SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Help! -- Still in a muddle about all appliances

plllog
16 years ago

So today I went to three top appliance stores (the kind with the large Cornu range on the floor) trying to see things in person. Not much luck, really. So I'm still in a big muddle, and I really feel like I need to really know what I'm getting before I do too specific a design. I thought after all this time reading through GW and reading all the catalogs and users manuals online that it would just be a matter of checking the actual, physical feel of the things, but that depends on the stores having them! And more than anything, I get the feeling that all the floor models I was looking at were out of date. They don't match what's online and in the brochures. ACK!!!!

My list:

Refrigerator: 36" Sub Zero all fridge (probably not the integrated one because it doesn't open all the way).

Freezer: They say the top freezers can maintain the temperature in the cold box without icing up but no one can explain the physics of it. Maybe keep my old 30" freezer. Maybe get the Sub Zero or Gaggenau built in. Don't really know any more about them then when I set out because they're mostly not in the showrooms.

Maybe an icemaker and maybe a beverage fridge. Maybe not. I'm not so concerned with those just now.

Induction: Diva 3 hob, (or Gaggenau 2 + wok?)

Gas: Wolf (or Gaggenau?) 2 burner drop in.

Would like but probably won't give room to: Grill or teppan yaki.

Hood: Clueless but want something easy to clean, quiet and good.

Ovens: Gagganau Steam/Convection duo, the new 30". Maybe. I love the idea of the steam oven, but am not sure about the size of the cavity. I know I want at least the large convection (I'd be willing to get the 27" but they're selling off their floor models now, and I don't think there will be any when I'm ready to buy)

Advantium (regular, not OTR), on the basis of what's been said here. One salesclerk said she thought the reason they say don't mount under counter height is so people won't try to put them under cooktops.

Dishwasher: Something American so I don't need rinse aid and can use Seventh Generation powder, which I'm not allergic to. I saw a Monogram and an Electrolux with nice racks. I didn't like the racks on the Kitchen Aids I've seen, but then a salesman said that they were different in the top model, which apparently no one has.

Ideas? Recommendations? Comments? Criticisms? What do you think?

Comments (14)