SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottacus_gw

One-Week Review of Jenn Air Pro Range (and Dishwasher)

scottacus
11 years ago

Since there hasn't been too much discussion of the newer Jenn-Air pro-style ranges here, I will offer my one-week review of the 30" all-gas range (JGRP430WP). While that's not too much time, it's enough for me to get a feel for most of the features of the range and its overall performance.

I did a lot of research on this range before I bought it. First, this series of "pro-style" ranges is essentially the upgraded, Jenn-Air version of the KitchenAid "commercial style" range series. The dual-fuel ranges are very similar, with the addition of a color touchscreen and slight styling differences. The Jenn-Air ranges are also offered in all-gas, while the KitchenAid ranges are not. Importantly, the pro-style series is the only range series not still built on the old, Maytag-era Jenn-Air design -- so reliability data for this series is more likely to be similar to KitchenAid than other Jenn-Air ranges.

First, one of the main reasons I purchased this range is its value. The list price is $3899, which is not much less than similar models. However, with a 10% pre-Black Friday discount, free dishwasher, and installation rebate, the effective price is much less (as long as you need a new dishwasher). In my case the effecitve price was less than $2500, which is very good for a range in this class.

Now, onto the experience. This is a very attractive range, with a mix of Viking/Wolf style and more modern looks. The fit and finish is overall very good, with heavy-duty construction, hefty knobs that turn very smoothly, oven door that opens/closes nicely, and nice burner grates. The only gripe I have is that there is a very small ding in one edge of the stainless steel around the glass control pad. It's barely noticeable, but it is there.

The touchscreen controls are less gimmicky than I thought. They're certainly much less confusing than many other electronic control ovens, and they are generally well executed. For example, when a cook timer goes off on the oven, a button appears to allow you to put the oven in keep warm mode with one touch. The glass is very sensitive like an iPhone (maybe even more so).

The burners perform well, boiling water quickly (4 quarts in I think about 7 minutes) and the simmer burner goes pretty low. I have had no issues with the igniters continuing to click after the gas lights. I notice that like Dacor, the flames directly under the grates are smaller to protect the grate finish. The black porcelain top cleans up easily.

I have been pleased with the oven, which is far better than the non-convection Frigidaire it is replacing (a range we disliked since we moved into our current home) and seems to be at least as good as the Viking 30" in our last home. Conventional and convection baking both are quite even with good temperature control. The electric convection element and 3 lights are nice touches. The only drawback to the oven is that a cooling fan runs whenever the oven is on (convention or not), presumably to protect the circruitry from overheating. It's not too loud, but it isn't whisper-quiet either.

Overall we are very happy with this range and think is is well worth the money.

The range also came with a free dishwasher (JDB8200AWP), which is a higher-end Whirlpool/KitchenAid dishwasher. It's typical of a Whirlpool Corp dishwasher (and I've had good results with them). Quiet and cleans well. I have been using the Finish tabs without issue.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH