SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyson1111

Electrolux Icon double oven problems

alyson1111
12 years ago

I purchased a new Electrolux Icon Pro 30 inch double oven (Model E30EW85GPS5) May 2011 and they were installed in late July 2011. I have had problem after problem with these ovens. Is anyone else having similar issues and how have they been fixed?

While I believe the Electrolux is a good oven it is also very clear that they do have some problems and as a newer appliance line the problems are now just coming out. So here are the problems only one of which I believe is a design issue, the balance I think are bad parts and that I unfortunately have a very expensive lemon in my new kitchen.

The problems:

September 2011- the upper oven door frame started to separate and come apart-- a new door frame was ordered and installed-- 2 vists to complete repair

November-December 2011- upper oven did not seem to be accurately calibrated and was running either too cold or too hot. This caused my cooking time to be off for both Thanksgiving and Xmas parties. January 2012 and new circuit board was installed after the technician verified that the ovens were fluctuating at times as much as 85 degrees above and below the set temperature. - 2 visits to complete this repair.

January 2012- The bottom oven has stopped heating completely following running it through its first self cleaning cycle (that did work but made my house smell for two days diid something internally in the oven melt?). The oven has power and the fan comes on but none of the heating elements heat up, so it can't be used. Waiting for a technician to come diagnose the problem

January 2012-The door frame is coming apart on the bottom oven, same problem that I had on the top oven in September 2011. Waiting for a technician to come evaluate this problem too.

The glide out racks continuously roll in and don't stay out. When I asked the first technician about this he said that they will stay out when a pan is on them with weight--not so. These ovens were installed into a brand new custom built kitchen and we have checked and rechecked; everything is plum level in the cabinet box the oven was installed in. This was 100% custom built kitchen not a prefab kitchen boxes kitchen. If the ovens worked I could live with the annoyance of the racks but it has caused me to burn myself since you have to hold onto the rack once it is pulled out and if you are trying to turn thing over you need to master holding the pan AND rack with one hand as you use the other hand to turn the item, a third hand would be nice OR racks that stay out when you pull them out.

The non-glide out standard racks (one in each oven) tend to stick unless you pull those out perfectly straight. When I complained to the technician about this problem in September he said "yes they tend to do that and Electrolux is aware, there is no fix, just don't use those racks".

BTW I also had a problem on my Electrolux Icon Pro 36 inch slide in gas cook top. One of the cast iron grates cracked the first time I used the cooktop. I was told that was not a warranty item and had to purchase a replacement grate at a cost of over $150.

My experience is soooo different than what I had researched on these appliances. .To be continued I'm guessing

Comments (19)