SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimkok

New Build Plan Review

kkok
10 years ago

Hi. We are doing a new build project and would love to get some input from this community about our floor plan. This is for a family of 4(me and wife and 2 boys under 10 years old). We've gone through a couple of iterations already with the architect where we eliminated the 5th bedroom upstairs and made it into a master sitting area with a covered porch, added more windows, moved the laundry from the first floor to the upstairs, etc.

The one thing that I am not sure about is the location of the master WIC. Currently we have it so that we have to go through the master bath each time to get to that closet. Do you think that makes sense? Previously, the master WIC came down to the space that is now marked as Exercise Area and there was a wall dividing the laundry and the master WIC with a door on that wall. So, one could go directly from the closet to the laundry area then out to the main upstairs landing area. We thought that that was too much space to be dedicating to the Master WIC as well as taking over 50% of the upstairs floor space for the master suite. Thus we asked to wall off part of that master WIC for the exercise area and shared that with the laundry space. Is there a better layout to could accommodate what we are looking for in the upstairs floor plan:

Laundry upstairs
Covered porch
Master sitting srea
Exercise area for a elliptical machine without it being in the master sitting area
Maximize space for bedroom 3 and 4 where the boys will sleep(part of bedroom 2 goes over the garage and we didnt want one of the boys to use that as their primary bedroom).

Please also look at the first floor plans as well. We will be using the bedroom in the main floor as my office/study. I have some concern about the working triangle in the kitchen, please let me know if we can improve on the flow of the kitchen area as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback.

Comments (17)