SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janette_orz7

?'s about Secunia

Janette_ORz7
15 years ago

I have been using Secunia for about a month and everything always showed up with no problems. Until earlier this week, it says I need some updates, and I need your advice. Since the request for updates came through Secunia is it ok to download them? for instance, it says I need

Adobe Flash Player 9.x

Macromedia Flash Player 6.x

Real Player 10.x

Shockwave Player 10.x

But when I went to the direct download link for Adobe & Macromedia, I got a notice that the download was blocked, and to click the bar to download. I'm thinking this is just added security and I should allow it in, but I'm not sure. Do I need all the above, or have they somehow sneaked in when I wasn't looking or maybe replace with something else?

Also, Windows Update shows the following updates. Should I let any of them in? I don't use IE except for updates, so I don't think I need that one. I don't use the Windows Search (so far as I know) so I don't think I need that one. Silverlight mentions Firefox, so I don't know about that one. I'm not familiar with what Silverlight is/does. And the Root Certificates I'm thinking yes, but it says it cannot be removed, so I want to be sure.

Optional software updates

Microsoft Windows XP

Update for Root Certificates

Download size: 296 KB , less than 1 minute

This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

Don't show this update again

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

Download size: 5.3 MB , less than 1 minute

Windows Search 4.0 helps you to find, preview, and use your documents, e-mail, music, photos, and other items. On an upgrade from previous versions, you will need to rebuild your index. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

Download size: 14.7 MB , 1 minute

This free upgrade to Internet Explorer customers offers improvements such as enhanced security, a cleaner look, and features to make everyday tasks such as printing and searching the web easier. This upgrade preserves your current home page, search settings, favorites, and compatible toolbars, and can be uninstalled if you decide to do so. Details...

Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)

Download size: 4.6 MB , less than 1 minute

Microsoft Silverlight is a lightweight browser plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox that blends animation, audio/video, and interactivity to deliver richer Web site experiences. Details...

Thank all of you guys and gals for what you do.

Janette

Comments (3)