SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbkidd_gw

Are People Getting Tired of Crafting

jbkidd
18 years ago

I have done crafts for years, but lately I have lost interest in doing any kind of craft.

I have also found in the past couple of years the Xmas Craft shows I had, people didn't seem to be interested in buying.

Maybe, we need new fresh ideas, but I don't know what.

Does anyone feel the same way I do??

Comments (54)

• pattico_gw
    18 years ago

The Country Look is gone...we still have a country look but it doesn't have all that country crafting stuff in it anymore....The Goodwills are full of that wood stuff...

I for one was sorry to see it go...I think that was the warmest , most comforting and welcoming look we have ever had...I hate the sleek cold lines they are pushing on us...for me...I'll just do what I like...I don't have all the clutter but I still have the antiques and the doilies...and a comfortable look.

I sold crafts for 22 years...and I got tired of the same old thing...I still do crafts for myself and friends...but I won't be selling it anymore...It got to be too much competion. All trying to sell the same things...

patti

• toomuchglass
    18 years ago

I'm so burnt out - I couldn't make a popsicle stick man if I tried ! I'm on a 'vacation' from doing anything crafty.
    I'm hoping that maybe one night when I can't sleep - I'll come up with that Million Dollar Idea ! LOL

• Related Discussions

I'm getting tired of my daylilies now

Q

Comments (50)
    Thanks crunchpa, I'm laughing because the only daylily I have is Hyperion. It never occurred to me how they would look in mass like that. I have one lonely one that I just moved that I'm waiting for it to get a little bigger. My garden is pretty much full and not a lot of space left, so I'm not dividing a lot except I'm hoping to divide a lot of shade plants, ferns, heucheras, and epimedium in the fall for a few areas that need a bit more. I also try to plant enough to keep the weeds down, but my garden is so dry from so many surrounding trees that it makes a big difference to have mulch down. Yesterday in my travels, I thought of this thread as I passed gas stations and supermarket parking lots with daylilies of the ditch variety with ugly orange blooms sticking out of yellow ugly foliage. AWFUL! Definitely not the well cared for, hybrid varieties that I'm sure are in many of your gardens. And a single row of daylilies with nothing else, all the same color, along the front of a pretty wall, hiding most of the wall along about a 300 ft span in front of a new housing unit.
    ...See More

Do you get tired of constantly defending your ideas?

Q

Comments (16)
    Jenk  as owner builders doing lots of new building science in an area famous for not changing... yeah, we had a lot of resistance from various subs. We found it helped to do two things. First - try not to see their questions as criticism or the sub not wanting to do it your way, but that they just may have not heard about the way you want it done. (even with the subs who really just donÂt want to do it a new way, it helps YOUR state of mind). Put it to them in those terms  "I know itÂs new to this area" (thus they are not expected to know about it) "but weÂre really set on doing it this way for these reasons." And while you may not feel like you should have to explain your reasons, you will get better work if they feel like part of the process. Trades people are not all stubborn mules against learning something new. Second  know what you are talking about  if you are vague nobody is going to take you or your ideas seriously. Graphics and visual aids are helpful if itÂs really new. When we discussed our plans to insulate our crawlspace walls (virtually unheard of in this county/state), we showed the people involved the drawings and research on the method. It took some arm twisting to get the county inspectors behind the idea but between the printed sheets and calm discussions they approved the finished work. Our HVAC people loved the idea and now they recommend it to other people. They hadnÂt heard of it before our house, but we presented in a way that they felt they didnÂt need to defend their experience. Even in the "just how you want it" stuff itÂs not always a matter of Âmy-way-itisÂ. We did two walk throughs with our electrician before he would string one wire. On both trips he would ask us, Âwhy do want this here? and Âhow about having that there?Â. This wasnÂt to discourage us from what we wanted, but to find out what our reasons were so he could make suggestions. He had wired enough houses to know what people tend to regret later, and he made some great suggestions that we went with. The stuff I was sure of I had reasons for and it didnÂt bother me to explain them to him. I hope this helps, and good luck!
    ...See More

Do other people's crafts pressure you ?

