SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spf5209

Has this happened to you?

spf5209
13 years ago

Earlier this year, we shopped around to pre-qualify for a construction/to perm loan. We could only find two banks in the area (WV panhandle/Western MD) that offered one at a reasonable rate/fees. I should mention that we should be their dream customer, good job, no debt, 30% down, credit score >760. Now that we are ready to build, one says they don't offer construction loans and the loan officer denies ever offering this type of loan (despite the GFE we have and both my wife and I present during the hour-long discussion of draws, etc.). Needless to say we are happy not to do business with them (but perplexed).

The other bank has now changed the terms of the GFE raising the construction interest rate from 5.00% to 5.75% and the origination fee from 1.0 to 1.5%. In addition, the truth in lending form has a much higher interest rate, early pay off will not refund the finance charges, and is written with a balloon payment of the full house price due in one year. I will have my lawyer review it because I'm concerned that one interpretation could be if they won't convert to a permanent loan or I can't find another loan, they can call the full loan and foreclose.

Is this common practice? Anyone else running into this?

Comments (11)