SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pensacolapi

Blank slate: Need help

Pensacola PI
6 years ago

Hopefully we can get some kitchen layout and design ideas from the creative genius here on Houzz dot com. Going to a kitchen designer is easy enough but we may just end up with a "canned kitchen" which is not what we want. Attached is a cut of the kitchen and details the size. There are two "wants or needs here". The better half would like her sink to look out over the back of the property so that is the ideal placement for the sink. Secondly, we would like to have 2 islands. One small island strictly for prep only and the second for dining. 90% of the time, it's just the 2 of us. However, that is not to say we would not end up entertaining and end up with 6 total for dinner.

The ceilings in through out the house are 10' to include the kitchen. I've looked at countless photos and then looked at various sites on designing and frankly, that is not my cup of tea. The current plan is going to be to go with an upper end RTA and most likely Conestoga, they seem very well received from what I've read not only here, but on many other web sites.

Thanks for taking a look and any input !

Comments (45)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don't know how important symmetry is to you and your better half, but here's a quick layout. Maybe an appliance garage in the corner would help balance the fact that the cooktop/hood are closer to the prep side of the kitchen.

The prep island is 30" deep, with extra deep cabinets. There's space to drop groceries on the island, to be loaded to the fridge and pantry, and landing space for the fridge is the island. There's a view to the back property from both prep and clean-up zones.

There's a dish hutch for easy unloading of the DW, and easy access for anyone setting the table.

I left the in-swing pantry door, but you could have a slider instead, if you like to keep the pantry open while prepping and cooking.

Are you considering stacked cabinets?

eta, another layout, which takes up some of the great room space, but has separate islands:

Hope others chime in with their ideas. Good luck!

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

Pensacola PI thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you very MG will have a good look after lots more coffee! Stacked cabs sounds about right.

• Related Discussions

Blank slate and new style...need HELP please!

Q

Comments (4)
    "I couldn't seem to figure out the 3d design tools...""3D?" I know not of what "tools" you speak. "I would like to edge the property line to the right with something soft instead of fence. I am not sure whether to go with privet hedges or possibly Rose of Sharon. " Common or variegated privet both grow very large. With them, you'd either be building in a hefty, ongoing maintenance chore, or allowing them to "eat up" a large portion of the yard. I don't now live where rose of sharon grows so am not up on any improvements that might have been made. Unless there are notable improvements, I can't imagine rose of sharon as a "best choice" for your hedge. It might make a better small tree. At what height are you expecting the hedge to be maintained? Dogwoods might work well for the larger trees in the picture, but the smaller trees near the house would be better made from plants that grow no taller than mid-teens feet height, such as common lilac or burning bush, for example.
    ...See More

Blank Slate Landscaping Help Needed

Q

Comments (4)
    If you now truly have a blank slate, you will need to be thinking beyond just perennials. Shrubs and even small trees form the bones of a garden and will offer that screening you desire in front of the open crawl space, as well as a year round presence. And as far as low maintenance is concerned, shrubs and trees, especially evergreen ones, tend to be on the low end of the maintenance scale while perennials are working their way up the scale. Most will need to be cut back or cleaned up at least annually as well as often needing staking or periodic dividing. Much fewer of those concerns with shrubs and trees. I'd suggest you try reposting this in either the Landscape Design forum or the Georgia Gardening forum ( for very local input) or both. And try to include a photo of the area in question as well as its aspect (facing north or on west side, etc.) and how much sun the area receives. Your request is just a little vague - the more specific or detailed your request, the more likely you are to generate some appropriate suggestions.
    ...See More

Need help with dining room in new home. Blank slate waiting for help.

Q

Comments (2)
    You are in "conversations." Will get much more feedback if you post in Home Decorating.
    ...See More

Blank slate needs help!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks, @celerygirl both on this post and the last! I like that! I don't know why, but I hadn't though of bringing the flower bed to the driveway on the side of the gutter. Sometimes, it's the simple things we overlook.
    ...See More
  • Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Should note, we've got 10' ceilings and prefer to have cabinets use the full height available. At least we can store seldom used items up higher.

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anyone else care to take a stab at a layout? I will say, MG did a great job!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Rotate the island in Option 1 so that the table attached to the island is in the actual breakfast area between the kitchen and family room. That works much better than the two island idea.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

I was trying to keep a view of the back yard for prep activity, but I think Linda Monier has a great idea. Here's a quick and dirty version, with prep facing the great room. I made the island a little longer so it can still serve as landing space for the fridge.

Pensacola PI thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! We still prefer two islands but could put them in a T shape. The great room won't be an issue, it's fairly large.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Are windows & doorways "finalized"?

If so, could you please post the dimensions of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances b/w each wall/window/door/doorway? (Even if approximate)

If not, how much flexibility do you have?

It doesn't have to be on graph paper, just add the labels to your current drawing.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Dimension Check...which is correct (if either)? Neither direction measures out to 18' and both are close to 15' -- when trying to scale the drawing based on the only full measurement included (5'4.5" for the future elevator).

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The drawings aren't dead on. I took my originals and made changes in Photoshop, the sizes are accurate. There will be an elevator installed when we build so no future elevator. We are revising our original plan thus the PS work.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

So, are you saying that the 15' x 18' label is incorrect and the Kitchen is really around 15' x 15'?

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The size of the kitchen I.e., 15 x 18 is accurate. The drawing does not accurately depict the correct dimensions. We've made the room deeper, originally it was 15' deep and your statement would be dead on. We needed more depth in the great room and carried that across the width of the house. The final drawings will be proportionately dead on.. Good catch !

• Buehl
    6 years ago

So, it sounds like "B" above has the correct set of dimensions, correct?

Does the Kitchen end at the "Slope" or at the french doors or the end of the wall with the future elevator? (I.e., where does the 15' "end"?)

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Correct with B. The ceilings will be vaulted throughout the entire rear of the home so no slope. We've got a little leeway as to where the kitchen will end. Just to the left of the elevator is a short hall to the foyer which is about 8' wide. The French doors will center on that opening.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Honestly? If you could please label your initial layout with the approximate measurements of each wall/window/door/doorway, it would be easier than having to calculate the sizes.

If the windows and doors are all flexible, then at least label what cannot be changed (e.g., where the Kitchen begins/ends with the measurements). You don't have to redo the picture, just label what you have and we can go from the labels.

[Cross posted!]

[Edited to add: Per above post, the 15' is flexible....but, that doesn't help with the other measurements, unfortunately.]

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

REVISED

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

REVISED

• bemocked
    6 years ago

...you will likely get more people to invest time / energy working on layout ideas for you if you make it as easy as possible for them to get started. Take your current diagram of where you intend to have walls, windows, and doors, and label it with measurements (as simply as sketching the dimensions on by hand).

Pensacola PI thanked bemocked
  • Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, I cleared up all of the clutter and added dimensions. The proportions are reasonably close. Dimensions for pantry added. Elevator shaft location is fixed and cannot be moved at all. The dashed line represents the end of the kitchen area. The dimensions of the 2 windows width wise are added. Hopefully this cleaner version is easier to work with. We have 2 musts: Kitchen sink must be placed in front of the two windows however, window location can be moved to the left or right. 2 islands, one small island with a sink for prep and a second island for dining. There will not be a kitchen table, personal preference.

Anything to the LEFT of the dashed line is the great room and out of bounds as it were. Using a portion of the pantry area for the refrigerator is something we do like as an option. Lastly, the ceilings are 10' and we plan to stack cabinets to make full use of the available height. Hopefully this makes it easier.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

PI, if I recall while you're both in excellent health and in good shape from prior posts, I also recall you're on the other side of the half century mark? Is my recall in my aging brain correct?

I ask because if that's true, I would seriously reconsider having just a counter height island for seating, unless you're both very tall too. I say that having watched my Mom, Dad and other relatives struggle to get on and off counter height seats. Hopefully it will never be a problem for you, but like the fact you're adding an elevator shaft "just in case", it might also be wise to think in terms of yourself and any visitors being able to climb up onto counter height seating.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Well, that's a bit different than what I came up with using your layout from last night (that has since been deleted). So, I'll use yours instead.

Regarding counter-height seating...I agree with CPArtist. My parents and my DH's parents really, really dislike our counter-height seating and refuse to sit there. We also have a table nearby, so they have options. However, if you don't have a table option, you may regret it later. (My parents and MIL are/were "average" height & my FIL was tall (6' something).) My mom did try once but found she could only sit there if there was a tall enough box under her feet so they could rest them on the box and not the foot bar on the chair. (She still prefers the table, by far.)

On the flip side, I recently had knee replacement surgery (due to an injury) and have found the counter-height seats easier to use since I don't have to lower/raise myself (i.e., bend my knee) so far -- but I cannot use the foot bar on the stool b/c my knee doesn't (yet) bend that far. I have long legs, though and if I sit slightly forward, my feet rest on the floor. I can't use bar-height, though, b/c it's painful dangling my legs since I cannot use the foot bar. Note: I think the only reason counter-height works well for me is that I have long legs.

However, I saw on another thread that you are adamant about no table and two islands, so I won't argue against it further -- you are well aware of the issues and are making an informed decision...but let us know if you change your mind!

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both and yes we will age in place here. Funny thing, our builder showed us an interesting option he is going for another couple. It's an island and connected to that is a table that almost looks like a booth at a restaurant. Hard to explain but going to text him to see if he can send me photo.

• Dianna
    6 years ago

Here is a pic of what we did in our small kitchen.

I thought I'd share this too since you were asking about counters. Ours are soapstone and really capture the cottage look.

Pensacola PI thanked Dianna
  • Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Dianna, great job !

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Appliances & Fixtures?

• Cooktop/Rangetop or Range? Size? 30", 36", other?
    • If Cooktop/Rangetop, one or two wall ovens?
    • If Range, another wall oven?
    • Refrigerator -- Counter-depth (~31"D) or Standard-depth (~36"D)
      Yes, recessing the refrigerator into the Pantry can make a standard-depth look counter-depth.
    • Microwave -- Preference for MW drawer, countertop, or built-in in a tall cabinet?
    • Dishwasher -- I assume 24" and only one
    • Sink -- minimum size? Single or double? (If double, I recommend at least 36" wide sink base)
    • Since one island is to be a "prep" island, I assume a sink in that island is OK
  • Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Range: 36" Induction - NO additional wall oven.

Refrigerator: Standard depth is fine. We will get something right about 28 cu ft size wise.

Microwave: It will be on a counter top or in an appliance garage. It will not be a built in.

Dishwasher will be a Bosch and yes, 24"

Sink: Double

Prep island: Yes, this will have a sink, most likely an 18" sink but no less than 16".

Option: We will still focus on the 2 islands for the time being with an option for a rectangular table OR the second island being considerably lower to allow for more of a standard seating arrangement. Right now, we are both very healthy but should something happen down the road we need to keep that in mind. So an option is desirable for the time being.

A BIG thank you.

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

CP, kind of liking that idea good looking out !

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Hey Pensacola! I'd suggest you and your spouse have a date night somewhere that there is 36" pub height seating. A sports bar, or music club somewhere. Spend at least two hours. Get up and get refills a couple of times. Go to the bathroom. Hunch together over a tablet screen to watch cat videos and relative's pictures on Facebook. All the things you'd do if you were hanging out at home. Extrapolate life like that.

I don't mind taller seating for a perch for a quick lunch bite while I'm cleaning house. Or to sit and have coffee in the morning. But to sit down and interact with the family, it's really kinda terrible. It discourages lingering. It simply is not comfortable to have your legs dangling for that long. Even if you have a rail for the feet to prop on, it is not comfortable for longer than about 30 minutes. And I'm nearly 6', with longer legs than the average woman.

BTW, a 36" induction range confines you to a Viking, and maybe Bosch, if they have completed theirs. One single 50 amp circuit that powers the top of the stove and the oven, whether that's a 30" or 36". The smart power management system has a cooktop at 50 amps, and a wall oven at 30-40 amps. You get more power, and better power management for your cooking processes by choosing that configuration. You also get much better ergonomics for universal design/aka aging in place, with wall ovens and a cooktop.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

FYI...most "pub" or bar seating is what's known as "bar-height", 6" higher than counter-height seating:

• Table-height -- 30" off the finished floor
    • Counter-height -- 36" off the finished floor
    • Bar-height -- 42" off the finished floor

Pensacola PI -- do you want counter-height or bar-height?

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am thinking to play it safe, counter height is the way to go here.

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

On the range, leaning towards the newest Bosch Induction that just came out within past say 6 months.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

For aging in place/ safety, consider separating the cooktop from the oven, and consider a side swing door (Bosch) that allows you to get closer to the item / not have to lift OVER a hit door, and you don't have to stoop to lift things UP from a range.

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks JC !

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@buehl - thanks to input above from @jannicone, we are opting to go with a separate Bosch Induction cooktop 36" and a separate Bosch wall oven @ 30".

Lastly, myself and the bride discussed the island height and confirmed we want to go with a 36" counter top height. Our current table in the kitchen is at 30" and far to low. Our island here is at 36" and perfect, we also have a bar height counter and too high so 36" counter height it is.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

OK....I already did a layout with a range - I'll post it, but work on one with cooktop + a single wall oven next.

Note that I will not be putting the wall oven under the counter b/c under counter ovens are worse than ovens in ranges -- they're much closer to the floor and if you're thinking of aging in place, you don't want one even lower!

Would you want the MW in the same oven cabinet? It could be a standard countertop MW in an alcove above the wall oven. Something like this:

• Buehl
    6 years ago

I'll hold off on the detailed analysis until I work up one with a cooktop & wall oven - not until tomorrow, though.

