SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2sweetpea

Anti Virus Problem Solved, this might help someone else. (long)

2sweetpea
17 years ago

I should preface this by saying that I use AOL for email, not their fire wall or Anti Virus, more on this later.

I had a problem, My Norton Internet Security 2006 was not receiving its Automatic Liveupdate and I would get an error when I tried to manually do it, (after opening Norton Anti Virus- said to reinstall Live Update.) The last Liveupdate I had received was Dec. 14 the scan that ran without a problem was on Dec. 18. I noticed the problem on the 25th, when my scheduled scan did not occur and checking the program revealed that I had not received my automatic Updates for the week.

The stand alone Liveupdate reinstall from Norton wouldnÂt work.

Meanwhile my "Norton Protection Center," part of the program, wouldnÂt load. Another error code- uninstall and reinstall of the Program needed. The only way to reinstall live update was to uninstall the whole program- by downloading the Uninstall tool , according to the CSR at Norton and then reinstalling. All well and good, but the uninstall Tool wouldnÂt download,- said Live update was running. Tried to just remove it from Add/Remove Programs, no luck. The icons on the task bar would periodically disappear. I found I could not always get into the program from the icon on the desktop and when I did get into the program I couldnÂt scan. I couldnÂt disable the program. No matter what I did I couldnÂt get it to close, or disable it so that I could run Housecall or Panda. I tried system restore and couldnÂt get a restore point. Tried doing everything in Safe mode- Norton doesnÂt uninstall from Add/ Remove in Safe mode, but I was able to scan- nothing wrong there. Used Adaware, all clear. Talked to Norton again, they gave me instructions for removing the parts of the program , in the safe mode, but ¾ through when it came to deleting the actual program I couldnÂt as it said part of the program was running. I hadnÂt gotten to the last step which involved changing the registry, so I could restore everything from my recycle bin with no problem.

Finally, I recalled that sometime during that week (18-25) I had received an AOL Security Update. With much digging through the AOL Member Help Chat rooms I came across a similar problem. The possible solution, so simple, was to go to ADD/ Remove Programs and select to remove AOL- one can choose which parts of the program to remove. The suggestion was to remove their Spy Protection Program- I was prepared to remove the entire security program if necessary.

I removed the Spy Protection-Voila! Everything was back to normal. Icons in place, program running, Live update worked, my scan ran. Just to be sure I ran Panda and Housecall. All was fine!

Comment (1)