Q

Comments (14)
    I think over 50+ years of crafting I have dabbled in just about everything. I have 5 sisters and 1 brother and all have done crafts of some sort all inspired by Mom who at 93 years of age is still making angel ornaments for the family - this year she did those flat beaded ones. They are not as precise as they were years ago but they are loved by all who got one. At one time I had my entire basement devoted to crafts and craft projects and did the craft shows - also had a successful doll clothes business till I lost my husband to cancer and pretty much retreated from the world and got rid of alot of stuff including about 15years of craft magazines. Now I am back to crafting again and encouraging the younger family members to get involved. I am in the process of setting up a room devoted to crafting. I have come full circle and loving it - just wish my Micheals was a little closer but it does save on the pocket book although I have discovered the fun of online shopping - lol ...... Lynne
    ...See More

Getting Tired of Lazy Step-Daughter

Q

Comments (55)
    Seems like your step daughter does more than mine. Mine just attends school. My wife has a co-parenting situation where the child goes back and forth between homes. But her daughter left the biological dad’s place permanently after she turned 18 because she hates her step-mom. So she moved in with us permanently. We taught her how to drive and bought her a 16 thousand dollar car so she can drive herself to college. She’s 21 now and a junior in college but she doesn’t do much around the house. Free food. Free housing. She only takes care of her room, bathroom and takes out the kitchen trash. She doesn’t cook because she doesn’t want to. She doesn’t do dishes and leaves her dishes for me or her mom to do. On her free time she just watches tv and hangs out with her friends eating expensive food that her mom gives allowances for. So many other things I probably forgot to list it all. I feel bad for my wife because she does everything for her. I’m pretty nice and always lets it slide but at times it makes me frustrated. However to keep peace in the home I never say anything to my step daughter. I’m hoping one day she realizes how much we do for her and not take advantage of our kindness. Im not sure either because ive heard her say its the adults who have to mak sacrafices. but she is an ault herself. she has voiced that she is living with us forever. i hope not. I hope she finds a good partner or a rich husband because she has voiced that she does not want to work. Why waste money gojng to college then? And yes we pay for some of her college tuition. Because her dad will not eventhough he’s supposedly rich for the gram. she says her dad is struggling because he has 2 more little babies with the new wife to take care of. But just because he chose to have another life doesnt mean he throws out his other kid like trash for someone else to pick up.
    ...See More
  • jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's funny how everyone feels the same way at this particular time.

I have friends that used to do crafts all the time and went to every craft show they could find, but not anymore. Maybe it is a certain age group.

• CandyWA
    18 years ago

That dreamy 'million dollar idea' would be completely wasted on me. These days I'd just roll over and hold it :)

it's definitely a 'certain age group' thing in my personal situation... but I'm not so sure for others because for all those years I was into making and selling crafts, there were a gazillion older women doing it right along with me. Their age didn't seem to impair their ability to create.

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My problem is too that now I look at some of these crafts that people make and think of them as just more "Junk" around the house. I don't look at crafts the same way as I used to.

• FlamingO in AR
    18 years ago

I used to craft for a (measly) living. I can't count how many dolls, angels, Santas, scarecrows, etc that I made in the 90's. Hundreds, no probably more like a thousand, I did it day in and day out. How many dolls do I have in my house? Not a single one, I never did and I don't think I ever will, with the lone exception of Nectarine, the KT mascot doll I made about 3 or 4 years ago. She's been traveling around the country, Canada, Bermuda, NZ and Germany. That is one doll I'll keep, once she makes it home.

My point though- like Pattico, I burned out on making them, but the market dried up on dolls about 1 year after I stopped making them. For a while, new patterns came out twice a year, tons of them, and really cute, intricate dolls, dolls that had their own dolls! They got harder and more time consuming to make until I was losing money, practically, making them. I certainly wasn't making any! lol I spent more time looking for all the little doo-dahs they were supposed to be holding or making the little bit and pieces, and that adds up. Yes, it made the dolls special, but give me a break! Some of things were loaded with stuff. As dolls were dying out, stitcheries were getting real popular. And primitives.