Quick Look:

• Perimeter counters, base cabinets, and upper cabinets are all 3" deeper than standard. 28.5"D counters, 27"D base cabs, and 15"D uppers. If you cannot get 27"D base cabinets, then pull the cabinets 3" out from the wall when they're installed.
      -- Sink run...gives you more space for the sink, faucet, and other fixtures and allows the upper cabinet to be 15"D and down to the counter without the loss of landing space in front of the Dish Hutch. Note that a Dish Hutch can be more of a traditional look, so if you don't like it, then the upper does not have to go down to the counter. (I'd still keep the deeper cabs & counter.)
      -- Range wall...helps make the Refrigerator look counter-depth. The refrigerator is also made to appear "built-in" by flanking it with finished end panels on the sides that are deep enough to cover the sides of the refrigerator and a full-depth cabinet above the refrigerator that's pulled out to line up with the front of the refrigerator carcass. The doors will still have to stick out past the counters & cabinets so they can be fully opened.
    • Trash pullout in main Prep Zone in island but close to Cooking Zone and Cleanup Zone as well as the Prep Zone b/w the range and main sink.
    • Pantry houses a large appliance garage along one wall with base cabinets below. The counter is 30" deep to allow for an 18"D appliance garage. If it doesn't need to be that deep, then you can reduce it. The base cabinets are also deeper, if possible - 28.5" or 27".
    • Dish storage is in a 36" Dish Hutch (I think it's become my "signature" along with a plate rack when the sink is against the wall!) It's close to the DW for ease of unloading as well as very close to the seating island for ease of setting the table!
    • The refrigerator is offset from the island so it's not blocking the island aisle and it's located so it's easily accessed from the Prep Zones, Cooking Zone, MW/Snack Center in the Pantry, the island seating, and the Great Room -- all without outsiders using the refrigerator getting underfoot of those prepping & cooking!
    • Since it's only the 2 of you 90% of the time, I put in a 42-inch aisle b/w the range counters and the island. The aisle will be a couple of inches narrower in front of the range. If two of you are working, there are two Prep Zones, so you won't be in conflict with each other.

Layout #1 -- Range and Table-style Island with seating for 6:

Layout #1 Zone Map:

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@bushl a BIG thank you. I need a few cups f coffee and a bit of time to wake up and digest this, great detailed work. As an FYI on cabinets, the current plan is most likely Conestoga. Quality seems good and they've got one color that's perfect for us.

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just an update, the bride and I studied the layout and we really like it. Tremendous job ! When you have an opportunity would you make one slight change please? We are going with a separate 30" wall oven and a 36" induction cooktop stand alone. With that one change its ideal.

Any thoughts on specific sinks for main sink and prep sink? We selected a nice faucet for main sink, should one for prep sink match? Prep sink 18" ?

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Just finishing it up! I'll be posting it in a few minutes (multi-tasking b/c making dinner and working on your layout!)

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL thank you, by all means focus on your family please !

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just saw microwave comment. We almost prefer original placement really. With built ins etc or cabinets your tied to a set size so it looks right. With appliance garage we can make it fairly wide and about any size would fit in and be hidden.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Here's the layout. However, I did put the MW in the oven cabinet, but it can be moved to the appliance garage if you prefer.

I also tweaked the window and the upper cabinets so there was the same amount of space on each side of the window and so the DW and sink are centered on the window.

In Layout #1, the window is 69" wide + 3" trim on each side = 75". The sink is right-aligned with the window.

In Layout #2, the window is 66" wide + 3" of trim on each side = 72". If you'd like, you could always make the window even wider...maybe another 6" or so; that's what I'd probably do -- I like big windows!

The window is counter-height, btw, to maximize view and to increase the feeling of "openness" and "airiness".

Oven & MW...landing space is across on the island. This is not a busy aisle, so it should be fine. I didn't want to move the refrigerator to that location b/c then the prep island would be a barrier to b/w both of the Prep Zones and Refrigerator. The refrigerator is used more than the ovens, so it makes the most sense to have it in the better location -- as long as the ovens are not in a dangerous are (i.e., major traffic or narrow aisles).

Layout #2:

Layout #2 Zone Map:

Layout #3...has the corner voided. With the change to a cooktop, the corner susan is no longer needed for pots & pans. By voiding the corner, you add 9" to the drawer space you have available on each side of the corner. You only gain 9" b/c you need 3" of filler on each side of the corner to ensure the doors/drawers can open on each side of the corner without hitting the doors/drawers and hardware on the other side of the corner. (If you had a range right next to the corner, you'd need even more filler!) The Zone Map for this layout is the same as Layout #2's.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Layout #4 -- moved the MW back into the Pantry. If you have any interest in a steam oven or a speed oven, consider putting in plumbing (for steam) and an outlet just in case! One of those could be installed above the wall oven in the oven cabinet. Again, the Zone Map is the same as that of Layout #2.

• Pensacola PI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, we are speech less! The words thank you cannot even come remotely close to convey our appreciation for your efforts. We will study this for a few days to take it all in. To say you do amazing work would be an understatement. We will surely read this many times. We're coming from a typical spec house rental with a typical spec kitchen. So this is a heck of an upgrade and like nothing we've had before