SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Fireplace Flanking Built-in????

drjoann
14 years ago

DH spent last week in Greenville, SC meeting with our home designer F2F & talking to a half dozen builders to see who we want to bid on the house. I know that I will have tons of questions, so here is the first:

Are built-ins flanking the great room fireplace de rigueur or passé?

When we were working with our first architect, we kept penciling in fireplace built-ins and when the revisions came back, they would be missing. We finally asked him about it directly and he said that people didnÂt do built-ins on either side of the fireplace, anymore, and went with freestanding pieces of furniture. Well, we shrugged, figured we werenÂt "with it" and planned to use a display case that we already own on one side and find an upholstered bench with high rounded arms that could be used as additional seating for the other side.

Fast forward 1 year & we have a plan from our new designer with no built-ins since we didnÂt ask for them. However, every builder that DH met with wants to do built-ins. The consensus is that 80% of the homes they do in the range we are in have built-ins. To move forward, weÂve asked them to cost the built-ins as a separate line item while we make up our minds. BTW Â we have 5 feet on each side of a fireplace that projects into the room (itÂs on an interior wall).

WeÂre so confused. We donÂt really need the storage provided by built-ins (we wonÂt have a TV in the great room so we donÂt need a cabinet to hide electronic equipment), but we always thought that they gave a "polished" look to a space which will be used for entertaining.

Would appreciate some opinions. Thanks for the feedback  Jo Ann

P.S. Jay  just realized that I have a draft note to you that never got sent. Sorry. We just missed each other when DD & I were in the area.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH