SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chsigx_gw

1960's Frigidaire Double Wall oven heating problem

chsigx
9 years ago

I'm hoping someone with appliance repair knowledge can point me in the right direction.
I've got an early 1960's Frigidaire Custom Imperial Double wall oven, Model:RBGB-99 CH (estimate 1959-1963).
Recently the top oven stopped heating to proper temps, only the top broiler element is heating up.
So far I've checked the following:
Swapped bake element from top not working oven into bottom working oven, it works fine so I do not think the element is bad.
Checked for voltage at the connection of the element, I get ~120V on the RH side to the middle ground, but the LH side to the middle ground gets 0V.
Checked the voltage at all of the contacts on the thermostat, both with the oven turned on and off to determine inputs vs outputs of the stat.
Compared those same values to the t-stat on the working lower oven, there is no difference, so I think the T-stat is also functioning.
The clock connection appears to be wired before the T-stat so I do not think it is an issue with cook timer failing because the T-stat should not get power if the clock was bad, and both outputs from the t-stat measured ~120V with the oven on, and 0V with it off.

Any ideas what to check next? I am hoping not to replace it, because it is both a cool feature in our kitchen and it is built into our chimney so the cost to modify the opening to accept a new size oven would be very very high. There are no wall ovens on the market that fit our opening.
Thank you in advance if you can help!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!