I used to go to all the craft shows to see what was selling. I got sick of doing that, too! I just don't want the stuff anymore, I don't want to make it and I don't want to dust it. All I do anymore is the occasional special gift for someone, or paint something seasonal for the porch. Or practical things, like bags to hold grocery bags, bookcovers, et. I've been going thru all my crafting stuff and slowly buy surely, getting rid of lots of it.

• idahodaisy
    18 years ago

I have been burned out on crafts for the past year. I think it is because it is so boreing doing them by my self. I am makeing humming bird feeders right now out of wine bottles have not finished one yet. I need some one to kick me in the rear to get me going LOL

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is interesting how everyone got burned out on crafting at the same time.

This past Xmas I never went to one craft show, just could not be bothered.

• granny2ricky
    18 years ago

I'm glad to see you all have the same problem! I thought it was just me....I love to come here to see what everyone is doing, but have no time to do anything myself anymore....and then if I do what would I do with it??? I used to do craft shows too but things just stopped selling and I hate to go through all of that agin. I used to do really well in the beginning with my sales. I think too the competition is huge these days. I love what everyone is doing here though and am so glad someone is keeping it going here.

• skypathway
    18 years ago

Just visiting from the decorating forum. I used to craft, had a business doing custom work about 20 years ago when I was a SAHM. I think like all businesses, styles change and the successful business person keeps up with the changes and develops a new approach and new products. Now the problem here is that most of you probably enjoyed the type of cute crafty country items that were popular and you might not enjoy making what people want now. I also think that styles have simplified, been decluttered as mentioned in other posts, and become more formal. This means that crafts have to follow to fit in. I think that people still want handcrafted items, just more finished sophisticated manner - more art and less craft. For example, I used to do a lot of country Scherenschnitte (craft if paper cutting)- which I think could easily translate into more modern patterns such as leaves or Japanese kanji (Japanese characters for writing). In addition, the market place has migrated away from those country craft fairs to places like eBay. The buyers are there, but the crafters have to adapt. This should be a great place for crafters to help each other determine what the market is looking for and to assist each other with new patterns and new sources for markets. JMO.

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wonder if places like "Michaels" is also adapting to the change in crafting. They should take the lead with more updated ideas in crafting.

• msblue
    18 years ago

This is such an interesting thread. I have done shows for years also and have stopped, because of all the hours crafting and then hauling it and setting up a display only to have poor sales and then hauling it all out again. I have been working with a church group for a few years and we work all year making items for a one day sale. We do very well, but with the sign of the times are trying to change the look this year and make it more interesting and different. We have decided to do more perserves and pickles and bread mixes combined with towels, potholders or whatever would make a nice combination, maybe in a little basket etc. We will still do the usual snowmen, santa's floral arrangements, just not as many.
    I feel its the Baby Boomers getting ready for there "empty nests" and are pareing down. They may want a little gift but not "Stuff".

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

what is the status of Nectarine anyway? I don't want to ask on KT

• bunniemae
    18 years ago

I think skypathway is pretty much right, the trends have just changed. I tend to visit 'Crafster' now, instead of some of the more country crafts sites. Many of the posters there are younger, but then others (like me) aren't quite so young! If you want to check out some cutting edge and current stuff go to http://www.craftster.org/

It seems that a lot of younger people are getting into crafts and changing them to fit their taste. The site seems to to be super popular, even if some of the crafts are a bit 'edgy.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftster

• evelyn_craftdiva
    18 years ago

I guess I'm in the minority. I still craft and don't see myself stopping any time soon. Craft shows have been a thing of my way past because I just never sold well at them and like msblue the setup and take down just got to be too much. I have since found my niche and sell in a store that has many other vendors and I just love it cause I don't have to be there every day, just go once a week to check out my booth. Now I in no way make a living at this and still hold down a regular job which supports me, it's more or less a hobby and I love it.

