SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katierenee9090

Critique these plans! Tell me whats lacking!!

9 years ago

Hi! I'm new to posting on the boards but I have been reading for years! My husband and I are ready to build a house of our own now and we need help!
We own 7 acres in rural La that we plan to build on next year. The land will be cleared in the next month or so! We are trying to quickly finalie our design plans so we can get them out to contractors to bid.
This is our forever home. We have no plans on leaving this area and we bought land specifically near family, so we want this house to suit our needs from here on out. We have no children currently but plan to in the next couple of years.
I am attaching our favorite floor plan and a link to the website. We have been looking for years but can't find the perfect plan. This one comes close but we still want to change several things so we are planning to meet with someone soon. I have some calls out right now to several drafters and architects in the area. Can anyone look over this and tell me what we may not be seeing that could also need changing! The selling point on this house honestly is the kitchen. I love big kitchens with big islands or bars.
Here is what I want changed right off the bat!
1. The outside is not our style at all. I'd like it squared up some to bring costs down and to put a larger porch on the front and give it a more southern or acadian style look.
2. Move the closet door to the inside of the masters bedroom instead of bath. Also possible cut the closet in half to make a secret room for a gun safe.
3. Take out the fireplace and the door from masters bedroom to outside.
4. Get rid of the cathedral ceilings! Likely 10ft throughout instead.

We are good with the square footage- it is 2340 bottom floor and another 600 upstairs in bonus. We are also considering adding more bonus if possible but again cost.

What else are we missing? Anywhere where we need more space? Anywhere we are wasting space and could reduce it?

My head is running 90 to nothing! I would love to be able to go into a meeting with someone and say this is what we want and have it all spelled out. lol

Comments (16)