SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msm84

AntiVirus 8 ?

msm84
13 years ago

Last night my grand-daughter called and said she had this thing popping up on her laptop called AntiVirus8 and it was telling her she had a virus. I asked her if she clicked on it and she said she x-ed it out and ran her antivirus program, but it came up clean. Ofcourse the popup was still there so she called me. I had her download Malwarebytes and run that. It came up with one thing, but AV8 was still there. At that point I suggested she just take her laptop into BestBuy where she got it from and have them check it out. (I have no idea if this mess will be covered under her extended warranty.)

My question would be; She uses a satilite connection (Wild Blue) with a router as her internet connection. Dose she need to do anything to make sure the router is clean as it is connected to her older desktop too, but the desktop was not on at the time. I know nothing about routers and how to handle this type of stuff with them. I just don't want her to get her laptop clean and then connect and still have problems.

The laptop is only 4 months old, running Windows 7.

TIA

Comments (11)