• honeysuckleridge
    18 years ago

I agree crafts are like fashion they come and go...and a good business person can move with the flow. I moved into the Primitive/Farmhouse looks 15 years ago when it was it's beginning stages...it has also begun to fade but still strong and even New in certain areas of the country.

I think you can't think of it as "Crafting" any longer..it has to be thought of as Creating and Handcrafting. I have since gone into the Jewelry making business and can't make it fast enough and I'm behind the times in that category by 3 or 4 years.

Your crafting stores are keeping up for the most part...it's all there, just start looking at different areas and ideas. Pick up Home Decor and Clothing Magazines get a feel for whats coming down the line.

It's not crafting your tired of, it's the same Ole Crafting your tired of...I'm sorry I could never be tired of creating. I'd really go off the deep end!!

good luck,
    ginger

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We used to have a store where I live called "Crafters", they would rent out spaces to craft people. But that too has closed down in the past year do do lack of interest in crafts.

• honeysuckleridge
    18 years ago

oops meant to say...our Creative Television Programing has also failed and abandoned those of us who need to be inspired and motivated to try something new. They forgot about us completely, even though we are the ones who made them what they are...

Oh and don't get me started on the cheap imports that's another soap box!!

ginger

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

I think this day and time your craft has to be consumable. A lot of folks are doing the cooking mixes, candles, and I think even sewing. A kid is going to outgrow the clothes. Last year I did the fuzzy flip flops and they sold well. I think that's consumable too. Kids feet grow, etc. I too don't want anything else to collect dust.
    This past weekend I went to an indoor Spring show, I bought yard art, food mixes, sometype of speciality jewelery beads, & a unique cross pin. I would have bought some cool drift wood stuff if I had been in the truck. It was the most creative thing I've seen in years. Pieces of drift wood turned into water fountains with live plants, etc. Some of them had old rusted barb wire and plow hooks on them for decoration.
    This was a good thread.
    Susan

• sweets98
    18 years ago

I craft nearly every day but for my own benefit! LOL I have been making items for years to fill our home. I take a lot of others trash and make it a treasure for us.

I LOVE the primitive country style, not the cutesy stuff and love antiques! It was different a few years ago but I've matured a little and a lot of that stuff has went in the garbage or to someone elses home.

I know the trend is the modern look, less clutter and what not but not EVERY American is turning that way. There are still people out there decorating in Victorian , Shabby Chic, Primitive and all other types of country. Just because a HUGE chunk of the population wants to get their decorating ideas from what's "in" doesn't mean that the rest of us do! I could care less about what's in!

It does depend on the area you are in. Where I live most people my age are into country, not the cold modern look. I honestly notice that at the few craft shows that I go to every year that most of the stuff going out of there are wood hand crafted items. The other stuff sits and I know I totally pass over those booths. I don't want gag gifts or doll clothing or jewelry but again, that's me!

I know it seems that the likely source of the problem is Wal-Mart of the Dollar stores or anyone else that sells 'Made in China' stuff but that stuff isn't the same. Anyone in their right mind can tell there is a differnce. I cannot find the stuff I like at Wal-Mart. That's why nearly every time I want new curtains and such, I have to make my own! I cover my own pillows and sew many other items because I either have to pay an arm and a leg through some catalog or use something that doesn't really work with my home. Decorative items, I may find something that works but once I get home, I'm repainting it to make it what I REALLY want! Like two weeks ago I bought a teddy bear potty chair from Collections, Etc for DD. It came and within minutes I was already priming and repainting. I liked the design, just not the cheap paint job!

Things will change. They always do. Give it time and crafty stuff will be back "in". I wouldn't give up just because others are. And maybe you don't feel like crafting right now just because you are burnt out. I have had moments like that but I do something else for a bit and then I get back into it later on. Maybe try something new? It's always fun learning a new craft!

• craftymeca
    18 years ago

Good Morning, Just come back from a month of R&R and found this interesting post. I want to say I agree with the comments made by both Skypathway and Sweets98.

