SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steelcfo

Pro Rangetop Installation Help Needed

steelcfo
13 years ago

I am posting this in both the Appliance and Kitchen forum. Sorry for the length.

We are going to be purchasing a professional rangetop (Capital Culinarian) and are running into questions with the cabinet supplier (purchasing semi-custom line). I cannot seem to find anyone that has specifically installed this type of rangetop and I am not sure the cabinet supplier is correct in what they say I need to order. Since I am planning on installing the cabinets myself, I need to know what I am purchasing is correct so I limit the amount of alterations to the base cabinet on-site to accommodate the rangetop.

The cabinet supplier is telling me I need to purchase a 27" depth base cabinet as the overall depth of the unit is 26-5/8". In looking at the install instructions, it does not state what depth cabinet is required, however it looks like there can be over 2" of overhang in some pictures I have seen of installed rangetops. In comparing this unit to a Wolf, Viking and Bluestar (of which I looked at all their install instructions), the weight and the dimensions are very similar. Only the Wolf states that a 24" base "is assumed" in their notes. The others are as silent as the Capital instructions. Again only the Wolf shows that a platform is to be installed but I am sure the cabinet cannot support the unit by itself as the weight is in excess of 200 lbs. on all of these units, so I am sure the other brands need platforms as well. At this point it seems that everyone's installation instructions are very limited.

While most people are installing ranges on this board, I am seeking the advice from anyone who has had or has installed a rangetop. If you have pictures of the cabinet prior to installation of the rangetop as well as after the installation, I would be most grateful so I can better visualize what I am undertaking. My specific questions are: did you install on a 24" depth base cabinet? What modifications were done to the base cabinet, if any on-site? Does the base cabinet still have stiles or are the stiles removed so only the bottom portion of the cabinet exists (essentially the base cabinet is no higher than the platform all the way around)? How did you attach the support platform that the top sits on? Does your counter top butt up against the edge of the rangetop or is there a lip of some type on the rangetop that overlaps the counter? If there is no lip, how do you prevent stuff from falling through to the inside of the cabinet?

I know that Rhome410 and Salmon Slayer have professional rangetops so I am hoping them or anyone else can help me so I can get this cabinet ordered. Thanks for all your help.

Tom

Comments (21)