SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

Installation of 36" Bosch induction in 36" cab or straddle?

sojay
10 years ago

My Bosch 36" induction unit will be installed in an island that has a 36" and an 18" unit. I still have some wiggle room with placement of the unit with respect to positioning of the hood. I'm trying to decide whether the cooktop should be centered on the island and therefore straddling both cabinets, or installed in the 36" cabinet to the right side of the island. There will be a 5" overhang to the right, so I'm not concerned about pot handles sticking out over the edge. I am more concerned about installation issues.

The manual clearly states not to drop the unit into the cutout without support below. The mounting brackets to be screwed into the countertop below would not have enough clearance on each side of the unit in a 36" cabinet, right? But if support brackets were screwed into the sides of the cabinets, that should work as well, no?

If I straddle two cabinets, there's the issue of air space, so the top of the cabinets where the sides are joined together would have to be notched down a little. My countertop is very thick, so it's very little (3/8") that the unit goes below the counter. Placed above the cabinets will be a 5/8" plywood covered by a metal strip, and on top goes the actual 2 1/4" countertop.

If I don't straddle the cabinets, I'd be keeping spices in the top drawers of the 18" cabinet (shallow interior drawers inside a two-drawer front), but if heat is an issue, I'd store utensils there instead.

Any suggestions, feedback, etc is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)