I also want to disagree with comments made such as baby boomers paring down and Michaels need to be the ones to inspire.

MHO is that if you are waiting for Michaels, you are missing the boat and relying on some else to tell and show you what to do. What about your own creativity?In some cases by the time it is shown on televion show these crafts are already bottoming out.

I have been at this since my children were in grade school and I am now a grandmother. So I have loads of experience in selling and crafting. I am happy to say I have been very successful at it because like many others I use my own skills and immagination and so not rely on Michaels to tell me what I should be doing. FOr many years I sold quilted items mainly baby related from bibs to Quilts. In the past 7 years I tried my hand at snowmen even designing some that were very lucrative because they were original and stood out.So I now can say hats off to all those wonderful designers that put out patterns consistantly because I found "it ain't easy" being a good designer.lol

I believe the reason I have been so successful is that I am constantly researching and reading up on craft trends and how that applies to the snowmen and santas I make. Rather than being a "Jack of all Trades, and Master of None", I prefer to do only a couple of crafts and do them the best I can. It takes work keeping up on the top of your game.If you want to make money you have to really work at it these days, as there is more competition and buyers are more diserning and tastes change.You cannot continue to make what you did 5 years ago and expect the same volume in your sales.

At the present I am starting to slow down in my craft sales and doing fewer but can't imagine giving it up "cold turkey". So I am right in there giving the young ones a lot of competition because "I am older, wiser and have a lot of experience",and like to think after 28 years I know what I am doing. lol.

What a great topic, perhaps we might get more like these to keep our creative juices flowing.

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess what I have been reading is that the ones that are still into crafts are mostly doing it just for themselves or as gifts for others.

I haven't read much about anyone making any money out of crafting anymore because of lack of interest with people buying.

• skypathway
    18 years ago

Honeysuckleridge, you make an excellent point - it's about creating and handcrafting. That is such a smart way of looking at it.

jbkidd, since I went back to work I have limited time so I don't craft to sell. However people still do it, you have to know your market - what do people want to buy and know how to reach them? If I was still selling crafts, I would not be making the welcome bonnets and wooden stencilled refrigerator magnets etc. that I used to make. For some people it may be that they just aren't interested in making what sells - for example Honeysuckleridge's jewelry.

I was surprised, someone has a website selling bibs for adults that she sews - a smart idea. Great for if you have an elderly parent or impaired adult - or if you are going out and don't want to ruin your suit with an accident. I'm sure there are tons of great ideas - but they are different maybe than what some people are used to doing.

I know that I came here to see if I could get any fresh ideas to spark new projects.

• PRO
    Adella Bedella
    18 years ago

Along the idea of adult bibs, I think adult items for people in nursing homes would sell well in certain markets. We had a heck of a time finding things for fil to carry his stuff in his wheelchair. Some that could hang on the edge and had pockets would have been great. Fil drinks a lot of coffee. We couldn't find a drink holder for his cup that would work. I think we finally got a travel coffee mug and gut part of the handle off so it would hang.

• craftymeca
    18 years ago

adellabedella, when I was selling a lot of baby items the larger bibs were bought for seniors as a matter of fact on a couple of occassions. It was suggested to me it might be something to follow up on. I did not do so, but it certainly would be worth someones time if they wanted to approach some of the nursing homes and such.

At one craft sale where I was a vendor I won a different type of bib as a door prize. It was a very nice plain silver satin bib that came in its own little pouch. This was meant for dining out if you were wearing something very special.I had never thought of this or seen this anywhere before. But I no longer have to attend splashy functins where this would be required. However, I did have to give kudos for someone for thinking of this .

• evelyn_craftdiva
    18 years ago

Jbkidd, I sold at Crafters for ten years and was devastated when they closed down. I thought that my crafting days were over and that IÂd never find a new venue, but then about a month after they closed their last store I found another company thatÂs set up similarly but they also include sellers that import stuff, which Crafters did in the end too. I sell even better now than I did at Crafters and I think that itÂs because what I sell is unique and most of whatÂs out there doesnÂt come close.
    Susan(Loganhogan), I think it also depends on where you try to sell your "crafts". IÂm in Canada and tried to sell the fuzzy flips, which donÂt really go with the products I sell but I wanted to try something different, and they didnÂt sell well at all. Sometimes it really does pay to stay with something tried and true.
    Honeysuckle, I agree with you and that itÂs the creative aspect of crafting that I donÂt think I could do without.

