say the espresso is better than my Jura...significantly more crema and certainly more consistent than any hand machine unless you are a barista in the making. Nespresso has 10 varieties of coffee which really are shocklingly good....but of course, it doesnt take whole beans, so your choices are limited to Nespresso, but at only $299 it blows everything ive seen at many times the price out of the water.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I was at a party last night and got a few shots of nespresso decaf , I was impressed.
    I have an Avanti pod only machine and love the convenience and it makes a decent shot . I use the dark roast Illi pods.

As for the superauto machines, my friend has the jura and uses supermarket beans, it makes a yucky shot. I think it's all in the beans.

• java_man
    16 years ago

I'll start by re-stating that while there may be popular consensuses on food and beverage choices, there are no "right" answers . . . except that you are perfectly justified in liking what YOU like! All it takes to appreciate this is a trip to a foreign country where you sit with the locals, trying to choke down some "foul-tasting" dish that the locals think is manna from heaven. Who is right and who is wrong? The answer is . . . . everyone is right for their own tastebuds!

I don't post this to impose my tastes on anyone. Indeed, some espresso fanciers I know have independently and consistently identified flaws that I can't taste in my own espresso. But I like it, and some others do, too. So tastes are individual. Your taste can be educated and developed, but it is limited to our ability to distinguish a variety of flavours (my ability is relatively low), and is biased by the list of flavours each of us likes and dislikes.

That said, I haven't seen many hard-core espresso drinkers who like the results produced by nespresso machines, and every nespresso shot I've tried has had thin, pale, tan crema, and has tasted thin and bitter with none of the silky mouthfeel or the caramel/chocolate undertones I expect in a good espresso shot. I and other hard core "espressianados" find the same thing with super-automatic (all-in-one) espresso machines.

But as in all matters of taste, the bottom line is that everyone should find out what THEY prefer . . . and hope to heck you're satisfied with a convenient, inexpensive solution.

Java

• michaelmaxp
    16 years ago

A little bit of knowledge should help sort out some of the points being expressed here. Great coffee comes from understanding and by then chasing down the methods and hardware that can make it happen. Warning! This is a slippery slope, in that nothing culinary on earth is as finicky, and so subject to tiny mistakes as is coffee. Once you start up this path, perfect bean juice obsession can lead you into a kind of pergatory... an insanity that can be very expensive. Of this I can speak with much clarity and assurance.

1. Beans need to be fresh. Once roasted they can keep 10 days, maybe squeaking up to 14 days, but no longer than that. Air and moisture is coffee's natural predator so air tight storage and no freezers because of the condensation (moisture). Once ground, flavor loss begins immediately, and the difference between a great drink and so so, or down-right bad, is a matter of minutes. So you want fresh beans and a grinder. Hard core espresso afficiandos need a burr grinder, hardest core drinkers, a conical burr grinder, average non espresso coffee drinkers will do ok with a 20 dollar blade grinder. The degree of the grind (fine to course)must be matched with the style or method of preperation.

2. Ultimate espresso requires the correct water temperature to extract the desired flavor compounds (over 600 different identified compounds- more than fine wine). The temperature needs to remain stable throughout the entire extraction process- 202-205 farenheit, depending on the bean and the degree of roasting.

3.Correct water pressure is required to push the water through the grinds and at a pace slow enough to dissolve the flavors, but fast enough so as not to over extract the bitter aspirin-like flavors of caffeine. The target is 22 to 28 seconds depending on the bean, the roast, and the equipment. Department store priced units are typically unable to fufill this pressure requirement and always unable to sustain the temperature requirements stated above.

4. Points 1-3 is what drives the obsessed-for-espresso-perfection junkie to financial insanity. Java Man's advice at this point becomes paramount; if you're satisfied with what your equipment can produce, if you've never had a store bought espresso that you didn't like,then don't worry about the ramblings of a coffee lunatic. BUT, don't spend money on equipment if you haven't had a chance to taste the results first. If you like it, go for it and don't look back. Enjoy your freedom and your life.

I got into this a long time ago, over 30 years, and for me it's too late; I know too much. I spent 6000 on a machine for my home and still strive for better results (remember what I said about insanity).

