SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrizia007

What Happened Here? - Boot Agent Message

Patriz
16 years ago

Hi All,

I'd like to know what happened to my Dell Inspiron laptop, so that this situation can possibly be avoided in the future. If anyone can shed some light onto this, I'd appreciate it.

My son was using the Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop (Windows XP, Linksys wireless adapter), and then suddenly the internet connection was lost. I checked and the network adaptor/lan connections completely disappeared from the computer. The computer functioned fine, except that there were no internet connections. I ran spyware and a virus program, checked the firewall, and it didn't pick up anything.

I tried several things, like going into safe mode to restore but it would not allow me to restore. After several things, I called Dell support. After being on the phone for an hour trying to work out solutions, the tech told me that the motherboard was bad and that it needed to be replaced. This message was constant, regardless of what we tried: "PXE-E05: The Lan Adapters configurations are corrupted or has not been initialized. The boot agent cannot continue." I could not believe that the laptop was done and all of the sudden the motherboard was bad and I was looking at trashing a $2000.00 laptop.

Leave it to a curious 11 year-old. My son found a Dell BIOS upgrade CD for this laptop, and guess what - the computer rebooted and everything is in new working order. The network adaptor/connections have all been restored. I sent Dell an email in return, as they had never even mentioned that a BIOS upgrade might solve the issue. Dell did call me back and said that this was a new issue for them, and I said that the tech and supervisor should have at least mentioned BIOS upgrade rather than saying the motherboard went bad.

Anywayyyyy, what happened initally to even get this problem with the network adaptor/connections disappearing? We have 4 other computers (HP, Gateway, Sony, IBM) and I have never had this problem with any one of them.

Thanks for any insight :)

Trish

Comments (2)