Houzz Logo Print
zep516

sun-java-critical - update

zep516
15 years ago

Comments (17)

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

Its Greek to me...I have no idea what to do,,,help anyone?

• zep516
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Â Download the latest version of Java from from here
    Scroll down to where it says " Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11 actually it is the first one listed
    Â allows end-users to run Java applications".

Â Click the "Download" button to the right.
    Â Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".

click Here
    Â The page will refresh.
    Â Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    Â Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    Â Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    Â Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    - Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
    o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
    o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
    o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    o J2SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 6
    Â Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    Â Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
    Â Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    Â Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

Well I click on your link Zep and downloaded the latest version of Java but when I went to desktop Microsoft would not allow install, so went to Sun Java and downloaded from there, was unable to put ot on the desktop but had uninstalled the Java I had in the control panel so have the "11" installed now rebooted, does it sound like I have done it right? have windows XPsp2.

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

I have a folder in downloads Java RA, "created 11/29/08
    version 1.0.11.1183
    When I click on it wants to download should I do that???

• zep516
    Original Author
    15 years ago

� Download the latest version of Java from from here
    Scroll down to where it says " Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11 actually it is the first one listed
    � allows end-users to run Java applications".

� Click the "Download" button to the right.
    � Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".

� The page will refresh.
    � Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    � Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    � Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    � Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    - Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
    o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
    o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
    o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    o J2SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 6
    � Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    � Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
    � Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    � Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

• zep516
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry folks having a little trouble here ignore the first post where it says "Click here" that part was not to be included the only thing that needs to be clicked is "From here"

Again sorry about that

• zep516
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gillian,

I think you're ok you do not have to download it from java RA,

I probably should use java RA instead of those long instructions I give, any way java RA will install the same thing so no need to do it.

zep

• salbwil
    15 years ago

Is Java 6 update 7 one to remove ? I hope so, cause I did , after installing 6 update 11.
    salbwil

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

yes salbwil any others prior to the newest one can be deleted once you have the new one in place.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Can't comment on Zep516's link and information as I didn't use them. What I can say is I went to FileHippo and downloaded from there and didn't have to do anything other than shutdown IE and accept the EULA. The download also removed the prior version v6update10 all by itself.

Go figure.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: FileHippo

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

DA that is something that they just built into the newest versions, finally, that it should remove the older versions, everyone has been begging them to do that to stop the vulnerabilities that are left on a pc when the old versions are still on the computer, since so many users have no idea they needed to manually remove them.
    However I have been seeing people on some forums having some problems with the latest update so if anyone does experience problems come give a shout.
    I always just go to my java console in control panel and hit the update button there.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

As late as v6update10 there was no built-in uninstaller used here. I still had to remove prior versions. So it was a surprise to me. I did see a "removing files" action take place during installation.

Never read any "begging" for an uninstaller.

There hasn't been an update of any type ever released that some users haven't had trouble with. The possibilities of why are endless.

DA

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

on the support forums they have been asking for quite some time for them to implement the self uninstall feature because they have to constantly give the directions on how to go about removing the old versions each time they help someone clean out their pc, those old versions were often why they got infected so that is where I was referencing. It is one added step that they were having to go through with just about every person which now should hopefully be not needed.
    On BBR I know several times they have set up polls to see how many had removed all old versions of java and how many knew they were supposed to, they were gathering the info to help show how important it was to get that feature.

• msm84
    15 years ago

When I checked my Add/Remove list after downloading and installing the new update from the Java console there was still 2 older versions listed along with the new update.

J2SE Runtime Enviroment 5.0 update 6
    (which I removed) and
    J2SE Runtime Enviroment 6.0 update 5
    (which was not listed in the post above)

I assume it needs to be removed too, but I thought I'd better ask first.

I sure was hoping you were correct Ravencajan and the older verisons would be automatically removed when the new update was installed, but that wasn't the case.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Feel free to remove it as you did update 6.

DA

• maybee_gw
    15 years ago

I have Java 6 Update 11...is that what I'm supposed to have?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I think that it only removes the one just prior to it not all the other old ones or at least that is what I understood. so now once you have all old ones out and the newest in place it should start removing the one it is replacing.
    And of course you know things do not always work so it may not work as well as they planned.

Yes maybee that is the one.