• FlamingO in AR
    18 years ago

Minnie, you chicken! ;) Nectarine is on her way home from Germany, she should be about 10 days into her 14-28 day journey. I'm excited to see her. I just made her some bunny slippers and I'm about to make her a kimono using scraps from authentic vintage kimono. My friend sells them, and gave me some pieces.

One other thing I make occasionally are wine box covers, for people who buy box wine but don't want to look at the ugly boxes. I've sold quite a few of them.

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Flamingo, those wine box covers sound interesting.

Could you post a pictue??

• sharoncrafts
    18 years ago

I would like to try Swedish Weaving

• bunniemae
    18 years ago

This thread really got me interested and I have been looking around at what others are making and selling on the web. The variety is quite amazing. A lot of the crafts at the etsy.com marketingplace look "consumable" like loganhogan was talking about, and I sort of wonder if a lot of folks are now selling and buying online instead of at craft fairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.etsy.com/

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

I'm glad that Nectarine is finally on her way home. No fuss here about it haha.She should have been back ages ago as far as I'm concerned.

• neetsiepie
    18 years ago

In my area it's because of burnout. There are waaay too many craft shows, craft malls and Saturday Market venues. Every single outdoor event has crafters, and most of them are also allowing commercial products in (they make money off the booth space rental so they don't care who rents the space).

The quality is key also. I mean, there is a certain distinction between someone who 'crafts' and one who creates a crafted item. Too many of the same thing diluting the pool and buyers get sick of seeing them so they stay away from the shows and those with unique items get passed over.

I try now to only sell at juried events, that way I know that I won't be selling my products next to Cookie Lee jewelry or next to some who is making scroll saw clocks (no offense, but they're a dime a dozen!).

Those who want to make a living doing this must have an edge on the competition...needs to be a fresh idea and NOT something you see at Michaels. Those crafts are OLD already.

Yard and Garden things are big in our area. Anything to do with birds is also. Completely out are tole painting, painted furniture, scroll saw ANYTHING, most metal cut outs (made from patterns not original designs)...frankly ANYTHING made from a pattern any more. It's all about what is most unique and unusual.

• jbkidd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think you are right one, crafting now has to be unique.

Might not be long before Michaels runs out of ideas too.

• CandyWA
    18 years ago

Pesky, I think you're right. I hadn't really thought about that before.

Years ago my friends and I anticipated the Harvest Festival for months in advance. We never missed it. Craft fairs were all scheduled around Thanksgiving and Christmas so we looked forward to them every year. It was so much fun to go see all of the new ideas.

Now craft fairs are year 'round, craft malls are open daily, stores everywhere cater to the craft lover, and the internet (my personal favorite) is filled with the latest ideas complete with pictures and how-to instructions.

I guess too much of a good thing... ceases to be good.

• glassbender
    18 years ago

The Harvest Festival! I too loved that one. Does it still exist? The internet is such a lazy way to scout out the latest ideas. I no longer keep track of craft fair schedules.

Got to agree, too much of a good thing kills the anticipation and fun.

• Tnflower_lover
    18 years ago

Have not lost interest, but with a change @ work have not had time to do anything. And I am kind of at a "what to make next" I am more of a follower, not a leader. Love working with(small) wood projects, painting, decopudge (most anything) Give me some ideas.
    PS also have plenty of scrap stain glass from a friend.
    Cara

• sweets98
    18 years ago

I think there is something else we're not thinking about...a lot of people may be giving up on craft shows because shows like that take a lot of time and work and money to get ready for. It's a lot easier for most people to make items as they go and put them on ebay and sell one or a couple things at at time instead of preparing for a show! I mean, look, you don't have pack everything in your car, leave your home, set up the booth, deal with customers all day and then pack up and return home!

