SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

Thanks GW! [large pics, sorry]

Oaktown
9 years ago

We've been in for a few weeks now -- while there's a lot left to do inside, we have a house! I wanted to thank folks here for all of the help and input on the structure.

[I can't seem to get photobucket to change the html when I resize to make the photos smaller]

Garage: We have a detached garage connected by a breezeway. Originally designed with a hip roof, at the suggestion of virgilcarter and a lot of others we changed to a gable-and-shed which allowed us to drop the plate. This turned out to be fortuitous because the architect had not accounted for a large tree limb.

Couldn't just do a gable since we needed to make the breezeway roof connector work out but also wanted to keep the garage ridge height down:

Vents and air intakes: We really wanted to minimize roof penetrations, so the architect designed chimneys to contain the vents. We had an issue with an intake placement given the required distance from exhausts, but thanks to worthy, Renovator8, dadereni, live_wire_oak and others, here it is, on the back of the chimney on the back side of the house. I think it looks better than a mushroom! (couldn't even get a photo before a lot of the leaves came down.)

{{gwi:1505923}}

And windows: Had a lot of questions addressed here and in Windows by millworkman, lzerac, rosefolly, billygoatjoe and others. We ended up with Loewen French push out casements and casements, LoE 272. These are lovely units, really liking them so far and the clear vg fir is standard. Downstairs we have the retractable screens and fir trim (this is a crank because I couldn't reach a pushout over the sink). We will leave the little pull tabs on the retractable screens so that I can reach them since the windows are set at 7' (as opposed to 6'8" at our old house) -- turns out just a few inches can make a big difference.

And upstairs we used mostly the swing screens and painted trim:

Anyway, thanks to everyone!

This post was edited by Oaktown on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 19:32

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH