SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestgal_gw

Gaggenau induction installation - HELP please!

midwestgal
14 years ago

If anyone out there has a Gaggenau 36" induction cooktop, we could really use some help. Our cabinets are already installed and we are one week away from countertop installation. We originally planned to have a Wolf 36" induction cooktop and as such, our base cabinet was designed to Wolf specs (the cabinet is 38 inches wide with a fake top drawer face and two drawers below to hold pots and pans). We purchased the Wolf unit on March 31, 2009 (paid in full) and were told that it usually took six weeks to arrive from the distributor. Six months later, we were told that Wolf still couldn't deliver our appliance, so we demanded a refund and switched to Gaggenau. We checked the dimensions on-line before purchasing to make sure the unit would fit in the cabinet as built. The dimensions were fine.

We downloaded the installation instuctions from the Gagg website, but there is nothing mentioned about ventilation. When I went to the distributor showroom (in Brisbane, CA) to see a demo, they were out of the planning guides and although they promised to send me one, they never did. Just yesterday, I was at another dealer who had the planning guide so I picked one up. Lo and behold, there is an entire page of ventilation guidelines / requirements - none of which are mentioned in the installation guide that I downloaded from the Gaggenau website. Grrrr!

I called tech support and described the situation and the first person I spoke to said to install it without worrying about ventilation. What??? I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said she was on another line and he'd have her call me back. She never did. I called again today and spoke to another person, relayed the entire discrepancy again, was put on hold forever and when they came back on the line, told me that I was correct, the ventilation requirements shown in the hard-to-get planning guide are indeed necessary, but unfortunately, those guidelines are for some unknown reason, not in the install guide and are nowhere on the Gagg website. They thanked me for pointing out the error and told me that I did indeed need to provide the ventilation cutouts as described in the planning guide. When I asked to speak to tech support to clarify the hard-to-read diagrams, she told me that tech support could not speak to homeowners for liability reasons!!! I was dumbfounded! I reminded her that I had just informed Gaggenau that their own on-line installation guide was incomplete and she still refused!

Basically, my cabinets are already installed and now I need to figure out how to have my carpenter modify the box so that we are providing the necessary air flow to prevent overheating of the electronics. The diagram in the planning guide is difficult to understand and tech support won't talk to me because I'm a homeowner, not an installer ???? Help! If anyone can show me what they did to their cabinet to provide ventilation I'd kiss the ground you walk on.

BTW, my cabinets are full 3/4 inch plywood boxes (top, back, bottom and sides) on adjustable height feet. The boxes are secured to the wall with screws that go through the cabinet back and through a 1/2 inch ledger/shim. There is a full toe kick scribed to the floor. I just don't see how the air flow is all that great behind, and under, the cabinet box when those spaces are sealed by scribe material and ledgers.

Oh, and my designer is on vacation so I can't contact her for help!

Comments (11)