Another forum I belong to has a huge number of members that all have their own websites, too and sell from there. I think they all do really well that way.

Times are changing so maybe it's not that crafting isn't "in" anymore, but that craft shows and other traditional ways of selling in the past are.

• williamsburgjane
    18 years ago

Flamingo, Glad to hear Nectrine is on her way home! I had wondered about her too but didn't want to stir up any thing again! :o)

• candy_ny
    18 years ago

I think crafting has gotten really sophisticated and lots of people are afraid of trying to craft. It's boards like this that come up with new ideas and encourage people to try them. I am so very glad these forums are once again free to all. I can see things beginning to pick up. I will never cease to be amazed at how clever people can be with little or nothing.

• cocooner
    18 years ago

This is a most interesting discussion. My husband and I have a crafting business. He decided that he wanted to do this and this is how he makes his living. He makes oak upholstered storage hassocks. We have been building the business and he is doing OK. We have a website WoodChef.com (he likes to cook also so there are recipes), but for whatever reason do not sell much off there. The piece is practical so I think that's why it sells. It is a country styled piece with wainscoting; I wonder how long people will like the design. Folks who want to get something at Walmart will, but most appreciate his handwork. He does work hard at it.

cocooner

• patty_cakes
    18 years ago

This is my first time here, and since I thought this was an interesting discussion, here's my 2 cents. It seems that the focus on crafts has changed from home crafts to self crafts~jewelry making, purses, hair adornments, are just a few. I also believe, since the majority of crafters are women, they are doing more in home decorating, as opposed to crafting. Thrift shopping, or 'junking', has caught on, and women who would never have set foot in such stores are now picking up furniture and re-furbishing it with paint. ;o)

patty_cakes

• connie_tx
    18 years ago

I too know for sure that shows are a thing of the past. I have been in the handmade business for 20 years this year and used to do a big well known show here in Texas. It died about 5 years ago. Meaning all they got were people in dirty t shirts and people who came to copy. Then the import craze began. All you would see is people passing off the imports or buy sell as we used to call it and that ruined the shows. So therefore the public quit coming and paying $4-6 dollars to come see our products. Why when you can get it at any dollar store. Thats another thing. The dollar stores hurt pretty badly. People do not want to pay much for anything anymore. But I have managed to hold on all these years. We work ourselfs to death day and night every day of our lifes for this. We design build and I handpaint childrens furniture. It is very hard long work. Nothing is stained or pegged with buttons. I started my own web site about 3 years ago this past October and this year it finally got noticed and now we are in the top 6 in the search engines without me paying anything. If they only knew we do not get enough sales even though we are better quality and price than the few other sites in our field. We do a once a month Market decorating show here in Texas that draws 100 to 300 thousand people in the good months. Some months we make enough to pay our bills and nothing more and some we make a bit more to buy something else for ourselfs not our business all the time. It is a tough world out there. We still work every day about 16 hours a day and are worn out. We however do something that most would not do or could not do. I think this is always the case. The more ususual or harder the product to make the better you stand a chance of making it out there and selling your product. You cannot copy someone elses product or change it a bit and make any money at it. They must not be able to buy it anywhere else. Also my 2 cents worth on the craft stores. Hobby Lobby carrys very little product to construct anything. They have gone to selling imports and pre made products instead of components to make your own or design anything. It used to be when the first opened up it was all about supplies for the craftsman to make their own product. Now a days you better have a good imagination to put something together with what they have to offer...ha ha
    anyone else feel this way that has been at this as long as we have. This is our full time business and has been our only sole income for 20 years as well.

Connie

• sue102
    18 years ago

I love to craft but my tastes change from time to time and so do the crafts I try. I periodically get rid of my specialized craft things but keep the old standbys of paints, wood pieces and glues. That allows me to change what I try.

