SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Floor Plan Modifications - Help me Critique

autumn.4
11 years ago

Hello all.

I've found a couple different plans that I like but neither are *perfect*. If you could help me with the pros and cons of each I would be grateful!

A little bit about us:

Building on a wooded lot within the next 2ish years.

2 kids (7 & 9)

1 70# dog

We are drawn to the split bedroom plan because dh works different shifts and we'd like to keep foot traffic/noise down by the boys bedrooms. I did find one that seems to be the best of both worlds with all bedroom on one side but different hallways.

We do not need a formal dining room and would find a media/office room much more useful. We need to stay around 1900-2000 sq. ft. We do hope for this to be our forever house so it will need to span our current season of life as well as when we are empty nesters. I do have family that comes out of town to visit and they stay with us. Likely we will either opt for finishing the bonus room above the garage or put a bathroom and bedroom in the basement which is very common in our parts.

The first picture is around 1900 sq foot - not sure since I did some handy work with MS paint.

Issues:

No stairs.....where could/should they go?

I would like a half bath somewhere.

Is the kitchen TOO open and TOO far from the entry?

No foyer - is the room big enough for an entryway of sorts for guests shoes, etc.?

Mudroom - took that from something Summerfield drew up and I LOVE IT but it wasn't the same dimensions as what this plan had.

I really want a screened porch (too many bugs in MI, esp in the woods) but not over the kitchen as I need light and in the woods I think it'd be too dark. Any thoughts on how that would be best?

Is the master bath layout efficient? I like the separate closets but that is a lot of doorways. Also I don't need a vanity and wonder if I could move the shower over by the tub and then move the closet door. Not sure if that matters.

Now for the second one, it's too large as is - 2,149 sq feet. It's a Don Gardner Plan - The Whitney

Quick entry to kitchen

Feels more open?

E-space in kitchen area

Issues:

Mudroom is way too small

No half bath

Breakfast space is really too small for much - if it was bigger I could ditch the dining room

Are there too many entry's to and from the great room?

How can I shrink it?

I couldn't get both pictures to link so I will post the first one next. Sorry! Anything you can point out would be helpful. We didn't make it to any parade homes this year and I am terrible at visualizing off of measurements alone.

Thank you in advance for whatever you've got to give!

Comments (12)