For years, coffee had the influence of the stock market much like oil today. It is still a powerful force in the world. "What coffee brewer should I buy" is not a simple question to answer.

Go forth and achieve great bean juice!

Michaelp

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

I must admit that I hated the taste of espresso until I pulled an extraordinary shot out of my Vibiemme. All of my Gaggia shots, more or less, were thin and bitter. A proper shot is almost syrupy with a depth of flavor that isn't at all bitter.

A latte made from a thin, bitter shot cannot compare to one made from an exceptional espresso.

• TACHE
    16 years ago

I just replaced an Estro Vapori (the immediate predecessor of starbuck's barrista) that I'd had for fifteen years. I usually make one or two lattes a day. It had a few problems over that time but I just called starbucks and they talked me thru the minor repairs and both times sent me parts without charge even tho the warrentee had long run out. I got a Via Venetia for about $220 I think. I've had it maybe three weeks and it works fine.

The thing that makes this difficult is that people's taste in coffee is so indivual.If you were knowledable enough to pick your own beans from the best plant and roast them fresh every morning and grind them just the way you like them and get exactly right machine you could approach coffee nervana.
    You have to decide how much time,money and energy you want to put into this. I, personally don't like brewed coffee and my husband doesn't drink coffee. I don't often serve any esspresso drink to guests if we have more than one or two. But maybe I would if it were more convinient. So that's something to think about. I don't grind my own beans. I have it done when I buy it. I'm unwilling to make any avoidable noise in the morning and I hate the mess grinding coffee makes but you might not feel that way.

The thing that hasn't been discussed much here.......The best machine in the world isn't going to make good coffee out of poor coffee beans.

Good luck on finding the right one for you.

• kingatlas
    16 years ago

I have the Essenza Nespresso Automatic machine from William Sonoma. The Machine is fantastic. The Nespresso coffee is out of this world. DH and I use this machine about 4 times a day. Love it! I paid about $229.00 and $89.00 for the milk frother.

• java_man
    16 years ago

Kingatlas,

That's great! Enjoy!

Michaelp,

Great photos, and thanks for your very succinct and wise summary of the key points for espresso equipment buyers! I'm still resisting the siren call of the Synesso, convincing myself that a better grinder (I'm leaning towards a Cimbali Max) and a Behmor roaster are my more immediate priorities. I'll have to get one exceptional income year under my belt to be able to justify the Synesso. However, now there's a local retailer in town . . . making it all the harder to resist.

Cheers,

Java

• michaelmaxp
    16 years ago

Java,

i was in the coffee retail biz for 12 years. During that time the best was La Marzocco and the twin boilers. Temp instability was not yet addressed so even the great baristas only had about an 85% success factor of pulling perfect shots. The temp stabilization wall hadn't been scaled until after I got out of the business. At that point, I could not afford nor justify buying the Synesso but I did it anyway. I had to, because I knew too much and the barrier had been breached. I don't regret the purchase but it was non-the-less financial insanity to do it.

michaelp

• java_man
    16 years ago

There's hope for the less-well-heeled and those with influential/sensible spouses. ;)

Check out the temperature stable Vivaldi II by La Spaziale . . . it's no Synesso, but it's a sensibly priced step in that direction.

Java

• homepro01
    16 years ago

Thanks to the posts by Javaman several years ago, I started out with just wanting a coffee maker to owning a Vivaldi II. I have had "Betsy" for the last year and I can no longer drink coffee outside of my home. There are only a few places in town that make coffee correctly. I sample a large variety of beans from different places and still make a great espresso or americano.

Javaman,
    Step up to the dark side and get a Vivaldi! Did I mention the Macap stepless grinder and the Autotamper too? My savings account thanks you!! By the way, Betsy has an timer and she is Ferrari red:-)

Homepro01

• java_man
    16 years ago

Muaahahaahahahaha! The evil bean has triumphed! Now, you need a matching Behmor roaster to complement your setup . . . you'll never go back! ;)

Cheers,

Java

• homepro01
    16 years ago

No home roaster for me. The guys at the local coffee places are too cute so they make my weekend:-)

The Ferrari red is really great. I make my mocha lattes every morning in under 2 minutes!!!! Come to the dark side!

Homepro01

• java_man
    16 years ago

As much as I like Ferrari red, I'm sure DW would never go for it ... it would have to blend in with our colour scheme. But there are big advantages to the Vivaldi.

My next coffee-related purchase will be a Behmor -- my current roaster is 3.5 years old, and won't last much longer. It has saved me ~ $1200 on an initial investment of $120. At 1 lb per week, a $300 Behmor will pay for itself in less than a year. Anyway, what do I care about cute guys? ;)

Java

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Okay, reading all these posts has my mouth watering. I am looking into an espresso machine, but am very confused. The ones I have looked at all claim 15 bars of pressure - is this low? If this is the magic number, then tell me what the difference is between the $300 Krups machine and a $1500 DeLonghi (both with the same pressure).

I admit I haven;t checked the other recommended sites yet (that's next), but I am hoping for a quick lesson.

Thanks,

Nica

• fandlil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The extraordinary avalanche of replies to my query about espresso machines has been extremely helpful to me. I think you all for your thoughtful input. I know how to proceed: First, I will not roast my own beans, but will pay very close attention to the quality and freshness of the beans I buy. Second, I will acquire a good burr grinder. I'm convinced that my old blade clunker is not up to the task. Third, I will need to spend at least $350 for a good espresso machine, and probably more. So I am narrowing down the options on the table and, with the consent of my better half, will plunk down some serious cash in the hopes of making at home the kind of caffe latte, espresso and capuccino I enjoyed in Italy.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

let us know what you decide on . . . I bought a good burr grinder today and am now seriously in search of an espresso machine. My price limit is probably more like your low end, but I'll be interested in knowing what you decide and why.

Thanks,

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Nica

• michaelmaxp
    16 years ago

Just a reminder- don't buy a machine unless you have an opportunity to try it first. Find a place that offers demos and bring your own beans if you already have one you love; that way you'll know how the machine treats them. For instance, I have been using Espresso Vivace Vita for close to twenty years. It's always great for drip coffee but only espresso machines with very good heat can coax the remarkable caramel qualities out of the beans.

It's not only pressure but heat as well; and the more stable the heat (203 to 205ish degrees) throughout the entire brew cycle, the better.

Here's the formula:
    Fresh quality beans, freshly ground per drink order using a good grinder at the correct granularity for the method, proper loading and tamping, adequate pump pressure, and stable high heat- equals a nice shot of God's caffeinated nectar.

And then there is the technique of texturing perfect velvety soft milk to carry the precious nectar... but that's another story altogether.

michaelp

• mrblandings
    16 years ago

I'll throw in one more option for your consideration: a manual (aka lever) espresso machine. These come in two types: spring-loaded, where you use a lever to cock a spring and then let the spring do the work, or fully manual, where you use the lever itself to create the water pressure. My Gaggia Factory machine is the latter type, as is the La Pavoni Europiccola. Examples of spring-loaded machines include the Elektra Microcasa a Leva, and the Ponte Vecchio Export and Lusso machines.

First the downsides:

(1) learning curve. You will spend longer learning to use the machine than you will with an electric pump.

(2) Dinner party suitability. With my Gaggia Factory, I can only pull 3-4 shots in a row before the machine needs to be shut down and allowed to cool off. For dinner parties I make a pot of French Press. (The newer -- but more expensive -- Gaggia Achille model avoids this problem).

(3) Consistency. With a fully manual model, your arm will not be able to achieve the consistency of an electric pump. As a result, you will probably always see some minor variability in the result. This can be either a source of interest or annoyance depending on your perspective.

Now the upsides.

(1) size. The pump driven machines discussed above are 10-17 inches wide and can weight 30-80 lbs. As a a general rule, the machines get larger and heavier as you move from low end to high end. In a cafe or large kitchen that may not be an issue, but in a smaller kitchen you may want to give up that much counter space. By contrast, my Gaggia Factory lever machine is 7 inches wide at the base and weights about 10 lbs. I keep mine on the counter but it could easily be slid into an appliance garage or even moved into a cabinet when not in use.