The last time I went to a craft show I felt like I'd stepped back into time 10-20 years as the crafts they were trying to sell were old and obviously not selling very well. Goose clothes, jewelry, lots of wooden shelves, doll clothes etc. I was bored and very disappointed that craft shows haven't kept up with changing times.
    Sue

• connie_tx
    18 years ago

You must be back East? That is what we hear that they still sell. We don't and never will here in Texas sell all those poop bags and candy wrappers never heard of them. They sound old timey as well. Texas is on top of the designs just cost so much to make them anymore. I cannot believe that Geese are still being made. I am 50 and when I started doing shows back in 1976 they were the hot thing along with bread dough mushrooms and chicken stuff. I even made pussy willow mice. I laugh so hard when I think of all the things I sold back then and was making 1500.00 a craft show back then on them. In my hayday I could top 3000.00 on that stuff. I never did geese or doll clothes just cute chicken stuff or things for the kitchen. If I only had one of each thing I made I would open up a museum for all us older days crafters so we could show the public now just how long ago that was in and how silly it all was. I just cannot believe you when you say Sue what you saw at the last Craft show. Maybe back east they are not as up to date on things.

• louisville_crafter
    18 years ago

I participate in craft shows in the Louisville area. My sales will decrease each year if I continue to do the same shows year after year, but going to new shows will up my sales. The reason? different shoppers. And I really need new stuff every year - maybe along the same lines, but different. Otherwise, people will just walk on by. Louisville has lots of small craft shows (Saturday 9:00 to 3:00) and only one big weekend show at a high school. As is true everywhere, crafters will have a drop in sales when the people in charge let the "ohio wholsale" people in.

• connie_tx
    18 years ago

We did a show in Louisville many years ago with Affair of the Heart out of OKC It was the worst experience of our lifes in the business. NO ONE came... cost me 800.00 for the booth 3 days of driving and motel. 4 days of 120.00 moel per night fees and all the gas. I think we made maybe $600.00. Some of the locals came and talked with me and told us that the public thought it was just another heart function. Said they have many function or fund raisers to do with the Heart since they had a big heart hospital or something other there. I think Affair went back because they had to on their contract but never did return. There were not 100 people who came thru in the 3 days we sold at the show. I feel for you Its a big city but if they don't support events like that it forces you to travel. But I never in my 20 years in this business as our sole income have ever sold much close to home.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    17 years ago

I think people forget that most housecrafts were never intended as income-producers. the most wonderful examples were things made for family members, for one's own home, for a friend.

the production of hand-work for public consumption has historically been at the hands of what amounted to indentured servants- we all remember the stories of the lace makers going blind at 25, don't we?

I think the whole craft-fair thing got out of hand much like the Beanie Bear phenomenon, and now it's dying off under its own weight, as the successes move into galleries and boutiques and catalogs, and the rest of the pack go back to doing it for the sake of doing it, instead of trying to make a business out of it.

• sweets98
    17 years ago

You know chinacat, you may be right. The crafting thing got popular and then people thought they could get rich so tons of people started trying to do it. Now there are so many crafters that you can find stuff everywhere and so people may still be buying, it's just one person isn't making as much as they used to. There are also too many people doing the same items, patterns, designs, etc. I think to be sucessful you have to be different!

• sharoncrafts
    17 years ago

I have not stopped crafting, just changed direction. Where I used to make whatever the latest craze was, I now make items to send to our military. Some of them are cooling scarves, sand scarves, wound covers and such. What a rewarding way to make things that are useful to such a appreciative group. I now crochet and sew more than ever, not to mention sending e-mails, letters and gift boxes to our bravest.

• edselpdx
    17 years ago

Do what you love for yourself and for people you love. If you expect to make money at it, you've already realized that it won't work anymore. I learn new crafts on a semi monthly basis because I get bored by doing the same thing over and over again. Next thing for me is glass on glass mosaic. I have a couple of particular projects in mind, so I will learn the craft, complete my projects and likely move on, as I always have. Craft is not dead and never will be. Only you can make it live and thrive for you. The wonder and enjoyment are in the objects and in the process. Make it your own and don't stop learning.