SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwyn_hainsworth

layout help with long narrow living room

Gwyn Hainsworth
3 years ago

Our living room is typical of craftsman style houses of this time period. Long and narrow with fireplace flanked by built in bookcases. The room has been a challenge to figure out in terms of layout because there are 3 openings of the room (2 entries to a sun porch) and one to the main entrance/foyer. I have basically split it into 2 areas—a reading nook (which is my kids favorite spot as it is near a sunny window) and the main sitting area. We don’t have a family room so the TV has to go in this room as well as the kids instruments and music stands. I hate seeing the TV when you enter the house so moved it against the wall across from the fireplace. The chairs across from the couch are for mock up only,they usually are in the sun room.

My questions are do you agree with where the TV is now and rough layout of couch and chairs? Any suggestions for chairs that might work well with the coach? I am not a huge fan of swivel chairs but thought perhaps small ones might work well because then kids could swivel to see TV better. I need to replace the console for the TV and found one I really like at CB2 but it is the exact length of the TV? I know typically one should go longer than TV dimensions. Would it be really bad to buy a console the same length?

Also looking to replace lamp and side table by green chair in sitting area. I was thinking of a tall standing lamp instead. Any suggestions?

Also we are renting do stuck with the color of the. wall paint. Thank you!

Comments (24)