(2) heating time. Despite manufacturers claims of fast heating, all of the better pump driven machines take at least 30-60 minutes to fully heat up to a stable temperature. As a result, most people either leave them on 24x7, or put them on timers so they're heated when they wake up. By contrast, my Gaggia Factory lever machine is ready to go from a cold start in less than 10 minutes.

(3) steaming wait time. Unless you spend $1000 or more on a heat-exchange or dual-boiler machine, you'll have to wait several minutes between pulling a shot and steaming milk. Lever machines let you steam immediately after pulling the shot.

(4) complexity. A pump machine is a complex machine, and requires a cleaning and maintenance regime to keep it in working order. A lever machine has far fewer parts, and the maintenance is much simpler. With minimal care, these machines can last many decades.

(5) cost. Pump machines start as low as $200 but prices rise quickly as quality improves. The pro-style machines (heat-exchange, E-61 group) start at over $1000. Lever machines range in price from about $600 to $1200, though used machines at much lower prices frequently turn up on ebay or craigslist (I paid $200 for mine). Right now, wholelattelove is currently selling the Factory for just over $400 until they run out (it is a discontinued model but most spare parts are interchangeable with the La Pavoni Europiccola which is still in production). Compare this to the Rancilio Silvia pump machine at $600 which takes up more room, takes longer to heat up, and makes you wait before it's ready to steam.

Lever machines are not for everyone, but depending on your needs and priorities, they may be worth considering. If you want to learn more, there are forums dedicated to lever machines at both home-barista.com and coffeegeek.com.

• fandlil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've decided to start with a very modest first step on my journey to coffee nirvana. I am buying an Aeropresse coffee maker and I am pairing it with a burr grinder that costs approximately $200. I know that will not enable me to make TRUE espresso, but it will be light years better than my old clunker. It will enable me to get a better feel for grinding coffee beans properly and for pushing water heated to the optimal temperature through the grinds at an optimal rate. I expect that I will be on a fairly rapid learning curve, and will then want to promote myself to a proper espresso maker. From its looks and reports, I have grown partial to the Silvia, but I may back off and get the Solis semi-automatic. On the other hand, if I get to like the feel of pushing water through coffee grinds to get a just-right brew, I may decide to go with one of the machines with a lever that requires just the right amount of elbow grease to produce the right outcome.

(The one and possibly only virtue of my old Krups is that it enables me to make coffee and froth mild for cappucino at the same time. I will not be able to do that with the Aeropresse and possibly not with most machines I've read about. This is an issue I'm still struggling with.)

I really appreciate all that I have learned from the participants in this thread, and I welcome further comment as I embark on this journey of discovery.

• mrblandings
    16 years ago

Starting with the grinder and an Aeropress is a very smart move. I keep an Aeropress at work for my mid-morning coffee break, and it does make excellent coffee -- though I don't think anyone would mistake it for espresso. However, while $200 will buy you an excellent general-purpose grinder , you may find that grinder to be the weak point in your setup if you eventually move on to an espresso machine. If you are confident that espresso is in your future, I would advise trying to squeeze a bit more out of the grinder budget and go for a Rancilio Rocky. Otherwise, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade the grinder in the future. (Of course there are certain advantages to having a dedicated espresso grinder and a separate multi-purpose grinder -- this is what I have -- but it's not the most cost-effective setup).

• zoomer316
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone, and thanks for looking at this to see if you can assist me. I have a basic DeLonghi espresso maker, and am pleased with it, but lately the coffee POURS into the beaker making weak coffee. Have any of you had this experience? Currently, I'm cutting off the brew early so it doesn't get too weak. I used to get a very slow drip drip drip when I very first started using it. It has not had a heavy work out--a cup or 2 a day for the last 2 years, but I have forgotten to turn it off 2x.

Might there be a way I can fix it myself? Would there be a gasket gone bad? Has anyone tried to do a home repair?

Thanks a million,
    zoomer

• john_com
    16 years ago

Try asking your question here...

• john_com
    16 years ago

Another link here