SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

New Puppy /Old Dog

Bethpen
14 years ago

I'm posting this here because you all gave bebetokids such great puppy advice recently.

My 10 year old Boxer Rocket has Degenerative Myelopathy and is getting old. His back legs don't work so great anymore, but his spirit is still great and he still gets around, albeit a little wobbly. He is balanced, sweet and happy.

In the search for the next dog for our family I found a French Bulldog pup way earlier than I expected to. He will be joining our family next week. He is 16 weeks old, has been raised with his mom, granny and uncles. He is fairly shy, but curious and bright. The bigger dogs have kept him in line at his home. We have two kids, boy 13 and girl 17.

Does anyone have suggestions to help with the transition? I've been reading a LOT of dog behavior books, tips online, etc. New Guy will have a crate that I will leave downstairs with us during the day, then move to our room at night. My plan is to make sure Rocket's life doesn't change too drastically. He'll still have his beds in the same places, protected from the pup unless we are supervising.

I really don't want to mess this up.

The next challenge will be introducing the pup to our weekend house in ski country. It's a 3.5 hour drive, and there will be more people and another dog for him to meet. I'm prepared to stay home next weekend if he is really overwhelmed at our house. I guess we have to take it one step at a time.

Any ideas or advice would be very greatly appreciated!

Beth P.

Comments (13)