SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

MW drawer vs. steam/micro combo?

12 years ago

I have to admit, I had never even heard of a steam oven before hanging out at Gardenweb. I still am very foggy (ha ha) on what exactly this device is used for and whether it would be a good choice for me. Can you help?

I had originally planned to use a countertop MW tucked into an upper cabinet. A recent thread of mine on the kitchen forum hashed out this plan, and, in the end, I decided to make room for a 30" MW drawer in a lower cabinet.

Given that I have set this space (and $) aside, is there another oven, such as a steam/micro combo, that would be preferred? To date, I use the MW principally for reheating leftovers and occasional defrosting. (I vacuum-pack a lot of my foods, so I often defrost them in a bowl of water instead.) Occasionally I use the MW to steam veggies or to preheat a potato to cut down on baking time.

The steam function interests me, although I don't know its capabilities well. Any input on it or other non-conventional oven modes appreciated. I do insist that whatever I get *does* have a MW mode.

Thanks!

Comments (2)