SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Thoughts on getting in to "farmer's market" setup?

party_music50
11 years ago

Hello all -- I have visited this forum a lot for many years, so I know that many of you are very knowledgeable about these vendor-type setups. I'm hoping you can help me put this idea in the proper perspective (i.e., tell me I'm nuts! :)

There is a horse stable/farm about 3 miles from here that started holding a "market" on Saturdays from spring through autumn last year. It was a small informal setup and most sellers had tables, tents, and chairs -- some of which may have been provided by the host. There were Amish girls selling baked goods, a young guy selling vegetables, a young guy selling eggs and jams -- then there were several other unmanned tables where there were jams, syrups, baked goods, knick-knack/old stuff like books, frames, decorative items, etc. -- I suspect these tables belonged to the owner/host.

Last July the owner asked me to come and sell my handwoven baskets there. She said she'd try to help provide me a table/etc, but wasn't sure she had anything left... she said I could even just drop off my stuff and someone there would watch it for me (like her unmanned tables, I guess). She only asks $10/day and ONLY if I sell something! her goal is to just get something established, and she does all the advertising. I did scope it out once, but had too many other commitments to even think about doing it last summer.

That sounds like a terrific opportunity, right?! But what about the expense, time, and hassle of what I need to lug things there and set it up every Saturday? owning, carrying, and setting up a table, chair, and tent are WAY beyond anything I could attempt by myself (I'm a small person). And handwoven baskets are something that many people love, but few are willing to pay a reasonable price for them. If I were to sell only one small basket for $10, I would net $0 for the hassle for the day, and I'm a person whose time is very important to them. FWIW, I am an award-winning basket weaver and instructor, and my handwoven baskets are top notch! I also do custom weaving.

She emailed me yesterday to ask if I would be interested in doing it this year. I am interested, but am I nuts?! I also asked her about the possibility of me selling plants (like heirloom tomatoes) and even gluten-free baked goods, but she hasn't answered yet. I don't have a "business" and she never asked me about that!

PLEASE give me your thoughts on this -- it sounds like fun to me now, but that could be because I'm looking out the window at a snowstorm. lol! Maybe it would be nothing but an expensive time-consuming headache! :p

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations